Thread: Protection

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Protection

So I have been debating buying some pads for an upcoming trip to Moab. I am certainly no freerider, but I really like technical trail. I never ride with pads now.

Would elbow and knee pads be a good idea for trails like Slickrock, Porcupine rim and Amasa back?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you catch air I would say for sure. There's hits all over the place and it adds to the confidence factor... Also, "road rash" from sliding on slickrock is brutal and takes a long time to heal.

If you pretty much stick to the ground I probably wouldn't bother, especially if you're used to riding technical trail. I wear it on porc rim (fast downhill w/ lot's o hits) and bartlett wash (freeride hits) but not on more XC type stuff like mill creek or sovereign. A lot of times though I will strap the protection to my bike and put it on for a drop session if we see something cool. Too hot to ride all day with the armor on...

mtbr member
    Its about the confidence as mentioned. Get knee pads if nothing else. I've busted up both ends of the body.... legs sucks more than arms. Not being mobile really makes things very difficult.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

At the very least

Get a pair of Fox Comp elbow pads (very lightweight but way better than nothing) and some SixSixOne Kyle Straight knee pads. You don't have to be catching air to get hurt in Moab.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I just got off the trail at Porcupine Rim. We started up at Kokopelli at 8,500 ft (highly recommended). I wore arms and leg protection the full 20 miles down. Absolutely no regrets. I bought it two or three times and think I was saved a severe cut/break on one of those falls. Starting at 8,500 ft a 10 am the temp was about 45 or 50 with winds of 15 mph. I found no problem with the armour. As above, it helps ith the confidence fctor an dall around ride experience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i second 661 kyle strait's...i wore them yesterday when riding porcupine and it didn't bother me in the least bit...and i really like 661 4x4 for my arms. both pads breath very well. i didn't crash, but at the speeds i was going while on the dh sections, i would have been messed up on the jagged rocks, so i def recommend pads for porcupine. if you have a fr/dh bike you'll want to just go fast and jump whatever you can find

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I rode porcupine last weekend on my Truth; I'm a XC guy. I took an outside line over a pretty steep drop. There was a pretty hefty branch hiding behind, what I thought were some small shrubs-like limbs. I was wrong. I pulled a stick out of my knee about an inch long. Some armor would have been nice, not to mention the warmth it would have provided up top. My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Chexem - Did you get a look at Hazard County while you were up there? If Koko is as high as you can go above UPS is it worth the extra cost?