Taco

Shipping Bikes to Moab

I need some info for an upcoming trip (April) to Moab:

When my wife and I went to Moab last November - We brought our bikes with on the plane. Even though Delta advertises that bikes fly free - their restrictions are nearly impossible to follow - unless you have a folding bike or Ritchey Break-away:

"Any bicycle in a box with overall dimensions not exceeding 62" or 157.5cm (length + height + width) and checked in lieu of one bag is accepted. Bicycles exceeding 62" are subject to standard oversize baggage charges."

Needless to say, my Iron Cases did not meet these requirements, and I was hit for $100 each way for the excess bagage charge, and $50 each way for the over 50lb limit -per bike. This ended up being $600 in charges to fly with 2 bikes (which was more than our round trip tickets!!!).

This year I am shipping our bikes - $60 each way.

Does anyone know of bike shops that let people ship their bikes to? All they would need to do was sign for the bike, and stash it for us to pick up... no assembly required.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I packed a bike into a standard bike box (got it from my dealer)

that included everything: full bike, pedals, helmet, some clothes...I sent it FedEx Home Delivery (or something like that) to my sister's house in Washington State (from Colorado) and it cost me $35 including insurance. Took less than a week. Just do the same only ship it to a bike shop in Moab. Call Rim or Poison Spider or Chili Pepper or whoever. If no one wants to take delivery let us know why.

http://www.moabhappenings.com/tours.htm
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had parts shipped direct to the hotel where I was staying. They were there when I arrived. Just make sure you require a signature for the shipment.