mtbr member
    May 2011

Really? "Regulation" forbids Whole Enchilada shuttling until June?

So I was getting all excited about making my first trip out to Moab next week. I was hoping to get a chance to go before my first child is born in May.

Being a Moab newb, I called the LBS in town to ask about shuttling and was told that new "regulation" forbids shuttling to the top of Whole Enchilada. We would only be able to get shuttle rides to Porcupine, Mag 7, and something else.

Really? Is this true? I don't want to make the trip all the way out to Moab if I have to miss riding the whole enchilada.

beater

Burro Pass is at 11,000 feet, steep, north-facing and heavily wooded. It'll be buried in snow for months yet. There is no way it would be rideable in your window of opportunity.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think Burro is up for discussion and might be on the chopping block. Not sure if it would affect hazard. Check the Moab trail closures threatened thread

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sorry, I should clarify my post. I heard that the regulation applies until June (not permanently).

evasive, thanks for the info. I didn't realize the area was still covered in snow. I guess I should have done more research before getting my hopes up for a trip at this time of year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Regulated for the shuttle companies; not recreationalists. So, if you had two vehicles, you could legally drive up as far as snow allows. But, like evasive said, don't count on Burro Pass. From Hazzard down may be a possibilty. Check the snotel sites to see what the snowpack is like up there. Also, while the upper part of the Whole Enchilada is scenic, the quality of riding from Porcupine Rim down to the highway is extraordinary. It is highly unlikely that you will not be able to ride at least from Porcupine Rim down (about 7,400 ft. elevation). So, have a great trip and enjoy at least Porcupine Rim (my favorite Moab trail).

beater
    Sorry for the curt response; I was typing on the phone. Depending on what part of May and what kind of winter it was, I've generally been able to start from the La Sal road (i.e. Kokopelli down). The start point usually shifts up and down the system as spring moisture comes and goes. A couple years ago we caught it right after a snowfall ago and had to ride up to the top of UPS from high on Sand Flats road, when just the week before they had been riding off the La Sal road. As rippling over canyons posted above, even if you can only ride the 'classic' portion of Porcupine Rim, it's still worth doing, and there are plenty of other trails to enjoy. I'm headed down next week, in fact. Don't let spring conditions keep you from taking the trip while you can.

I just had a quick look at the forest page, and the road is closed at the winter trailhead until May 20. That may also have been what the person you spoke to meant. When you're considering the high alpine, there usually isn't a lot of conflict between seasonal closure dates and when something is actually passable or rideable. One of my favorite rides in MT is closed for mountain goat kidding until July 15, and it's 50/50 whether you'd actually want to try it by that date without expecting to posthole through a sidehill drift carrying your bike (which sucks, by the way).

Paste eater
    Burro generally isn't ready till near July. Certainly not May. So there's that... Also, Burro is NOT on the chopping block. Many of the trails that could potentially be shut down to bikes, are unfamiliar to most. docs here: Manti-La Sal National Forest - Home #3 is what local mountain bikers and Trail mix is supporting. Feel free to drop Brian Murdock a note at bmurdock@fs.fed.us as the FS is counting on public feedback.

Also, as of this past weekend, shuttles were running to porcupine only. However, a few of us rode LPS and with the exception of a bit of snow at the Notch/Snotch it was awesome.

mtbr member
    From what I've read (much of it second or 3rd hand), the proposal is only to limit riding from Burro Pass until July 1 "or until conditions permit use of the trail without doing damage." So that may apply to everyone -- including private shuttlers -- if the regulation is eventually passed. But spots below that are not going to be affected by the changes. And at any rate, it is going to be months until Burro is snow free this year.

But don't despair! IMO (and please don't burn me at the stake for heresy), the best part of TWE is from UPS down, anyway. The "Whole Enchilada" experience from Burro is cool, to be sure. But Burro and Hazard are pretty much just high alpine riding, and Kokopelli is a high speed double track. The ride doesn't start to get really interesting until you get into the UPS/LPS stuff, IMO. It is the lower 1/2 of TWE that is unique and the part that makes this the coolest trail in the world. Depending on conditions, you should be able to do the Porcupine Rim, and maybe as high as LPS this time of year. There is access to LPS right off of Sand Flats road a couple miles above the water tanks, where the traditional Porcupine Rim starts. I don't know if the commercial shuttles go there or not, but my friends and I have shuttled ourselves there in the past, and had a ball.

See how high the shuttles will take you, start from there, and have a great ride! Still worth the trip.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    From what I've read (much of it second or 3rd hand), the proposal is only to limit riding from Burro Pass until July 1 "or until conditions permit use of the trail without doing damage." So that may apply to everyone -- including private shuttlers -- if the regulation is eventually passed. But spots below that are not going to be affected by the changes. And at any rate, it is going to be months until Burro is snow free this year.

But don't despair! IMO (and please don't burn me at the stake for heresy), the best part of TWE is from UPS down, anyway. The "Whole Enchilada" experience from Burro is cool, to be sure. But Burro and Hazard are pretty much just high alpine riding, and Kokopelli is a high speed double track. The ride doesn't start to get really interesting until you get into the UPS/LPS stuff, IMO. It is the lower 1/2 of TWE that is unique and the part that makes this the coolest trail in the world. Depending on conditions, you should be able to do the Porcupine Rim, and maybe as high as LPS this time of year. There is access to LPS right off of Sand Flats road a couple miles above the water tanks, where the traditional Porcupine Rim starts. I don't know if the commercial shuttles go there or not, but my friends and I have shuttled ourselves there in the past, and had a ball.

See how high the shuttles will take you, start from there, and have a great ride! Still worth the trip.
    Burro is not in Jeopardy. At least not according any of the options (see above for link) or the nice fella I talked to at the forest service.

Commercial shuttles DO run to the top of LPS, Koko, hazard and, of course, Burro.

Burro is awesome. Steep, technical and fast. Hazard is fast and fun, but not terribly unique. Kokopelli is merley a smoth, fast jeep road. UPS and LPS is some of the best sinlge track anywhere. So fun. Porucpine proper is a jeep road that ranges form pretty fun, to down right crappy. Lower Porcupine Single track is technical and some of the best singletrack around.
    Last edited by Jwind; 03-28-2013 at 08:51 AM.

beater

Agreed, jwind. Sometimes it's hard to pick my favorite part, but LPS always comes out on top. The flow is superb. Really hoping I can get on it next week. Burro is the steepest sustained descent I've ever ridden, and it is ridiculous. Too bad I live far enough away that it's a 1-2x a year ride.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffsw View Post
    Really? Is this true? I don't want to make the trip all the way out to Moab if I have to miss riding the whole enchilada.
    TWE discussion aside, there is still a lot of riding in Moab to make the trip worthwhile. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but when we lived close enough to make it a 2-5 time a year trip, we always found it worthwhile and never once rode above the LaSal road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Burro generally isn't ready till near July. Certainly not May. So there's that... Also, Burro is NOT on the chopping block. Many of the trails that could potentially be shut down to bikes, are unfamiliar to most. docs here: Manti-La Sal National Forest - Home #3 is what local mountain bikers and Trail mix is supporting. Feel free to drop Brian Murdock a note at bmurdock@fs.fed.us as the FS is counting on public feedback.

Also, as of this past weekend, shuttles were running to porcupine only. However, a few of us rode LPS and with the exception of a bit of snow at the Notch/Snotch it was awesome.
    This.

We rode LPS down on Saturday. Fairly deep snow bank at The Notch/ Snotch, but everything else was rideable.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra