Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Rental House and guide Moab?

Hi guys i posted this in trip planner as well but not sure if anybody is checking that thread. i have a group of guys coming over in late september early october and we are looking for a nice rental house for 10-12 days. could anybody advise a nice area to get the house close to some trails. also do you know of anyone doing catered accommodation?

Also could anyone recommend a good guide. don't want to do tours just get a guide for a few days and show us some different trails.

i have searched this area of the forum but didn't find much info.

thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yeah i have been looking through a few of those sites. was looking for information more on location or anybody thats had good experiences with house rentals. Also another quick question, we have 14 days in utah and where thinking of splitting it in half. Moab and surrounds for the first half then maybe cross into Fruita. or if anybody has any other recommendations where you think our time would be better spent.

And back to one of my original questions does anybody know anyone doing catered accommodation?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    When you say catered accommodation, do you mean someone that is your personal chef and takes care of all the food? If so I do not know of any business like that here in Moab. However, I know some people (professional chefs) that would fit the bill. Also, I know of several that you could hire to be your guide that could show you the good stuff. Let me know if you want me to pass the information on to you.

Also, do not waste your time in Fruita during the fall/summer. Too hot and the terrain is limited. You would be better off in other high altitude places in Utah a million times more epic than Fruita. For example, Thunder Mountain, Brian Head trails.

Also, you should indicate your groups level of riding.

Paste eater
    Depends what you are looking for I suppose. I'd recommend the townhouse/stucco condo places on Williams way across form the hospital. Seems like everyone I know that comes here rents there. They are clean, new and close to everything.

If you are really looking for service, I suppose you could stay at Sorrel River Lodge or something. certainly nice, but further from town.

I'll agree and disagree with Punta... Fruita/GJ is hardly a waste of time. There is awesome riding up there. I'm certainly no expert, but there is certainly a whole lot more then average and it's great riding. Is it hot? Ya, but a lot of Moab is too.

However, the hurricane area is awesome. Goose, Thunder Mountain and brian head are some of the highlights.

All that being said, you could easily spend 14 days here in Moab and be totally entertained. I've been here 5 months, just rode a new trail today. Have a whole bucket list to hit when the snow melts. Welcome to drop me a line when the time near - always up for riding with new folks...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yeah we aren't looking for anything luxury. but just something nice and comfortable. seems like the catered lodge style accom doesn't really happen here so will just have to do our selves.

just more important to be in a nice area, doesn't matter if its out of town a bit.

after a few of your suggestions i think we may just base ourselves in moab for the entire trip and just drive out to the trails we want to ride. Are all of those areas easily done in day trips?

Just some background we are all XC type guys but lean a bit more towards all mountain riding. small gaps and drop are no problem and enjoy a nice climb.

Paste eater
    Fruita/GJ riding is 1:20 to 2:00. The hurricane/St george area is too far for a day trip. Like 5 hours or something.

I wouldn't worry about not being in a "nice area". There's no "bad part" of Moab. Some of it might not be Manhattan, but if you find a nice place, jump on it and don't worry about the neighborhood.

Flaccid Member
    If going in September, particularly late last 2 weeks of sept, I'd mix it up a little bit and rest up one day, then give at least 3 days perusing some of Durango, CO. World Class rides up there, fall colors, perfect temps that time of year for the high country, etc.... Or maybe do that tour that they offer for 6 days from Durango to Moab, supported. You can find it on Hermosa Tours website.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    had a quick look at some of the trails around hurricane and i think that could be a definite option

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hurricane and St george

The Hurricane area is definatly worth a look, and thats a great time of year to visit the area. For Techy XC and AM style there are over 100 miles or trails. Not that I think Moab is lacking but I enjoy the variety of trails in south west utah. Gooseberry mesa and little creek are both techicnical slickrock rides and I much prefer the small crowds and nature feel of those trails to the touristy, and fees everywhere in moab. Ride slickrock pay a fee, ride at deadhorse point pay a fee, park pay a fee, camp pay a fee. The Jem trail and hurricane rim Goulds rim trail complex offers some tight smooth fast singletrack. Check out the southwest utah section under trails on Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs. If you want some specific trail beta shoot me a PM I know the area pretty well and have lots of GPS files from rides if anyone in your group has a GPS. If I am in the area that week I would love to join you guys for a ride. Plus you have Zion National Park close by if you can't ride 14 days straight. A hike up the cool water in the narrows is a perfect fit for blown legs.

