Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    addict

R.I.P. Porcupine Singletrack. You had a good run!

Just got done riding it, sad day. Almost completely sanitized, some of it is irreversible. Sorry if you were looking forward to the porcupine experience, it 's forever changed. Now its just another trail. I will look into it, but If anyone knows for sure who is responsible, please post that info here, If you find this unacceptable, please let it be known before they do any more "trail work"
    Ride On!

Paste eater
    Trailmix is responsible. While this particular event is unfortunate for those who love(d) the trail, let's not forget that Trail mix is responsible for a very large portion of the trails we all love in Moab , associated political negotiations to get them approved and countless man hours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    posted a link ...looks like their meetings are open to the public

Trail Mix

addict
    Previous good work on trails notwithstanding, I cannot find any justification to turn the cornerstone of the Moab trail system into just another groomed bike path, which is what they are doing. This was not done to decrease erosion, this was solely to dumb down the trail to the lowest common denominator. This is not good for the mountain bike community, or the community of Moab. There are plenty of options for riders of all abilities. We don't need to be losing any of the advanced trails. If people are feeling the need to dig up rocks and smooth trail, there is plenty to be done on the jeep road portion.
    Ride On!

addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    posted a link ...looks like their meetings are open to the public

Trail Mix
    Thanks for posting, also here

https://www.facebook.com/MoabTrailMix?fref=ts
    Ride On!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Are you referring to the last singletrack section above the river? What was removed?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm wondering if the grand goal is to tame down the whole enchilada so more people will buy shuttles? Since burro down became the whole enchilada there's been a progressive sanitation trend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82 View Post
    Just got done riding it, sad day. Almost completely sanitized, some of it is irreversible. Sorry if you were looking forward to the porcupine experience, it 's forever changed. Now its just another trail. I will look into it, but If anyone knows for sure who is responsible, please post that info here, If you find this unacceptable, please let it be known before they do any more "trail work"
    Please elaborate...

This is one of my favorite trails, I was out there a month ago and will be again in 2 weeks. What has been "sanitized" and where?

mtbr member
    What??? That's just wrong. Go build some new trail and leave the good stuff alone.

addict
    In virtually all of the techy or "hard" sections of the singletrack that drops to the river, rocks have been completely removed or chipped away, most ledges have been turned into rock ramps. Any challenge has been eliminated. I don't know if it's a global conspiracy started by the shuttle companies, I would doubt it, they seem to be doing well. It's definitely a precedent that cannot be set. I'm not the only one, there were several folks, locals and visitors alike, that were not too happy with what they saw today. I will try to get pictures later this week.
    Ride On!

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Unfortunately, it is the natural progression. Trails get easier over time. Ride arounds happen. People think trail alterations make a good substitute for skills.
    I can see why porc gets hit hard for sanitation although I don't like it. I remember walking sections on most every ride. It was just how Moab worked. Riders used to walk and then didn't so much as they got better. It was part of what made Moab special.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    A sad day indeed. Any trail that can be entirely ridden is not a good trail. The best trails all have features that are beyond one's levels and these are the trails that mountain bikers search for. It amazes me that Trailmix doesn't understand this, particularly when there are so many easier alternatives already in existence in Moab such as Gemini Bridges, Klondike Bluffs, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    A sad day indeed. Any trail that can be entirely ridden is not a good trail. The best trails all have features that are beyond one's levels and these are the trails that mountain bikers search for. It amazes me that Trailmix doesn't understand this, particularly when there are so many easier alternatives already in existence in Moab such as Gemini Bridges, Klondike Bluffs, etc.
    This is why I suspect the plan is to make the Whole Enchilada easier. You don't need to spend 25 bucks to shuttle those easier rides. Now that there's a go around for the notch, and pork single track has been sanitized, there's no major obstacles a reasonably fit beginner/intermediate rider can't handle. You don't even need to be fit if you start somewhere bellow burrow.

