• 08-09-2012
    jstaples
    Rode over a rattlesnake on Jem last night.
    I was riding Jem last night for a quick afterwork ride and came up on a rattlesnake coiled right in the trail. It was coiled right at the base of a steep little downhill and there was nothing to do but ride over it. Obviously riding in St. George/Hurricane I have run over snakes before, but this was my first rattlesnake. Scared the crap out of me.

Have any of you actually had a bite from one of these creepers while riding?
  • 08-09-2012
    MSU Alum
    I've had snake bites, but never a Snake Bite!
  • 08-09-2012
    nmfly
    Earlier this year one bit my front tire, however, it didn't succeed in causing a snake bite. Then in the last 6 weeks two of my four dogs have been bitten.

I've riden with dogs for 20 yrs without a problem. It is the year of the snake in the 4-Corners.
  • 08-11-2012
    Jwind
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nmfly View Post
    Earlier this year one bit my front tire, however, it didn't succeed in causing a snake bite. Then in the last 6 weeks two of my four dogs have been bitten.

I've riden with dogs for 20 yrs without a problem. It is the year of the snake in the 4-Corners.

Yikes. Are they ok?
  • 08-12-2012
    nmfly
    Both of them are fine. Thanks to a good vet, antibiotics, IV fluids and pain meds. The recommendation was not to use antivenom. Significant swelling and pain for 2 days.

Both were struck on the face, the first was a mixed breed 60+ lb, the second was a 9 lb small mixed breed. Best estimate is that neither had significant venom injected. Typically, older snakes don't "waste" venom protecting themselves (it doesn't act fast enough for protection).

They are now all sad when they don't get to go on a ride, once colder weather sets in they can come along.
  • 08-22-2012
    yapajake
    Never been bitten and am more terrified of them than anything else. they have caused me to crash several times though as i steer off trail into the trees
  • 08-24-2012
    STT GUY
    No big deal. When I find one I relocate them off trail to a safer place. Its been a banner year for them.
  • 08-29-2012
    KO21
    I had a rattler snap at me on Barrel Roll as a I rode by. I rode off the trail and gave my ugly scream for a minute or two. I came up on him so fast he never rattled. I couldn't go for a ride this spring without seeing a snake of some sort, even on road rides.
  • 08-31-2012
    crashtestdummy
    1 Attachment(s)
    I had one of these monsters attack my dog at Navajo Lake. Luckily she wasn't hurt.
  • 08-31-2012
    BumpityBump
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    I had one of these monsters attack my dog at Navajo Lake. Luckily she wasn't hurt.

Awesome photo!
  • 08-31-2012
    steveinslc
    That is a very tolerant dog!
  • 09-01-2012
    Mr. D
    terrific that the dogs are fine. I saw 2 rattlers on a ride last summer at Bootleg Canyon this year I have been lucky only seeing lots of lizards.
  • 09-02-2012
    SlowerThenSnot
    Saw a huge rattler up on Gaucamole about a week ago, rattle was at least 6-8" long
  • 09-02-2012
    Jwind
    Been in Moab for over a year and haven't seen on yet. Thought for sure I'd see one by now. Only snake I've seen was a gopher snake on Pipe Dream. I do worry about our dog.
  • 09-02-2012
    Live2rideUtah
    Snakes scare the bejesus out of me, they are all over this year and I am glad to hear that you didn't get bitten, I have only seen garden snakes his year.
  • 09-05-2012
    slk55amg
    2 Attachment(s)
    I rode right over this one at Gooseberry Mesa on Sunday. My pedal went down right over its head. Luckily it didn't strike.