Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,148

    Self-Shuttle Mag7 w/ Me?

    I'll be heading out to Moab on Thursday evening for a four day weekend until Monday evening. Planning to camp up Willow Springs. I live over in the Cortez area, so I'll be bringing CO beer.

    I've been to Moab a bunch, but haven't done the Mag7 system yet. I was wondering if anyone wanted to self shuttle this with me? My schedule's pretty flexible. I'd be interested in doing a bigger day and end at the bottom of Portal, also.

    In terms of my abilities, I can clean Rockstacker and everything but the last two switchbacks on Jackson, though I'm going to be a little conservative (at least on Portal) as I'm 6 weeks out from a bad crash and concussion. I don't mind stopping for photos and playing on stuff. I'm a solid navigator too, when I'm not concussed

  2. #2
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I'll be heading out to Moab on Thursday evening for a four day weekend until Monday evening. Planning to camp up Willow Springs. I live over in the Cortez area, so I'll be bringing CO beer.

    I've been to Moab a bunch, but haven't done the Mag7 system yet. I was wondering if anyone wanted to self shuttle this with me? My schedule's pretty flexible. I'd be interested in doing a bigger day and end at the bottom of Portal, also.

    In terms of my abilities, I can clean Rockstacker and everything but the last two switchbacks on Jackson, though I'm going to be a little conservative (at least on Portal) as I'm 6 weeks out from a bad crash and concussion. I don't mind stopping for photos and playing on stuff. I'm a solid navigator too, when I'm not concussed
    Not entirely related to your search, but Mag 7 is an easy loop if you just drive up past the Goony Bird on Gemini Bridges Rd and park in that fenced area at the bottom of the steep, chip-sealed grade. Takes about 2.5 hours to knock out a lap at a mellow pace using the road to get to the top. You could also ride up the trail for an out-n-back. So a shuttle isn't strictly necessary unless, you know, you really want to.

    I am also talking about the first few sections and bailing at Gold Bar Rim Jeep Trail intersection after Little Canyon, out the wash back to the car - what most folks are talking about when they talk Mag 7. Obviously any ride to Portal is going to make the loop bigger, I would probably park at Portal and ride back up the highway to begin the ride. I've gone up Long Canyon and it's a schlep. Actually, forget about that ride, it sucks. Just shuttle that one.

    JMH

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    893
    halfmanhalfscab,
    Let me check with my wife. We might be able to meet up for a shuttle on Sunday if that works for you.

    I would not want her near the Portal trail, so we'd likely take Poison Spider down. We could go our separate ways and meet up at the car if you wanted to ride Portal.

  4. #4
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,421
    I noted that the Gemeni Bridges road was extremely sandy when I was down there 1.5 weeks ago. Duno if they've had much rain since.

  5. #5
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,418
    A group of us have tentative plans for a Sunday Mag7. A few are out-of-towners and by all accounts upper intermediate riders I believe. It's more than likely they will be bowing out at Gemini. I'm generally pretty easy to persuade to ride over to Portal. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

    And like JMH said, a loop is totally worth it. Or drive in gemini then ride up LC>arths/Great escape> bull run and then turn around.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    893
    hmhs,
    I walked my wife through the proposed ride and she wants to warm up with something shorter/easier. We're going to turn off mag 7 at Gold Bar, to Gemini Bridges road, then back to town on the bike path. I think we'll just arrange a shuttle with Coyote or other service.

    Hope you're able to meet up with Jwind. Have a greet weekend.

  7. #7
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    hmhs,
    I walked my wife through the proposed ride and she wants to warm up with something shorter/easier. We're going to turn off mag 7 at Gold Bar, to Gemini Bridges road, then back to town on the bike path. I think we'll just arrange a shuttle with Coyote or other service.

    Hope you're able to meet up with Jwind. Have a greet weekend.
    That's a very good call for a great "welcome to Moab" ride. If you are feeling sparky when you get down to the bike path, it's easy to add 3 miles of fun singletrack over at the Brand Trails while still heading back to town (Lazy or Easy to Deadman's)

    JMH

  8. #8
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,418
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    hmhs,
    I walked my wife through the proposed ride and she wants to warm up with something shorter/easier. We're going to turn off mag 7 at Gold Bar, to Gemini Bridges road, then back to town on the bike path. I think we'll just arrange a shuttle with Coyote or other service.

