mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Riding near Snowbird?

Hey guys-
    My wife and I might head over here in mid-July...staying at Snowbird at a time share. Wondering if the riding is good? We are cross country riders from Boise....intermediate level. Would you make the trip to go riding around snowbird? We've been to Moab and are going to Bend this weekend, have a couple weeks off in July and figured a timeshare would be decent.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    If your goal is to do a riding vacation, go to Park City. There is *some* riding in Little Cottonwood and Snowbird has a small network of lift-served (or ride up the service road) trails but it's by no means a riding destination - you'll want to drive elsewhere to ride, if you want to spend 2 weeks. That said, it is beautiful up in the canyon and if your goal is to look at mountain views and relax, it'll be great for that.

For a riding specific trip I'd go to Park City/Deer Valley/Canyons and find a condo in that area. You will have enough trails to not get bored in 2 weeks no problem.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    ...or enjoy your time share - use Snowbird as your base. Alta's Albion Basin has a fun little network, and as with most things Mountain West you can expect an hour drive to get to epic locations all around the Salt Lake and Park City area for great riding. Big Cottonwood has Solitude/Brighton, several other trails that are great rides (XC style) and you can even just head over the top with Guardsman's Pass into the PC/DV area. Parking anywhere and just get on the bike to enjoy.

Basing in Snowbird will also keep you (somewhat) central to looking at d'town SLC, trails behind the U, (bobsled, etc), Bonneville Shoreline, and down to Corner Canyon in Draper, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Snowbird is bout the least central location I can think of in terms of MTB rides in the area. In July Park city is where you are going to want to be for riding. The lower SLC trails (bobsled U of U area, and corner Canyon have great spring and fall biking but will be very hot in july. I agree with Walt that snowbird is nice but is not a bike destination. If biking is your primary focus see if you can switch to a condo in Big Cottonwood (Where you will have access to the crest trail/Mill / Solitude etc.), SLC (Central to everything 45 min to Park City, 45 min to Crest etc) or to park city (Bike from your Room)
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Snowbird just added some new trails last year so they have more than they did. You will have a great time and like another poster said you are within an hour of epic rides all around you.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Seriously? Intermediate riders will run out of stuff to ride in S-bird in one day. There is basically no nightlife or bars/restaurants... you'll end up spending all your time driving around to go ride, driving out to eat, then having to drive back to S-bird to sleep. Sounds lame. In PC you can ride, eat lunch, ride, have some brews and food at any number of places, ride back to your place, sleep, repeat on a new trail every day, without setting foot in a car the whole time. Spend that time in the hot tub instead, yo!

If it's Snowbird or *nothing*, then go to Snowbird, by all means. If the OP isn't locked into that, I wouldn't go there for a riding-focused vacation.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Walt

Sure there are better locations but it sounded like he has a time share up at Snowbird. If he is staying up there he will still have a great time and won't regret staying there at all.

If he uses SnowBird as his base and it not worried about driving 30-40 minutes to ride he has LOTS of options for great biking. Heck he could ride Little Cottonwood all the way down to the Quarry Trail if he has good skills and wants a nice techincal trail. Then he could ride some road and catch BST and ride Corner Canyon all day. Big cottonwood would be a 40 minute drive and again he could ride all day from there to Millcreek - PC - and more.

If he wants to scrap the time share or can move it to Park City that would be ideal. I am just saying if he stays at the Bird he can still have a great trip.