Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Possibly moving to Salt Lake City

I may be moving from Boise to Salt Lake in the next couple of months. What are the good bike shops and trails in and around Salt Lake? We're looking at houses in the Avenues (the cheaper ones!) and potentially along the east side of town. Definitely NOT looking outside of the city. What's the riding scene like down there? Where can I go for the good info? What about clubs/group rides?

get up n jump

Utah is the place to be

I really like dealing with Guthries Bike Shop. Also Fishers is very good, Contender is okay but they seemed a little "to cool" for me. The only riding I have done this year is in the foothills behind the U of U. Millcreek canyon has good trails. There are a ton of very good trails all over. Most of which are not to far away. This site might help you out http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/ . I am not sure about clubs but I would like to know more myself. If you like riding with a fat slow guy let me know. I am currently grounded from my bike but hope to be on it as early as July. Good luck.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

The Sentinel

Cycling Utah

http://www.cyclingutah.com/

They have quite a bit of info...clubs, rides, racing...although why anyone would want to race on a bicycle, I'll never know!
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

The Sentinel

Utah Cycling

damn double post!
    Last edited by mtnbiker62; 04-13-2004 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Double post
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Guess it depends on what type of riding you do. Go-Ride is my favorite shop. I've gone on a few group rides with Canyon Bicycles in Draper, and White Pine in Park City, both of which were nice, but I'm not all that into XC, so my idea of group riding is at Deer Valley.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I live in the Avenues and there are some good trails right in the foothilss behind me. You can even get over to Bountiful to ride without a car. As far as shops, there is Wild Rose in the Avenues and a bunch within 5-10 mins. Wild Rose is a fine shop, I don't care for Guthrie's and I like Contender. Fisher's will rip you off. But, everone has different expectations and has had different experiences.To each there own. As far as group rides go, If you can hang with Guthries' racers they head out a good bit, and I know Contender does some group rides on Sat. I think. I don't work during the summer, so if you are looking for someone to show you around, I can help you out.

mtbr member

Revolution Mountain Sports

Matt at Revolution Mountain Sports is great. I think they are the most single speed friendly shop in the valley (you are a ss'er, right?). www.revolutionutah.com