Consider my vacation rental in the area in my signature. It works great for groups up to about 6 people and offers ride out access to the Jem and Hurricane rim with just a couple miles or riding on pavement. Its also about as close as you can get the Goose and Little Creek, but too far to ride to those destiniations unless you want 6 hour rides.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    The Hurricane area is definatly worth a look, and thats a great time of year to visit the area. For Techy XC and AM style there are over 100 miles or trails. Not that I think Moab is lacking but I enjoy the variety of trails in south west utah. Gooseberry mesa and little creek are both techicnical slickrock rides and I much prefer the small crowds and nature feel of those trails to the touristy, and fees everywhere in moab. Ride slickrock pay a fee, ride at deadhorse point pay a fee, park pay a fee, camp pay a fee. The Jem trail and hurricane rim Goulds rim trail complex offers some tight smooth fast singletrack. Check out the southwest utah section under trails on Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs. If you want some specific trail beta shoot me a PM I know the area pretty well and have lots of GPS files from rides if anyone in your group has a GPS. If I am in the area that week I would love to join you guys for a ride. Plus you have Zion National Park close by if you can't ride 14 days straight. A hike up the cool water in the narrows is a perfect fit for blown legs.

Consider my vacation rental in the area in my signature. It works great for groups up to about 6 people and offers ride out access to the Jem and Hurricane rim with just a couple miles or riding on pavement. Its also about as close as you can get the Goose and Little Creek, but too far to ride to those destiniations unless you want 6 hour rides.
    yeah going for a ride would be great, i will get back in contact closer to the time. as for you place it looks great but i think our group will be too big. but if we have some people pull out i will keep it in mind.

Bored Carp
    Outerbike is October 3-7. Houses do fill up for that period, if it is included in your itinerary.

Cheers,
    C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    do you think later in october would be better riding conditions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Moab in the Fall

Have I got news for you:
    Moab Mountain Bike Instruction | Clinics, camps, and private mountain bike instruction (you will have to google this stuff, I don't have enough posts to inject links)
    A big place to stay ]Moab Retreat House | Moab Lodging at its best. Call toll free 1-877-422-MOAB (6622)
    If you can take over Mayor's House || Bed and Breakfast in Moab, Utah. You'd have a hearty breakfast covered, at least.
    private Chef: Amy of Medium Rare Chefs 801-445-0936
    Moab Trail Mix has put together 43 additional miles of trail in 2011 and is not stopping. The organization is clearing Environmental Assessments with the Bureau of Land Management for the 2012 work plan.
    Over in the Klondikes you are going to be challenged with E.K.G., in the Brands Deadman's Ridge...from the La Sal Mountains the Whole Enchilada....
    about fees (Pedalfaraway comments): Utah does not have the lottery system like Colorado to have all those free amenities, I mean little 'ole Fairplay got a $289,000 playground for the population of 610. In Moab, it takes a workforce to maintain a healthy Moab. Back in the 1980 there was a hepititis breakout for all the poop shat at will on the land, now toilets are in place. There is no lottery to pay for that resource, while toilets are on the Trail Mix plan, private land owners at the Bar M Chuckwagon, across the street at the bottom of the Gemini Bridges trail have contracted port-a-potties and are appealing to the users to help pay for those services. Dead Horse Point has two fine loops 10 & 6 miles with spectacular views, still there are miles and miles of other trails that do not require entrance fees. Which brings me back to the WORLD FAMOUS slickrock trail. A 7 day pass is $10 for your carload. Besides the slickrock trail, tap into the Porcupine Rim Trail (if you have the skills). At the same time many of Moab's trails have slickrock components.
    Have fun which ever way you decide to go rpmjunky.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmjunky View Post
    meh, 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another... Less likely to get a heatwave, but both times are pleasant if you ask me.

In regards to "fees", yes you'll pay to camp - good to support the local rec lands IMO anyhow. beyond that, there is a whole lot of riding that doesn't have fees. In fact, I think SR and Dead Horse Point are the only two. Neither of wich are a must-do IMO. You can certainly make a point for SR, but the intrepid trails are just too short. They're nice, very tame and good fun, just worth the drive + fee for what you get...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks for all the replies. making it a bit easier to do some planning

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    we are renting a passenger van for the 2 weeks we are here (f350) and would like to know if there are any trailers available in the area set up to shuttle bikes. we will have 8-10 bikes. or if anybody has a personal trailer and would be prepared to rent it out?

we will probably hire a Uhaul to get from the airport to Moab but would like something a bit better once we are here.

Paste eater
    There is a uHaul here in Moab. There are a few things Uhaul doesn't allow, trash hauling is one. I'd check about bike shuttling. I'd imagine you aren't the first one around here to go down that route...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmjunky View Post
    Good thing about September is you are pretty much guaranteed to get the Whole Enchilada....October snow can hit at anytime up high in the La Sals. First two weeks of October are usually fine, but this past year the first week of October was wet in Moab and enough snow up high that Burro was shut down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    There is a uHaul here in Moab. There are a few things Uhaul doesn't allow, trash hauling is one. I'd check about bike shuttling. I'd imagine you aren't the first one around here to go down that route...
    yeah just looking for a trailer set up with racks so we don't have to stack the bikes on each other. will use Uhaul to get bike boxes from airport and back again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Try It This Way