We need to remember that most riders that travel to Moab simply rent a bike and ride Slick Rock. With a little dumbing down, that same market can be tapped for shuttles. Of course locals and guys like me that live close buy are going to upset, but your average rider that travels to moab will likely love the new trail work.

mtbr member
    "There are ample opportunities to volunteer! ... If you are interested in lending a hand in our efforts to keep the trails in good running condition (or riding, hiking or cross country skiing condition for that matter), please email Moab Trail Mix." Sometimes if you want something done right, you just have to do it yourself.

MTB B'dos
    Sounds like you guys got screwed to make things so beginners can ride it - THAT BLOWS. Sounds like BS from Trail Mix to me, sems someone's after making more money like said. If there is nothing to work towards, what's the challenge?? This is one place I've longed to ride because of the challenges I've seen on it from photos and videos, something to really test yourself on, not something I'll long for now
    When I first started riding I went to what is now one of my most fav trails, I rode MAYBE 10% of it, but it gave me inspiration to ride more, improve my skills and be able to ride more. Now nearly 9 years later I can ride about 95% of it and still love the 5% I cannot quite ride yet, it gives me motivation to keep trying and progressing.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well I would not go so far and say that beginners can ride it. Porcupine is still a mine field of danger despite the changes. A lot of people will think the trail has more flow but others will miss the obstacles. Mostly those knarly dangerous sections have been changed, but ther are still a ton of knarly dangerous sections to huck your meat.

Paste eater
    Believe me, I am just as disappointed as everyone here, if not more. This trail is in my backyard and 2 miles of some of the best singletrack ever - or at least it was. That being said, it's really not fair to beat trailmix down for this and like Punta mentioned, it's not a beginner trail now. Trailmixes positive influence on the MTB community in Moab far, far outweighs any actions you may or may not agree with.

Evidently, the trails evolution in terms of braiding has come under greater scrutiny. While I am 100% in agreement, that trails should be walked, not sanitized, in areas that are difficult the truth is, sometimes compromises have to be made. Especially on a trail as iconic as this one. I don't know the details, but there *is* a very, very large trail decision to be made in the La Sals soon. If the actions Trailmix has taken on PS makes the MTB community look that much better in the community it's possible we may reap the benifits in the form of a LOT more trail in the La Sals.

And before rumors get out of hand, 'Porcupine Singletrack' is the last *2* miles of singletrack before reaching the colorado and not all of it was changed (just the good parts ). Also, there is just no way there is a conspiracy to make TWE easier so everyone can ride it. Trailmix doesn't stand to gain anything from more traffic on the enchilada and has no ties to Shuttle companies.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Really!? Sanitizing a trail that people come from all over the world to ride because of what it was. Hey Moab, are jeep tourist all you want coming to your town? A lot of us come to Moab to escape our locally sanitized trail, not to drink 3.2 beer.
    It's really sad that this is happening everywhere. What I don't get is why. All the marketing and videos (red bull rampage, where the trail ends) that showcases our sport are completely opposite of whats happening to trails. Bikes are becoming more and more capable yet trails are being dumbed down. who does this make sense too?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    Really!? Sanitizing a trail that people come from all over the world to ride... who does this make sense too?
    I got a little bit of back story on this - SUWA has been concerned about Porc ST for years. It travels through a Wilderness Study Area so it has always been under great scrutiny. The fact that so many people ride the trail (or rather - walk or ride around obstacles) has caused massive erosion, multiple lines and a general beat-down of the area. My understanding is that pressure on the BLM had reached a point where the BLM gave Trail Mix the opportunity to fix it, or have it fixed FOR them. By "fixed" I mean create a trail that has one line that is rideable by "average" riders that the majority of people will stay on.

