mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Road bike or Mountain bike, new to Utah

During summer I will be moving to Utah, not sure yet but more than likely either Price, Logan, or Cedar. During the winter it will be snowboarding, but I need a sport to do during spring and summer because if not I'll go mad. My question though, should i buy a road bike or mountain bike. Im not into downhill so mostly xc. Which of the two would be the one I could do more? More races/charities that do road bike or mountain bike. Are there more than enough trails to do xc mountain biking? Ive also only got about 1000 to spend on the bike

mtbr member
    You will have fun with either. I prefer MTB and theres plenty of XC riding around to take advantage of the MTB.

Paste eater
    I think most will say MTB here That being siad, UT has some of the best Mountain biking around and lots of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I grew up in the Price area, and rode MTBs back in the early 90s. There are a lot of dirt roads in the area, which can be ridden almost year-round. They're not really technical, but good for a workout or a scenic cruise. Some locals are rebuilding a single-track network in the plateaus north of the town, and there are some ATV trails that are more challenging.

Price is also about 2 hours from Moab, and not much farther from Fruita / Grand Junction. In the summer, you can get to the higher-elevation trails in the southern Wasatch and Wasatch Plateau areas in about an hour. If I had to move back to Price, I don't think I would want to live there without a mountain bike. There are some rural backroads that would be nice on a road bike, but I'd feel nervous riding on the highways and canyon roads leading up to active coal mines.

Having said all that about Price, Cedar City is an hour away from the St George trails, which are epic, and can be ridden all year, though most are unbearably hot in the summer. Logan has good riding in the canyons, and a lot more vertical relief than either Cedar City or Price, but winters there are maybe the worst anywhere in Utah.

I'd recommend going to The Skid Map to browse the MTB trails in those areas.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is there anyway that maybe I could just switch out the tires and turn the xc bike into a road bike? Or just use it on the road?

Owner Epic Biking
    Yeah, just get a good hardtail 29er. You should have no problem finding a good slick tire for road use. But there are so many great places to mountain bike here you may never get around to putting the slicks on. :-)
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by authalic View Post

Having said all that about Price, Cedar City is an hour away from the St George trails, which are epic, and can be ridden all year, though most are unbearably hot in the summer. Logan has good riding in the canyons, and a lot more vertical relief than either Cedar City or Price, but winters there are maybe the worst anywhere in Utah.
    Having lived and ridden in both Logan and Cedar, I would say Cedar has much more vertical relief than Logan. It also has a greater variety of trails than Logan.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Lot's of great road biking here, but there's roads everywhere in the world. Utah has some of the best xc mountain biking in the world that people travel from around the world to get to ride. Mountain bike is a no brainer to me. For that price range you can get a solid used 29'er hardtail as mentioned already and have a blast.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Mountain bike! You can always ride the road on the MTB if you itch for asphalt but dirt is soooo much more fun than road riding and for the most part, you don't have to worry about getting splatted by an inattentive driver on the singletrack?
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I do both, but if I had to choose it would have to be Mtn biking. But I live in SLC and am spoiled for choice with trails in Park City. Like others have suggested, getting a hardtail 29er is a good bet though if you want slap some slicks on and ride pavement

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tony477g View Post
    either Price, Logan, or Cedar.
    Now there's a range if I've seen one. If you're coming for the snowboarding, stay northern Utah. Logan is great summer recreation, but their ski resorts are not the same as SLC/Park City...