Thread: Riding near BYU

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Riding near BYU

So I'm actually from California, but a good friend of mine goes to BYU. I have heard there is great mountain biking very near there. I was hoping once the spring comes and snow melts to take a drive and do some riding while he is in class.

Its going to be a while till this actually happens, I was just wondering if there was anything I should kinda be on the lookout for? I ride a Rocky Mountain Slayer 6x6 with average skill and no fear.

mtbr member
    Define "near". If you want to ride from campus then there's a couple of options. The Bonneville Shoreline trail is pretty close and scenic and more likely to be rideable in April or May but not really Slayer-worthy. You can hike-a-bike/ride up to Squaw Peak then bomb back down....
    There's probably a bunch of trails near campus that hopefully someone a bit more local will chime in on... but I'm not aware of them.

For my money, I'd get in the car and drive 30-40 minutes to Park City. Tons of great rides there. Probably 100 miles of amazing singletrack packed into that bowl. You can access the Wasatch Crest trail (Amazing!!) and Park City via the Mid Mountain Trail from the Salt Lake City side of the mountains too though I'm not sure the trailhead would be any closer timewise than Park City.

If you're not into climbing, Deer Valley Resort (In Park City) has lift service but we're talking mid-June for the higher stuff to be clear of snow. Park City Resort I think runs the lifts in the summer too. Not sure about the Canyons Resort.

There's also some good stuff up American Fork Canyon which is maybe 20 minutes away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    April sounds like a time I would want to do it... I'd be fine driving an hour or so from BYU if its killer riding... Climbing doesn't bother me, although I enjoy Shuttles as well... Around here i have to climb 99% of my rides...

Looks like there is definately plenty of choices for me... I'll be back on the board here in the end of march probably looking for a guide...

Thanks for the quick response

mtbr member
    April will be too early for much of the good stuff up high... but there's usually somewhere to ride nearby that time of year.

Oh, also be sure and check out www.utahmountainbiking.com for more trail suggestions. Look under the Utah Valley Trails section.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    April is going to be muddy! Most of the resorts will be open for skiing until mid-April. Sundance resort is 15 minutes from BYU and would be great in mid may. Squaw Peak may be rideable but they close the road up so you might have to ride up.Provo Canyon has good trails on both sides of th canyon, but the only the north side will likely be rideable. Payson canyon has great riding too, but will also likely be unrideable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    squaw should be open mid april...but i'm not going to say definitely because there's till alot of snow around. campus is kinda sucky to ride, i guess i'm just really bored of it. i doubt many of the resorts will be ridable. come over to our shop(urban downfall cycles) and we can tell update you when you come out. If your friend is a freerider he should know where our shop is...if not we're behind best buy next to curves. address is 327 E. 1200 S. Suite 5

desert dweller
    Back in the day I would ride from campus to Provo Canyon, then up Squaw Peak and back down through Rock Canyon or down the front from the overlook. April is pretty early to be riding up any higher than that (sometimes even too early for Squaw Peak). I also used to ride the powerline trails east of campus below the Y (I guess that is now the Bonnieville Shoreline Trail). The singletrack is limited -- so don't shuttle, earn your downhills.

I also used to do day trips (or overnighters) to Moab twice a year -- April is pretty nice then with temp on the rock 10 degrees above what the temp in town is. Gooseberry is only a few hours away as well.

mbb