mtbr member

Sandy this weekend

Hey DOods, I'm gonna be in Sandy for a week starting this weekend and I've never ridden in that area so i'm looking for some suggestions and maybe even someone to show me the trails. What do you recommend for an experienced rider (20+ years of riding) and I enjoy riding about 10 to 20 miles at a time. I'm coming from Mesa AZ and I know its burning up here but I'm hoping the weather is a bit cooler up there, at least in the morning. What is the best time to ride? I have lights for night riding but I'd love to be able to see whats going on around me and enjoy the scenery if possible. I can't venture off too far either (an hour tops driving to the trail) bc the wife and kids will be missing the car while I'm riding... What do you guys think I should ride? I wanna try several nice and tasty trails while I'm visiting Sandy, if they're available. Thanks!
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Have the wife drop you off at Guardsmans Pass at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Ride the Crest. Have the wife pick you up at bottom of Millcreek Canyon.

22ish miles. Should take somewhere around 2 to 2.5 hours.

Strava Segment | Wasatch Crest Shuttle Over-Mountain Giddy Up - Guardsman to bottom of PipeLine

Wasatch Crest Trail

Edit: You'll have to do this on an even number day. Bikes are a no no in Millcreek Canyon on odd number days (its for the dogs).

mtbr member
    Yep, it will be nice and cool up there, and the Wasatch Crest trail is incredible. We went hiking up near Alta on Saturday when it was 105* in the valley. It was a refreshing 80* with a gentle breeze.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    If the Crest is too much time commitment, get on the Corner Canyon trails EARLY. As mentioned, it'll be bloody hot. You can easily put 10-20 miles on there.

mtbr member
    I'll be in salt lake (west Jordan) this weekend and will be looking to ride.
    I thought I'd drive over to park city but the guardsman/ crest/ mill creek option sounds just right.

My best chance for rides will be Friday or Saturday morning early. Let me know if you (or anyone else) want to hook up.

mtbr member
    As said, temps on the Crest have been nice. Combo with a drop over to the Park City side and burn half a day. Let your wife keep the car all day and use these guys Home - clean air mountain bike shuttle We will be on one of the shuttles Sat. Trail gets busy on the weekends but its a friendly crowd.

If you are staying in Sandy and can get a ride to Guardsman Pass try dropping down Mill D instead of all the way to Millcreek then you can just ride back down Big Cottonwood back to Sandy (or just ride to Hogs Wollow or Cottonbottom at the base and get picked up there).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charcist View Post
    If the Crest is too much time commitment, get on the Corner Canyon trails EARLY. As mentioned, it'll be bloody hot. You can easily put 10-20 miles on there.
    Did corner canyon this AM. Cooler temps after the rain last night and the trails were nice tacky. Fun stuff. Thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if the rain will be a problem if I wanna ride tomorrow? It doesn't rain where I'm from and the last place I rode where it did rain, you couldn't ride for days after a rain storm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You will be just fine, the trails were so dry that this rain is going to make them perfect.

mtbr member
    Anyone wanna ride tomorrow morning? I got in late last night and took it easy all day today... Now I'm itching for a good ride tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day and the nxt day. I'm off of State and the 215 in sandy and I can shuttle another bike if you have a qr fork. If not I'm headed out solo maņana.

Pm me for my number so we can get sumptin organized.

mtbr member
    Nord1899... Whoa! Thanks for the recommendation of the Wasatch Crest trail, it was fantastic today. Not busy, super perfect trail conditions, something for every type of rider. I cannot find one thing to complain about, it was absolutely amazing. Cheers man!

On the road ride back to meet back with my wife I topped out at 48 mph. First time for me at that kind of speed on a mnt bike. So rad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Glad you enjoyed it. And the most important question, did you clean Puke Hill? Figure the Spine should have been no trouble.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the spine wasn't a too tricky but there was no way I was clearing Puke. I walked it. I think the altitude was a major factor. And the fact that I'm fat and weak didn't help either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    homey - check out Dry Gulch/City Creek as well (prob start at Hogle Zoo). Although if it were me, I'd probably do Crest again. Corner Canyon is super fun as well. Another short trail is Temple Quarry at the mouth of Little Cottonwood. 6 miles out and back, but gives you a good workout.

Also, if you're able, check out some Park City trails. Well-worth the trip. Since you're right by the freeway, it would take maybe 20-30 minutes to get out there. Flying Dog is just off of the Kimball Junction exit and pretty fun. Mormon Trail up Parley's Canyon isn't bad, either.

mtbr member
    Phsycle, I'm doing Corner Canyon tonight and I'm not sure if my family and I are leaving tomorrow or not. Yesterday I rode Mueller Park. It was fun coming back down but the climb, combined with the heavy foot traffic, made it kinda just okay. Hopefully I can convince my better half to stay another day or two. This place is awesome! I just wanna ride everything that's available but, even if we stay another day or two, it looks like I'm gonna have to just come back and take another trip back to ride more and more. Thanks for helping me get to the rad trails here. I'm jealous of what you guys get to ride.

Now here's some advice for you guys... get off your computers and go ride!!!