mtbr member

Self Shuttle to Whole Enchilada

We'll be trying this in the fall. With 6 of us at 30$ each for a shuttle, 180$ seems pricey, IMO. To shuttle to the top it looks like you'd take La Sal Loop Rd to FRo071 to the parking lot near Geyser Pass Yurt. La Sal Loop Rd looks paved on Google maps, so how is FR0071? Would we be okay in a 2wd truck? Wasn't sure how rocky/sandy it might be?
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Trail Gnome
    The shuttle is a van, so if the shuttle is running, you'd probably be ok in a truck, unless things have changed since I last was there.

It's a 3 to 6 hour bike ride from the top back to town. It's mostly downhill, but it's still a full-body workout and pretty exhausting. If I remember correctly, it's about a one-hour drive from Moab to the top, so you'll be adding two hours of driving at the end of a long ride for at least two of your riders. Something to consider.

Also, Depending on how late in the fall you go, there could be snow at the top and/or the topmost trailhead may be inaccessible. The shuttle company will know this and will save you the disappointment and bring you to the start of Hazard trailhead instead.

Your Best Friend
    The shuttle is worth the price just so you don't have to go back and get a car when you're done with an exhausting day.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Or you could do what a friend of mine did last year, and do it as a loop! ;-)
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

The .05 percent
    Anyone know current snow level?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Or you could do what a friend of mine did last year, and do it as a loop! ;-)
    There is a time trial here in GA that is 32 miles and 5k feet of climbing. It is held the first weekend of Feb and March every year. You have to complete both to trophy. I did it in 2015 and 2016. After that, I couldn't imagine another 2k feet of climbing and another 4 miles. Much less having to descend back down!
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Moderator Moderator
    The LaSals are still getting snow (and will probably get more this week) so I would not count on the whole ride being ready for quite a while.

Luckily there are plenty of other trails to ride that are dry!

-Walt

mtbr member
    October

mtbr member
    FR0071 up to Geyser Pass can be handled by a 2WD with some clearance. It's graded and maintained and gets quite a bit of travel. It can get washboarded, but that's as bad as it gets. As chorused above, the back shuttle is a PIA after a long day on TWE, so plan for the minimum drivers to do the shuttle and the rest of the lucky riders to hit the hotel/bar and/or get dinner started. The round trip from town to Geyser and back to town will take 1.5-2 hours.

Also, the Forest Service is repaving La Sal Loop Road this spring/summer/fall, so keep an eye on that, as they are closing it during the weekdays (open in evening and weekends). That might be over by October, but it would suck to miss a window due to the road construction

October can be hit-or-miss to get it from the top. An early season storm can come through and lock down Burro for a few days, melt off, and then it can open it back up for days or weeks. Staying flexible on your schedule for it is a good plan of attack. Porcupine Shuttles keeps their Facebook page updated on where they are shuttling to on any particular day, or at least changes to their dropoff points.

In response to other comments/questions not by OP:
    We heard from Porcupine that Hazard dropoff won't open until Memorial Day~ish. They are currently dropping at Kokopelli, although with the weather this week, that might vary.
    Oh, and don't do it as a loop. As Chris Rock once said: "Oh, you can do it, but it doesn't mean it's a good f*cking idea". Which is what my legs were telling me about hour 4, when I still had to climb up Burro from Geyser.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    I rode it last Monday and the drop-off was still Kokopelli. I'd recommend taking the Jimmy Keen as an alternate -- Kokopelli was *soft*. Started to rain a bit Thursday night when we were leaving town so who knows how much snow they got up top.

Use Coyote Shuttles and it'll only cost you $25/head. Or better yet, skip the enchilada and do Mag 7 to Blue Dot/Gold Bar Rim and descend Portal. Best ride I've ever had in Moab!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'll shuttle your car for a $100...lemme know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    One way to make the shuttle much less painful is to camp up there. This will of coarse require vehicles capable of carrying all of you both times. Otherwise you could consider parking just below the entrance to hazard and riding up to the intersection of the La Sal portion. I will say both the Hazard and La Sal portion are pretty much blown out crap. As mentioned Mag 7 is world class awesome. If you have a choice between the 2, Mag 7 is it.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    If you have a choice between the 2, Mag 7 is it.
    We'll be there a week and plan to do both.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    We'll be there a week and plan to do both.
    Do the enchilada first -- Mag 7 is a whole level up, and a great finale to a week in Moab!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ... With 6 of us at 30$ each for a shuttle, 180$ seems pricey, IMO. ...
    I'll shuttle your vehicle for a $100...lemme know.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    I'll shuttle your vehicle for a $100...lemme know.
    That's a monster deal...do it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Anyone know current snow level?
    My buddy just posted this on FB. Title reads Hazard Brown Pow! So I'm assuming they're dropping at Hazard now..... or he rode up from the Kokopelli drop off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Self Shuttle to Whole Enchilada-hazard-brown-pow.jpg  

I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    The gate up to Warner lake was still locked last Sunday, I've heard it's staying closed until the end of May but you can certainly ride up from the Loop Rd.

mtbr member
    Rode it twice last week, once from UPS down a second time from LPS down. On Wednesday, there were traces of snow in the shadows at the top of UPS. Talked to a group of guys who rode Jimmy Keen who said it was awful. They were completely coated in slop.

The snow level dropped a lot later in the week with a lot of new snow visible on the La Sals, with a little bit of snow falling in town. We were tempted to hit one more time on Saturday, but the weather looked threatening, so we skipped it.

This place needs an enema
    We'll be trying this in the fall. With 6 of us at 30$ each for a shuttle, 180$ seems pricey, IMO. To shuttle to the top it looks like you'd take La Sal Loop Rd to FRo071 to the parking lot near Geyser Pass Yurt. La Sal Loop Rd looks paved on Google maps, so how is FR0071? Would we be okay in a 2wd truck? Wasn't sure how rocky/sandy it might be?

FYI, in the bike world, self shuttle means ride to the top, then ride down. A thing which few seem to do anymore...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    FYI, in the bike world, self shuttle means ride to the top, then ride down. A thing which few seem to do anymore...
    Well thank goodness everyone understands what I meant anyways. 😎