mtbr member
    Feb 2007

SLC - Here I come!

Hey all,
    GF was just accepted to the MBA program at the U so I'll be coming from Vermont in July to relocate. Planning on living in the Sugarhouse/Avenues area for proximity to the school. Anyone live in the area or know someone might have a nice house to rent starting July 1st? What's the riding like in SLC, good trail available from this area. I ride everything from 29ers to DH so I'm stoked to come to the area... Please, enlighten me!

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by tmeyer
    Hey all,
    GF was just accepted to the MBA program at the U so I'll be coming from Vermont in July to relocate. Planning on living in the Sugarhouse/Avenues area for proximity to the school. Anyone live in the area or know someone might have a nice house to rent starting July 1st? What's the riding like in SLC, good trail available from this area. I ride everything from 29ers to DH so I'm stoked to come to the area... Please, enlighten me!
    It's terrible. Rent is $1500+ per month for a half cleaned meth house with dirty syringes for carpet, if you can even find one available, there is no riding within an 2 hour drive, the smog from inversions makes it impossible to breath if you do try to ride and the locals are flipping nut cases and won't leave you alone.

You should tell your GF to come on out to UT but if i were you I'd move to Boulder, CO if you want good riding and cool people, save yourself.

There, that should even out my score after my replies to previous threads on what UT is like.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'll ignore the total BS above and wait for a actual constructive and informative reply. Been to Boulder, no thanks.

Homer's problem child
    I'll ignore the total BS above and wait for a actual constructive and informative reply. Been to Boulder, no thanks.
    Which smiley indicates sarcasm? I thought it was this one

I live in Sugarhouse. There are a few decent riding spots short distances away. Have you ever been to SLC or looked at a topo map of the area or used the search function or visited other sites like www.utahmountainbiking.com/ and checked out their forums? You'll notice a lot of Utards posting lots of pics and stuff.

Appologies.

B
    Last edited by Bortis Yelltzen; 04-04-2008 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Point taken, for real though, gimme something...

Meta6SLC
    Sep 2005

Furnished Apt

I got a 2 bedroom furnish Apt down town.
    Not sure how much you want to spend??

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    900 to 1200, must be in Avenues or Sugarhouse though with storage, I have a lot of bikes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You should find some pretty good riding in Salt Lake. I've lived in Holladay most of my life (a South-East suburb of the city), right next to all of the famous ski resorts in the area. There are a bunch of good rides up those canyons (big and little cottonwood). Some of my favorites are Temple Quarry and the Wasatch Crest trail. My riding buddy also found a DH trail by Solitude somewhere that he said was pretty gnarly.

There's a pretty good DH trail right above the U of U medical center called "Bobsled". It's an extension of the Bonneville Shoreline trail.

I also hear there's some pretty good DH in Park City for when you need a little weekend riding.

Plus, as an added bonus, you're closer to Moab, so when you can get time off work you can drive down there for a week and have some of the best biking anywhere!

You can find a bunch of trails at this site with the trails section as well as here.

Homer's problem child
    900 to 1200, must be in Avenues or Sugarhouse though with storage, I have a lot of bikes!
    For reals though I used to rent in the Avenues. Had a 1300 sqft house with single car garage on 6th and I and it was about $1200/month, after utilities it was more like $1500 cause heating/cooling those old beaters costs lots of $$. I then bought a similar size place in Sugarhouse with a mortgage of about $1500/month. I prefer Sugarhouse, closer to skiing, closer to more stuff, not living in 100+ year old house with the headaches that come with it like the Aves. SH is further from biking though, I miss being able to come home from work at 6 and ride from my garage and bust out 1-2 Bobsled laps before dark.

Rent has gone up a lot with the housing situation, so you probably won't be able to find a house like I rented in the Aves for less than $1300/month and the old houses to me lose their charm after about 6 months of paying rent and utilities in them. There are a lot more people renting right now than buying in SLC from what I hear and rent prices reflect that.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

B

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    Which smiley indicates sarcasm? I thought it was this one

I live in Sugarhouse. There are a few decent riding spots short distances away. Have you ever been to SLC or looked at a topo map of the area or used the search function or visited other sites like BLEEP and checked out their BLEEP forum? You'll notice a lot of Utards posting lots of pics and stuff.

Appologies.

B
    Borts, NO. BAD BORTIS! There shall be NO promoting of TGR on the emptybeer. NO!

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Borts, NO. BAD BORTIS! There shall be NO promoting of TGR on the emptybeer. NO!
    Fixed it.

B

Takin'er easy
    I re-located from Boulder, CO four years ago, and while the culture shock was similar to what you might experience coming from Vermont, the access to the outdoors from a large metro area is unmatched by anywhere in the U.S. Vermont has the lowest birthrate in the nation, and the highest percentage of registered Democratic voters. Utah has the highest birthrate in the nation, along with the highest percentage of registered Republican voters.

As for DH, I wouldn't call "bobsled" DH. It is gravity fed, and very very very fun, especially when pedaling from Sugar House, riding the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, descending Bobsled, and returning home in an hour and a half. The real DH is found north of Salt Lake in Bountiful, and in the Summer we retreat into the Mountains near Park City to escape the heat. Deer Valley has lift access to some decent trails. Last year there was also Wolf Mountain outside of Ogden building a lot of lift-accessed trails for long-travel bikes. I haven't seen the official word on lifts at Wolf Mountain for this coming summer.

Of course, there is also Moab in the SE part of Utah, only 5 hours away, but don't overlook the SW part of Utah which is also only 5 hours away and has some of the best trails on earth.

Basically, your moving to Heaven. Welcome.

Joss
    www.go-ride.com

P.S. You may want to look into learning how to make beer.

Talentless Hack
    Since I work for the U I'd recomend the Avenues due to proximity to riding and your GFs classes . Houses are older and there are less house rentals due to higher homeownership in this neighborhood lately. Hence rents are a bit higher in the Aves. If you want a newer house to rent (condo) look at the area above Foothill drive along Wasatch boulevard close to the U. Some decent living if you can find it, a bit more spendy and a bit removed from most of SLC but still close to riding. Also upper Millcreek is super nice with quick access to Millcreek for summer riding and close to skiing. I lived in Sugarhouse for several years and found it nice, I'd recomend the area right below Foothill Drive, some house rentals there. In general rents have gone up in this area and are not pet friendly. Overall due to high quality city planning by our illustrius Mo forefathers SLC is easy living with minor traffic headachs compared to other cities. You will like it here.

mtbr member
    The University is close proximity to great after work/school riding in the Foothills. There are trailheads all the way from the SLC zoo / Pioneer Monument State Park along the Foothills to Ensign Peak located North of the Avenues. You should be able to use Google Earth to check it out. It will be your bread and butter riding because if you have an hour or more you go ride.

There are also some dirt jumps and big hits above the avenues, skateparks a plenty and people that are active in building up the freeride scene Check WAFTA for more details and contacts. For recreational opportunities you can't go wrong in SLC.