It's a catch-22 and I bet Trail Mix is not too happy about it either, they're good folks and are doing great things. Hopefully you all got all the Porc ST skeletons out of your closets before this happened because the popularity of this trail has become its downfall in a very big way. I am glad we still get to ride there but I will miss the awesome moves.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I got a little bit of back story on this - SUWA has been concerned about Porc ST for years. It travels through a Wilderness Study Area so it has always been under great scrutiny. The fact that so many people ride the trail (or rather - walk or ride around obstacles) has caused massive erosion, multiple lines and a general beat-down of the area. My understanding is that pressure on the BLM had reached a point where the BLM gave Trail Mix the opportunity to fix it, or have it fixed FOR them. By "fixed" I mean create a trail that has one line that is rideable by "average" riders that the majority of people will stay on.

It's a catch-22 and I bet Trail Mix is not too happy about it either, they're good folks and are doing great things. Hopefully you all got all the Porc ST skeletons out of your closets before this happened because the popularity of this trail has become its downfall in a very big way. I am glad we still get to ride there but I will miss the awesome moves.
    Thanks for clarifying. I guess we are lucky it wasn't shut down all together.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post

At the risk of beings totally NOT PC, there is a reason why you will see "SUWA SUCKS" stickers around Moab.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I haven't been on the PR singletrack in at least 10 years, so I don't remember that much about it, other than walking one really steep right-hand switchback.

Anyway. Off topic:

Red Bull type events are a dead end for mountain biking. Very cool to watch, but not sustainable on public lands. Bikes becoming more capable may actually cause us serious problems in the near future, because now any noob can take a fairly inexpensive 6 inch travel trail bike and go *very* fast on pretty techy stuff - then run off the trail and crush some undisturbed cryptobiotic soil or run over a hiker. 20 years ago that same rider would have crashed their rigid canti-brake bike with 1.9 knobbies in the first 10 feet if they had attempted anything difficult.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    Really!? Sanitizing a trail that people come from all over the world to ride because of what it was. Hey Moab, are jeep tourist all you want coming to your town? A lot of us come to Moab to escape our locally sanitized trail, not to drink 3.2 beer.
    It's really sad that this is happening everywhere. What I don't get is why. All the marketing and videos (red bull rampage, where the trail ends) that showcases our sport are completely opposite of whats happening to trails. Bikes are becoming more and more capable yet trails are being dumbed down. who does this make sense too?
    This is somewhat of a let down - I've been hearing the hype about Porcupine for a few years from buddies and others that have ridden it. Going there for the first time in a couple weeks. I'll be obviously naive to the changes having never ridden it before, but knowing that it's been dumbed down kinda deflates the air out of my tires.

Just upgraded the bike too for exactly the type of terrain Porcupine *was* known for... *sigh*
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Keep in mind that trailmix has also been maintaining this section of trail for 10+/- ? years. They have been the ones who have made it from a road to a singletrack in certain sections. They have been a part of making it such a fun 'single' track to begin with... they have closed many braids before... usually the motos screw any work up anyway..

I never condone or like dumbing down of trails... but sometimes things need to be done, I am nearly certain that this is still a very fun and challenging section of trail...

its not like its closed.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    As someone who is pretty obsessed with technical trail riding, it's always a bummer to hear about trail sanitation but I can't slam TrailMix for this. Porc has changed plenty over the last decade, some for the better, some for the worse. Last year I was pretty surprised how many braids had formed around obstacles on the way down. Fact of the matter is, it's a rite of passage trail for anyone that goes to Moab to ride bikes. I've seen enough tourist families out there in jeans dragging along kids on 20 inch wheeled bikes that it's inevitable that the trail is going to be dumbed down along the way. Quite frankly, Porc is a great ride for the variety it offers and the views, but it's never a trail I would go to specifically for the tech factor. If it wasn't for the exposure it's pretty much a moderate difficulty level Moab trail. Sure there are some great ledges and a couple really difficult tech moves along the way but that was never the reason I wanted to go ride that trail. For crazy tech riding there are still Jackson's and Portal, both far more technically demanding and less used by the masses. Hopefully some singletrack accross the top of Porc in place of some of the doubletrack is next in line, I could definitely do without some of the shark fin, stutter bump, speed killer, doubletrack sections across the top.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast