mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Q. for Kokopelli veterans.

I am planning a Kokopelli trip this spring (Fruita to Moab) and have been studying up on the trip. Some descriptions say there is no water available and you have to stash water along the way or have a support vehicle.
    Some say there is surface water that can be filtered from as you go. My preference would be to just bring a filter for my water needs but that could be a bad mistake if it turns out there isn't really any water available.
    What say those that have made the trip?

frejwilk

Water

There is in fact water along the Kokopelli Trail. Not plentiful, but there are a few regular, reliable sources. Depending on your plans and experience, you might find filtering from sources along the way to be fine. Or you may have a bad experience in the desert.

When specifically in the Spring will your trip be? How many days are you planning? Have you done off road mtn bike touring before? What are you planning to bring gear wise? Are you familiar with desert conditions?

I think a four or five day trip could be planned so that you'd camp near a water source each night. That would certainly be important to me. Some of these sources are not super easy to deal with though. You'd want to be prepared to deal with silty water at least. Even planning well, there would be days with long stretches between water.

If someone didn't need to be self supported, and was able to drop supplies (just need a few hours and a car), some water (and maybe a few extra luxuries) would be pretty nice to have cached along the way.

Good luck,

FW

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I was planning on May or June for my trip and shoot for 3 days. I have not done mtn bike touring before but I have gone on multi day backpacking trips in desert conditions.
    Gear wise I am still going to do some research but thinking minimalist backpacking gear for a start.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Pretty hot then

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Bad
    I was planning on May or June for my trip and shoot for 3 days. I have not done mtn bike touring before but I have gone on multi day backpacking trips in desert conditions.
    Gear wise I am still going to do some research but thinking minimalist backpacking gear for a start.
    You're going to need a lot more water then than you would in March/April or later in the fall. Plan on 100 degree temps. Good luck.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Bad
    May is probably the best spring month to ride the Kokopelli Trail. It is getting hot in June. I often see folks post about temperatures and how they can handle hot days - especially dry heat. I would just point out that multi day touring in summer desert conditions is a serious undertaking.

The lighter the better as far as gear goes. It's good that you're researching now. Make sure to test your setup before the tour.

This is a question that comes up every spring. Search back through this forum, the western Colorado forum, and the endurance racing forum for lots of discussion on Kokopelli riding.

FW

fight the system

koko

Espeically march and maybe in april you cant ride the whole thing because the LaSals are still covered with snow. May is your your best shot to minimize heat and have a clear trail. I've ridden it unsupported in a day and can verify there are few reliable water stops where the trail crosses the CO river in the first half then things start to sketch out till fisher creek in the last quarter. Use google liberally to plan and you'll know exactly what to expect. Have fun out there!
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.