mtbr member

Sedona or Moab Mtn Bike trip

I am planning a Mtn Bike trip to either Sedona or Moab for the 4th of July weekend. I am looking for recommendations as to why I should pick one over the other, I am cross posting to Arizona board also, hope that is ok. I will be driving to either location from San Diego.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Moab will probably be hotter than hell then. Bring lots of water.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sedona's *average* temperature is July is 84 but most of Sedona's riding is all out in the open with very little tree cover. Consequently, you'll be exposed to the direct heat of the sun for hours at a time so even 84 is higher than I would prefer to deal with. Sedona is only about 8 hours while Moab is closer to 13-14. You also have all of the riding near Prescott and Flagstaff to check out if you go to Sedona.

That being said, if you were willing to drive 13-14 hours to Moab, look into going to Park City or up to Oregon. I've been to all of them and will return to all of them but my favorite by far is Oregon. FWIW, I'm in North County of SD as well.

Perpetual n00b
    I'd be looking at higher elevation destinations if I were you. Flagstaff is up the hill from Sedona and there's a lot to ride up there. Moab is fine too if you just do the Whole Enchilada but everything else will be scalding hot as Pious mentioned. Summer in Utah is time for mountain riding, not desert riding. Park City during the week is good. Dixie National Forest stuff has my personal preference.

Do you acclimate to high elevation pretty easily?
    Threads left alone die on their own.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I agree with the others: Neither in July. Sedona may be OK if you get in early rides in the mornings then run up to Flagstaff for the afternoon rides. There's alpine riding in the La Sals above Moab too as others have pointed out. But if you're going to end up riding alpine stuff anyway I'd go to Breckinridge or Crested Butte or Park City.

I'd focus on Tahoe/Downieville or Oregon.
    Last edited by KRob; 03-02-2015 at 02:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Consensus seems to be July is the wrong time of year to visit either destination. Will try for another time of year or destination.
    Thanks

K2 I Amin Esco. Where do you ride in NC?

Your Best Friend
    Look into Sun Valley Idaho for mid summer rides. Great little town as well.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    you can always do a 5 or 6am Moab ride, then drive to Park City for the afternoon. Great day!

Trail Rat

Or Try this......

Yes, it is normally at 100 or so every day in July in Moab, but the nice thing is that as the temps climb, you do too. There are numerous rides in the mountains and the temps up there are usually in the mid to high 70's. All you do is trade riding on slick rock for cutting through aspen forests. The popular trails are in the local guidebooks but there are new ones the bike shops can point you towards. I'm pretty sure sure Sedonna doesn't have anything around 13000 feet in elevation........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    I am planning a Mtn Bike trip to either Sedona or Moab for the 4th of July weekend. I am looking for recommendations as to why I should pick one over the other, I am cross posting to Arizona board also, hope that is ok. I will be driving to either location from San Diego.
    Durango.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Tahoe/Downieville

K&K
    fwiw I find it curious how people will tolerate the most ridiculous hazards and discomforts in this sport but beg off when it comes to riding in hot weather. We ride in the Sonoran desert year-round in temperatures over 110 degrees. I find the desolation refreshing and we have the trails to ourselves. Then there is night riding, which is a whole 'nuther thing, but equally inspiring.

Sedona is a driving nightmare during "nice" weather, much less so when things warm up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    fwiw I find it curious how people will tolerate the most ridiculous hazards and discomforts in this sport but beg off when it comes to riding in hot weather. We ride in the Sonoran desert year-round in temperatures over 110 degrees. I find the desolation refreshing and we have the trails to ourselves. Then there is night riding, which is a whole 'nuther thing, but equally inspiring.

Sedona is a driving nightmare during "nice" weather, much less so when things warm up.
    Heat stroke and heat exhaustion. You cant bring enough water. Shade is also kind of hard to find too. The rocks in Moab absorb, radiate and reflect heat all day bumping up the temp.

As for night riding, I love it, but not on really technical trails I don't know like the back of my hand (which is a lot of the tails in Moab). You wouldn't want your first go at a trail to be at night. Well, I wouldn't.

Early morning rides would be OK. I do them in Hurricane and St. George all of the time during the hellish summer. But that's only for a few hours of a long day. When I vacation to ride, I want to ride all day.

I think the point is there are better places to ride in the summer. Some of which have been mentioned already in this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

I often think these same thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post

I finally joined up at MTBR. I myself go to Moab ONLY during what 'others' refer to as the 'hottest months'. I do this on purpose because there are far fewer people riding the trails. I've done the Porcupine Rim ride right from town [screw shuttles] during the heat of July / August and I've never understood why or how people can honestly 'complain' about riding in hot weather when mountain biking itself is far more grueling than anything to do with temperature. If you dress right, and drink what you should, the body has no problem dealing with it. I myself never even think about how 'hot' it is once I'm on the trail....?

I also agree : Sedona is a nightmare of congestion and everything there seems like it's more expensive that it should be. I've found Santa Fe / Taos very nice because of all the riding you can do under treecover, which I do for the 'beauty'--not--because trying to escape the sun.

I'd say, whoever is planning a trip of ANY kind, pick a place that offers you BOTH purely exposed desert rides, AND tree-cover rides. It is very nice to do both types of riding for beauty's sake. Forget about 'heat'. If you're rugged enough to be a Mountain Biker, then hot weather won't phase you once you're out on the trail. Just bring what is needed : carbo-bars, electrolite mix, and as much water as you can comfortably carry. When I ride the desert,IF--its blazing heat hot out, I sometimes ride with a long sleeve silk or lite weight shirt. It actually keeps you cooler than short sleeves as strange as it may seem. I've found that the hottest rides leave me feeling the most 'invigorated' for days...as if I burned out all impurities or something....