As an outsider who spends most of his vacation money in Utah Iíve got to chime in here and remind the locals there is lot more to do than those world famous Utah bike trails. When you say the trails in the St. George and Hurricane area are not to be missed Iíve got to agree 100% but I would also suggest several of the amazing experiences found off the bike. A hike to the top of Angels Landing, down into the Subway or up the Narrows Canyon. A combined half day guided Canyoneering/Rappelling trip on Lambís Knoll and a hike up Angels landing cannot be missed and make for a great off the bike day. The Gooseberry and Thunder Mountain rides as stated by others are a must. Moab is a great place for biking, jeeping and some sightseeing in the local national parks, again something I highly recommend for another off bike recovery day. But donít skip St. George, Hurricane, Zion Park, Bryce Canyon/Thunder Mountain areas. Mix it up and do something more than ride the bike. This web site will give you a look at all the extras in the area St. George Utah Videos | Zion National Park Videos

Some bike trail adviseÖ..seek out the ďuniqueĒ experiences while on your trip, the rides, sights and adventures you just donít find in your neighborhood. Just my opinion, but donít bother with the Moab classic Slickrock Trail unless you have to ride in the rain. I did it once, which was one time too many. Iím not knocking it, just didnít do it for me.

And here is a real good Moab information web site.
    Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps.
    Our group always stays at the Moab Springs Ranch, not really a ranch but groups of condos at the Colorado River end of town. They have enclosed garages for locking down the bikes at night which is nice to have. Iíve heard of a few bikes or parts being lifted if they are easily accessible to those with sticky fingers. Moab Springs has all the creature comforts, close to town and a bike wash station for the clean freaks. A clean bike always riders better.

If you do a Grand Junction trip go straight to town to and the Lunch Loop Trail System. Ride up Pet-e-kes, head over to Holy Cross, go down Holy Cross then up Lemon Squeezer, over to Eagles Tail and down back to the parking lot. Plenty of ďgrunt and challengeĒ in these trails. I'd even do two loops on Holy Cross...one of my favorites. Check out videos of each on Youtube. These are great fun and good for the XC and All Mountain rider types. Fruita F18 road (Bookcliffs) area has a lot of smooth single track. The Kessel Run is great fast flowy downhill rhythm, but I prefer the ďChunkĒ whenever I go to these areas to ride. We have way too much "smooth" trail where I live. Fruita also has the Kokopelli Trail system which has smooth and chunk along with some great views of the Colorado River and red rock cliffs. Less chunk than Lunch Loops in Grand Junction but still some great stuff. You should find some good maps at the trailhead next to the donation box.

For guide services you might try checking with the bike shops for a local guy you can take you out riding for the day and toss him a few bones for his time and advice. Iím sure youíll find some takers.
    Shuttle companies Grand Junction

Also these guys websites have great photos, videos and reports on rides Utah and Western Colorado.
    MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures

http://petefagerlin.com/mountain bike helmetcam mtb videos biking[/url] some very well done videos. Several of them are mislabeled as Fruita rides but instead are Grand Junction Lunch Loops.

If you fly to Las Vegas you can easily do the St. George/Hurricane/Zion Park stopover, but if you fly into Salt Lake, Zion Park area is a bit of a detour. Whatever you do it will be a memorable trip.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbender View Post
    For guide services you might try checking with the bike shops for a local guy you can take you out riding for the day and toss him a few bones for his time and advice. Iím sure youíll find some takers.
    Ya right, guides cost money around here. Ever wonder why there are no shop rides around here? Wouldn't want to provide free tours now would we!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Vegas Baby.

Also don't forget that salt lake city and Park city utah have some amazing riding as well. I would spend at least a couple days riding the slc area since you are flying into slc anyway.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Park City & SLC

Foregive me.....You are correct. I plan on a few days of lift assisted riding the new freeride features on my way to the red rock paradise this year. It all gets better every year!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    FYI
    If your comming from Austrailia your probably flying into Las Vegas?? If so you drive thru St George area on your way to Moab. I'd deffinately schedule your first day or two in St George/Hurricane before continuing on to Moab. From Vegas to Moab would kill almost a whole day in just driving (7-8 hrs drive I think), better to break it up a little. St George has good rides but the "premier don't miss" trails are Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek. Different riding then anywhere else. Don't need a guide for either but I wouldn't venture onto Little Creek without at least a gps unit and track, talk to the guys at Over the Edge bikes in Hurricane for more info.

I'm surprised so many our down on the Slickrock trail. I would call it a must do, but you'll deffinately only ride it once. It's a lot of work but to me is/was worth it just for the scenery, miles of undulating red slickrock for as far as you can see with the river in background, I don't think you touch dirt anywhere on it. I spent a lot of time stopping and just being amazed by how it looked, feels like another planet. Not technical but physically demanding, was designed by motorcyclists I believe, must be nice to just twist the throttle to get to the top of some of the climbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast