Thread: Salt Lake City

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Salt Lake City

Ok it looks like I will be visiting the SLC greater area mid Sept and can get a day off sometime mid week. Never been in Utah before.

So what to do? Ideal would be a recommendation to a bike shop that would rent a mountain bike and have some trails to ride right from the shop as I will have a rental car and maybe some difficulty hauling a bike... I don't need any super advanced trail as the last think I want to do is wack myself not knowing way around .. unique views and things to see would be the best

Any ideas? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Park City You can ride from the bike shops. jans Sports and White Pine Touring. Not sure about riding in SLC area right from bike shop. But PC only a 30 minute drive from SLC.

mtbr member
    If you read the last 4 or 5 threads, it will address some of your questions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rent from Jans or Colesport in PC. Head up to DV via free bus system (or pedal if you want to ride on pavement). Ride mid mountain over to Canyons. Head back to bike shop.

Strava Segment | Silver Lake Lodge to Red Pine Lodge for the route and distance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Keep in mind, the buses stop running to Silver Lake Lodge and Empire Lodge on Labor Day.

You could also rent from White Pine, hit Lost Prospector, then the Rail Trail to Round Valley. With that said, RV is a wonderful traill system with lots of options, but it is a sage brush/scrub oak vegitated area. While it is lots of fun, it may not be what you want to come to PC for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Options

Yes I agree a forum search is in order. There are many what to ride and where to rent when I am visitng threads. Park city is a great option, but there are many shops in slc with ride out access. The cheapest place I have found to rent a relitivly high end bike is
    Welcome to the BTC! Your source for commuter bike rentals and storage in Salt Lake City. That facility is located right in the heart of downtown salt lake city and you can be riding single track on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail with like a 10 min spin up memory grove.

Here are some examples
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | BST Zoo to city creek near Salt Lake City | Times and Records | Strava

Strava Segment | Columbus Loop
    That ones a pretty easy hour ride minutes from downtown. If you ride it clockwise like i did when I made the file the climb is on a dirt road thats a moderate grade. You can ride it in reverse and climb the trail from memory grove, and then desend the same way you came up if you want a more challenging climb.

Lots of shops close to riding in slc here is a short and incomplete list and I don't know it they do rentals

1. Revolution. The shop is not located close to any trails or all that close to SLC Proper, but its the best shop in SLC. And they do rentals. If you get a car that can haul a bike and want to drive either to an SLC canyon or PC its worth the time to go there.

Guthries downtown (Special)
    SLC bike (Trek)
    Wild rose
    Seriously you should just google this.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks for your suggestions everyone, mtbdroid

mtbr member
    Droid...what weeks are you going to be there. I may be doing the same thing myself
    Ride first, drinks after!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

moab

... had a great time, managed to stretch my schedule a little and could spend one night in moab so I rented a bike at poison spider ( yeti 575 ) and had about 4 hours on the trail time, certainly a different ride than back east coast single track ... gotta figure out how to go back for a couple of days some year in the future , droid