over researcher

single speed gearing

I'm building up one of my old frames as a single speed and need some gearing suggestions. I mostly ride Snowbasin trails since I live just down the road from there.

List the gearing you use and whether you're on a 26 or a 29. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Mtn Biker Machinist
    36/20 on the 26er and 32/22 on the 29er. I rode Wheeler Creek/Maples/Art Nord as well as Green Pond with that gearing. I also frequent the Ogden BST.

I have since wussed out and went to 1X8 on my 29er.

frog

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    36/20 on the 26er and 32/22 on the 29er. I rode Wheeler Creek/Maples/Art Nord as well as Green Pond with that gearing. I also frequent the Ogden BST.

I have since wussed out and went to 1X8 on my 29er.

frog
    That equates to 46.8 gear inches on the 26er and 42.2 gear inches on the 29er. I was already thinking a 34x19 would be a good starting point for me (which is in the 46's), but the fact that you jumped to a 8 speed on the 29er when it was already lower geared than the 26er has me wondering.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Mtn Biker Machinist
    The switch to a lower gear on the 29er, then to 1X8 was due to the fact that I was riding less, and therefore more out of shape. If I ride consistently, I can push the 32/20 without a problem, I just don't ride enough to stay in singlespeed shape!

frog