Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Singlespeed in Park City?

Hi everyone. I am planning on a vacation with my family for next month to the beautiful Park City. I wanted to know how singlespeed friendly the trails were around there. Also, if you do SS up there, what gears are you riding? I currently have a 32x20, but could adjust accordingly beforehand. I realize this is a very subjective question, but wanted to throw it out there and hope to hear back. Thanks in advance. :-)
    Last edited by boomvader; 05-31-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    -boom

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lots of people do it.

The Lower trails (Glen wild, Flying dog, Round Valley, etc) are great for a single speed. Climbing is a relatively gentle grades.
    The higher elevation trails have lots of climbing with 6-10% grades sustained for long periods. If your comfortable climbing a 8% grade for 45 minutes on your SS then you will be fine.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Why not give it a try.

mtbr member
    What pedalfaraway said, plus:

Lots of people do it. However, I haven't run into too many tourists in Park City on singlespeeds.
    The base of Park City is at 7000 feet and goes up from there. What elevation do you ride at normally and how much climbing do you tackle in a ride? Are you prepared for a minimum 45 minute climb starting at 7000 feet in elevation? Please submit your riding resume...

Strava and Garmin Connect websites can allow you to look at rides in the area and get a feel for elevation and time. Personally, when I go to a new region to ride, I want to log as many miles as possible. The gears and suspension give me that luxury.

The trails Round Valley and Glenwild areas in the PC region are pretty SS friendly and I enjoy the SS when I'm riding those areas, but I grab the gears and suspension when I ride at the main Park City / Deer Valley trails due the long climbs and descents.

As always, YMMV. Enjoy your time in Park City. It's an awesome place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Lots of people do it.

The Lower trails (Glen wild, Flying dog, Round Valley, etc) are great for a single speed. Climbing is a relatively gentle grades.
    The higher elevation trails have lots of climbing with 6-10% grades sustained for long periods. If your comfortable climbing a 8% grade for 45 minutes on your SS then you will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by summitparkrider View Post
    Why not give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by charcist View Post
    What pedalfaraway said, plus:

Lots of people do it. However, I haven't run into too many tourists in Park City on singlespeeds.
    The base of Park City is at 7000 feet and goes up from there. What elevation do you ride at normally and how much climbing do you tackle in a ride? Are you prepared for a minimum 45 minute climb starting at 7000 feet in elevation? Please submit your riding resume...

Strava and Garmin Connect websites can allow you to look at rides in the area and get a feel for elevation and time. Personally, when I go to a new region to ride, I want to log as many miles as possible. The gears and suspension give me that luxury.

The trails Round Valley and Glenwild areas in the PC region are pretty SS friendly and I enjoy the SS when I'm riding those areas, but I grab the gears and suspension when I ride at the main Park City / Deer Valley trails due the long climbs and descents.

As always, YMMV. Enjoy your time in Park City. It's an awesome place.
    Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the feedback! I am going to bring the SS, as I am vacationing with my family and want a bit of a challenge while we all ride together. I will break away for at least 3 solo rides, unless any of you would like to join me.

I ride quite a bit in Phoenix and have gone up north to Sedona, Prescott, and Flagstaff to ride at elevation.

The SS is currently geared at 32x20. I will also bring a 22t cog to gear down, if necessary.

Charcist: what is your gearing on the SS?
    -boom

mtbr member
    My brother lives there (I'm moving out there in a couple days!) and all he rides off-road is a rigid SS. He's on the forums here from time to time but i forget his handle, I'll see if I can get him to chime in on this one. I do remember him saying he had it geared fairly light, because he found that uphill was the only time he was pedalling. Downhill the gearing didn't matter because it was all gravity anyway.
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

mtbr member
    I'm geared 32x20 on a 26". My wife runs 32x21 on a 29".

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sounds like you've done plenty SS'ing. Leave the 22T at home, because you won't need it. 32x20 on a 29er is great for all trails in PC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Sounds like you've done plenty SS'ing. Leave the 22T at home, because you won't need it. 32x20 on a 29er is great for all trails in PC.
    Yeah, you'll scoot right up Sweeny's with that gearing!

mtbr member
    Thanks, guys! Much appreciated on all the feedback. I will give it a go at 32x20 and if I am dying, I will go to a 21t or 22t.

Flying Dog, GlenWild, Armstrong, Mid-mountain and Round Valley, here I come!
    -boom

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Challenge.....ugh-ccepted.

mtbr member

Looks like I will be coming down Sweeny if I go the popular route... No?

Just an example in a ride I found: Bike Ride Profile | Spiro/Powerline/Shadow Lake/Keystone/Steps/John's/Sweeney near Park City | Times and Records | Strava
    -boom

@trailgrinder
    Make sure to check the basin rec center trail condition page since we just got some snow and a ton of rain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    Looks like I will be coming down Sweeny if I go the popular route... No?

Just an example in a ride I found: Bike Ride Profile | Spiro/Powerline/Shadow Lake/Keystone/Steps/John's/Sweeney near Park City | Times and Records | Strava
    Go up Sweeny's, Johns, anyone can go down them. I expect the top of johns may yet be wet. There is a nice climb in Pinebrook that is off the radar screen. If anyone wants to go on that ride let me know and I'll join you.

mtbr member
    20 years ago it would have been a challenge. Challenges are sleeping through the night and tracking down my car keys. Now I just want to show off my home town.

mtbr member

20 years ago it would have been a challenge. Challenges are sleeping through the night and tracking down my car keys. Now I just want to show off my home town.
    That is too funny!

Just arrived a couple of hours ago. What a beautiful town! Cannot wait to ride!
    -boom

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Johns is dry all the way to the top and in primo shape. One snow pile at the start of johns 99 but dry other wise. No way you could make it to keystone or shadow lake without skis.

mtbr member
    I may have to head up Sweeny's/Johns, back down to 99 and across Gravedigger and down Rossi this afternoon!

mtbr member

Are any of you guys on Strava?
    -boom

mtbr member
    Well, where did you ride today and how was the gearing?

mtbr member

We did a small family ride in the round valley area, including Matt's Flats. About 13 miles round trip from downtown. Wife and kids hung in there and had a great time. My SS gearing was not an issue for that ride.

http://app.strava.com/activities/57581766

I am planning on doing a solo ride tomorrow. Trying to put a route together that includes Armstrong, Spiro, and Mid mountain. Somewhere around 30 miles. Do you have a loop that you usually do that incorporates those trails and more?

What an awesome town! I am loving it!
    -boom

mtbr member
    There is an interactive function on this site for building routes. Mountain Trails Foundation
    I think it also has conditions for the trails listed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    This time of the year you have to be a little creative to get 30 miles. I'd probably climb Armstrong, hook a left on MM, descend Spiro, cross the PCMR parking lot, up Sweeny's and John's, on to John's 99, up Little Chief to MM, right on MM toward Park City and finally descend Jenni's back to the PCMR parking lot. I'm guessing that would be in the 25ish mile range with a little bit of every thing PC has to offer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    This time of the year you have to be a little creative to get 30 miles. I'd probably climb Armstrong, hook a left on MM, descend Spiro, cross the PCMR parking lot, up Sweeny's and John's, on to John's 99, up Little Chief to MM, right on MM toward Park City and finally descend Jenni's back to the PCMR parking lot. I'm guessing that would be in the 25ish mile range with a little bit of every thing PC has to offer.
    That would be a nice route for this time of year! I applaud your recommendation of climbing Sweeney's and John's!

mtbr member

Just climbed
    -boom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast