Thread: SLC Klunk!

mtbr member

SLC Klunk!

So I have been brainstorming an idea I wanted to cruise past y'all. I'm been thinking come this late spring and summer, we should have some clunker rides/races.

I'm thinking of getting some organized here in northern Utah. They would be underground and informal. There's an active alley cat scene here for the fixie crowd and there should be more fun underground mountain bike events.

A brief simple explanation of a clunker or klunker: Some of the first mountain bikes out of Marin County, California and Crested Butte, Colorado. They were old cruisers modified with BMX and motocross parts and bombed down dirt roads. The events were usually beer and weed fueled relaxed events and kind of an anti-thesis to competitive road bike racing at the time.

There would be rules about what kind of bike you could ride. Modified beach cruisers, BMX cruisers, old MTBs, would be kind of what you'd want. Some of these races elsewhere require things like SS or coaster brake only. I would want to be more inclusive but you'd probably have to leave the suspension and carbon fiber at home.

I've only been here couple years so has this been done already?

And would you all be interested in participating and helping get it going?

And any thoughts and ideas?

Mtn Biker Machinist
    I'd be game. I have a Schwinn cruiser setup for klunking, sounds fun! We should find a long dirt road downhill like Repack to bomb down!

frog

mtbr member
    Sounds like fun. If I bought one of these would I be considered a poser?

http://transitionbikes.com/2013/Bikes_Klunker.cfm?Token={ts_2013-01-22_11:26:45}-39d792a09e39a435-20B531B2-BC68-3ADB-671D9EFE93E24720

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by rideut View Post
    Sounds like fun. If I bought one of these would I be considered a poser?
    Works for me, in fact yours has a coaster brake in the rear, which makes it closer to the original Klunkers of Repack fame.

The race was named Repack because after each run, they would have to repack the rear drum brake hubs with grease. The length of the downhill heated the grease and basically burned it up.

Later iterations had cantilever brakes, then those transitioned to the first purpose built mountain bikes.

My klunker has the ability to run discs or canti's in front, but has a rear drum out back. It is sketchy at best! I made some bolt on canti mounts for the rear that are better than the drum brake, but not great.

frog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SLC Klunk!-img_0344.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i have a transition klunker on order so im down to klunk when it gets here. i would love to have a group to klunk against

mtbr member
    Awesome! I'm glad there's interest. I'm for sure going to get them going. I'm thinking toward the end of May (as long as it remains a relatively mild winter) and once a month through the summer. But totally open to suggestions.

As for bikes, I want it to be pretty inclusive. I want anyone who wants to ride to be able to ride. But there will be some rules about bikes (no suspension, etc.)

I'm in the market for a klunker myself. I've had a handful of "true" one's I've built over the years, a couple King Stings, and some BMX cruisers but unfortunately I've sold them all
    Those Transitions are awesome. Our courses will be a little less gnar than those videos.

I welcome all ideas, suggestions, and I will need help planning and organizing. And I'll keep y'all posted throughout the next few months.

-Justice

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    I'm thinking toward the end of May (as long as it remains a relatively mild winter)
    -Justice
    Mild winter? I was just thinking how much this winter sucks!

Last year I was riding in 50 deg sunshine on Jan 2nd. This year between the inversion, snow, and now frozen rain, I want to stay inside all winter.

The only thing keeping me going is the hope of early spring and some good riding ahead!

Keep us posted on the Klunks, sounds like a rip! I may have to figure out my brake situation a bit better so I don't die!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    where were thinking about gettin klunkness going? im up here in the ogden area

mtbr member
    For mild winter I guess I meant not a whole lot of snow. As for locales, I'm all ears. I was thinking varying between SLC/Park City/Ogden areas. Y'all decide.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    what about something like a chainless DH. Ive seen pictures of them up in oregon and they seem like a blast

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

All in

Also up in the Ogden area. I'm definitely in on this klunktastic idea!

mtbr member
    Bumpity bump.

It's getting real. Join this face book group to get info as it comes along. I'm open to any and all suggestions about anything. So please let me know if you have any input or want to get involved in planning. For example, we need to figure out locations and such. Will start in May

https://www.facebook.com/groups/147614555407860/