    Hope you're able to meet up with Jwind. Have a greet weekend.
    That's what we are doing Saturday. We may add some brand trails into the mix if our guests are still feeling frisky. Not sure if we'll be self shuttling or what yet, but I think we'll be getting a later start since out guests are getting in late and we need to pick up bikes in the AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    That's a very good call for a great "welcome to Moab" ride. If you are feeling sparky when you get down to the bike path, it's easy to add 3 miles of fun singletrack over at the Brand Trails while still heading back to town (Lazy or Easy to Deadman's)

    JMH
    Thanks for the tip JMH, that's a great idea.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    285
    FYI..the beer you buy in Colorado grocery stores is 3.2 which is the exact same beer you'll find in Utah grocery stores and mini marts (unlike Utah,most if not all Colorado mini marts/gas stations aren't allowed to sell beer). Utah state liquor stores have awesome high octane beer selections. So both states have similar similar restrictive laws. Only difference is that everyonen(not saying you) whines like a baby about how utah is so restrictive. Additionally, it can be easier to operate a winery in Utah then it is in california..Learn something everyday
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

  11. #11
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,418
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemtnbiking View Post
    FYI..the beer you buy in Colorado grocery stores is 3.2 which is the exact same beer you'll find in Utah grocery stores and mini marts (unlike Utah,most if not all Colorado mini marts/gas stations aren't allowed to sell beer). Utah state liquor stores have awesome high octane beer selections. So both states have similar similar restrictive laws. Only difference is that everyone(not saying you) whines like a baby about how utah is so restrictive.

    Well, not really.
    -Tap beer is 3.2 in utah. In CO it is not...
    -You can not buy cold REAL beer in UT. You can in CO...
    -In UT, we have the little measure thing when pouring drinks. In CO, they do not...
    -Alcohol beverage service in a licensed restaurant requires that you order food with your drink, Not in CO.
    -Your beverage be delivered to your table or counter by your server, and that you consume your drink at or near the table or counter.

    This list goes on... That and the selection at the state liquor store in Moab is terrible and very expensive, there is nothing bigger then a 6 pack and you buy by-the-beer wether you buy one or 100.

    People don't come to this state for the drinking.

  12. #12
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Well, not really.
    -Tap beer is 3.2 in utah. In CO it is not...
    -You can not buy cold REAL beer in UT. You can in CO...
    -In UT, we have the little measure thing when pouring drinks. In CO, they do not...
    -Alcohol beverage service in a licensed restaurant requires that you order food with your drink, Not in CO.
    -Your beverage be delivered to your table or counter by your server, and that you consume your drink at or near the table or counter.

    This list goes on... That and the selection at the state liquor store in Moab is terrible and very expensive, there is nothing bigger then a 6 pack and you buy by-the-beer wether you buy one or 100.
    And in a lot of other states there are Dry Counties... Doesn't Pennsylvania have Wine, Beer AND Liquor stores? Pretty sure some areas you still can't buy beer on a Sunday. Utah has it pretty good since The Man seems content to pass trifling, bizarre PITA laws instead of actually restrictive ones.

    My point is that yes, Utah has countless strange laws and inconveniences, but not ONE that has kept me from enjoying great beer at whatever temperature I prefer after I ride some of the best trails on the planet. The only people who really can't get around it are the folks that have never heard of coolers or want to roll up to a sandwich shop and order a Jack and Coke with their lunch paninis.(which I am sure you can do somewhere down there)

    But I agree that the options in your liquor store are limited for the true beer-lover. You need to start having people bring you beer for all the good info you provide on MTBR.

    JMH

  13. #13
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,418
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    My point is that yes, Utah has countless strange laws and inconveniences, but not ONE that has kept me from enjoying great beer at whatever temperature I prefer after I ride some of the best trails on the planet.
    That and if you are *****ing about booze laws, my guess is you didn't ride enough :P

    I totally agree, except, I've both purchased and drank 3.2 beer a little more then I'd like to admit.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,148
    Hey, I'm a dumbass for not reading the group ride day right on your PM, Jwind. But thanks for the good intentions. Maybe I'll seeya out on the trails some day.

    I had a good time at Mag-7. Parked at the top of Bull Run, next Great Escape, and then an out and back on Gold Bar, I think it's called. Then took Arth's back to Bull Run and back to the truck.

    For some reason the junipers kept jumping out at me. I slugged one pretty good and almost went down. I never learn, those junipers are more dense than they appear.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,148
    Oh, and I heard my camping neighbors call the 3.2 Mormon gatorade, which I thought was hilarious.

  16. #16
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,418
    Maybe next time, our group ended up being big and slow. I've officially decided that I like Great escape better than then Arths. sBoth are great fun tho.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemtnbiking View Post
    FYI..the beer you buy in Colorado grocery stores is 3.2 which is the exact same beer you'll find in Utah grocery stores and mini marts (unlike Utah,most if not all Colorado mini marts/gas stations aren't allowed to sell beer). Utah state liquor stores have awesome high octane beer selections. So both states have similar similar restrictive laws. Only difference is that everyonen(not saying you) whines like a baby about how utah is so restrictive. Additionally, it can be easier to operate a winery in Utah then it is in california..Learn something everyday
    It is way more expensive in the DABC stores in Utah than it is in Colorado. Trust me I know I have lived in both places. And don't forget the biggest strange law....you can't buy kegs in Utah.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •