mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Recent Moab trip

I posted here earlier seeking some information about a planned Moab trip and received some good information. My wife and I were there March 11-17 and had a great time. Weather was cool, but not too much so and the trails were in good shape, although there was a little snow up high on Porcupine Rim. We stayed at Up the Creek campground which is a nice place to stay run by nice folks. It was never crowded when we were there and the bathrooms were nice. We hit many of the well known trails and learned a lot about riding in the desert. We used the Mel's Guide and Latitude 40 maps with good success. I was fortunate enough to get together with tscheezy and Barney to ride Slickrock who put up with me and my pedal that chose to fall apart at the beginning of the ride. Here are a few pics from the trip. Can't wait to go back!

Sovereign upper loop:

Bartlett Wash:

Amasa Back:

Porcupine Rim:
    Last edited by AleutianMTB; 04-07-2008 at 10:32 AM.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Did you hit the stepup on Amasa Back?
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    Did you hit the stepup on Amasa Back?
    I looked at the step up, but wasn't feeling 100% about so I passed. Next time I am there, I plan to hit the step up as well as a few other features that I passed on this time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Smile any advice

I'm going to Moab for the first time too! I got Mel's book and 2 friends that have ridden the place before. I've been doing a lot of riding, so fitness and skills are there. Do you have any other,..."gee, I'll have to remember that for the next time!", advice? Smiles, thanks.
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org

Sir Hurt Locker
    I am also going to Moab for the first time!!! I'll be there from the 25th of April until May 3rd. I am so excited!!!!
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnz2Sea
    I'm going to Moab for the first time too! I got Mel's book and 2 friends that have ridden the place before. I've been doing a lot of riding, so fitness and skills are there. Do you have any other,..."gee, I'll have to remember that for the next time!", advice? Smiles, thanks.
    When we were there it wasn't that warm, but make sure you have a lot of water. Also try to have your camera attached to one of your pack shoulder straps or something. It's way easier than taking off your pack all the time. I wish I had taken more pictures while we were there. Make sure your bike is well maintained and that you have tools/spare parts. I was surprised how hard Moab was on equipment. Along those lines I would avoid carbon fiber in key areas of your bike. I broke a CF seat stay on an 08 Yeti 575 during this trip. Have fun.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by AleutianMTB
    When we were there it wasn't that warm, but make sure you have a lot of water. Also try to have your camera attached to one of your pack shoulder straps or something. It's way easier than taking off your pack all the time. I wish I had taken more pictures while we were there. Make sure your bike is well maintained and that you have tools/spare parts. I was surprised how hard Moab was on equipment. Along those lines I would avoid carbon fiber in key areas of your bike. I broke a CF seat stay on an 08 Yeti 575 during this trip. Have fun.
    Agreed, I have broken a lot of stuff in Moab that was in perfectly-maintained condition before I arrived. You don't have to drop the bike, either. The relentless ledges and washboard terrain will take care of it for you.

If you feel like there is something you could add, would you mind posting a quick follow-up in our Moab Trip Planner sticky?

JMH