Flyin Canine

porcupine rim shuttle questions

I noticed in many of the posts about porc rim it is recommened to shuttle to the top. Does anyone have info on doing this. Do you need to make reservations in advance? If so which shops should I call? Thanks for any help.

Perpetually single track
    Coyote Shuttle is your best (and maybe only) bet. http://www.dexonline.com/servlet/Act...x=0&Search.y=0

Costs about 10 bucks and is convienent as all hell. Unless you're looping it sans shuttle this is the best option.

The guy who runs it does like three shuttles runs every morn (8:30,9:30,10:30) on the weekends. Give him a ring to get the details, plus a great dude to bull$hit with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    I noticed in many of the posts about porc rim it is recommened to shuttle to the top. Does anyone have info on doing this. Do you need to make reservations in advance? If so which shops should I call? Thanks for any help.
    Almost every bike store does a shuttle. I used Slickrock Cycles when I went. They were good. It'll cost you 10 bucks a person. but it's worth it. Also, Spider cycles is good too.
    Pain is only temporary...Glory lasts forever.

what's for lunch today?
    Feb 2004
    Chili Cycles and Poison Spider will have pickups from [whatever shuttle]. $10 and if you're lucky, you get to chat with knowledgable local about the trails and other such stuff. You can also do your own shuttle starting at the trailhead up Sand Flats Rd and pickup at the end of the trail on that highway parking lot. Sorry for lack of details, but if you find any decent trail desciption, you'll find details.

The cat who could ride a bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The way that always works good for us (if you have two cars) is to leave a car at the end of porcupine, jam everyone into one car, and head up to the trailhead. None of us like riding the road back into moab so this way works good.

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just ride the loop

We talking about adding 1 1/2 hour of nice climbing. is that worth 10 bucks. What else do you have to do? Just ride it
    BSG

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BSG
    We talking about adding 1 1/2 hour of nice climbing. is that worth 10 bucks. What else do you have to do? Just ride it
    BSG
    It's different when your bike weighs 45 lbs and you've got a single ring up front. Porcupine's still a good ride though. I love it as long as it's not 100+ degrees.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSG
    BSG
    I don't mind the ride back to town, but riding a washboard gravel road with a million cars passing you kicking up dust on the way up? I'd rather take the spare time and energy and ride a second trail instead. It's worth the money or time organizing with others to shuttle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Shuttle it!

Quote Originally Posted by connie
    I don't mind the ride back to town, but riding a washboard gravel road with a million cars passing you kicking up dust on the way up? I'd rather take the spare time and energy and ride a second trail instead. It's worth the money or time organizing with others to shuttle.
    I agree. I have a lot of better things to do, like ride trails, not roads. There are a lot of good shuttles and you usually don't need reservations. We found one for $5 apiece once to the trailhead from town. You can usually find a ride back to town at the end of the trail. Then you have time for another trail. That's my preference anyway.
    [SIZE=1]If you cannot understand that there is something in a man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. If you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainDog
    That's my preference anyway.
    That's because you're a candy a$$ and can't pedal that unefficent piece of outdated hardware you call a bike for more than a few miles without the aid of gravity. Even with a shuttle, the last time you rode Porcupine it left you sucking your thumb for a few days . You should know by now that your sister can't keep a secret for more than 24 hours .
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 04-30-2004 at 03:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

FYI Crash:

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    That's because you're a candy a$$ and can't pedal that unefficent piece of outdated hardware you call a bike for more than a few miles without the aid of gravity. Even with a shuttle, the last time you rode Porcupine it left you sucking your thumb for a few days . You should know by now that your sister can't keep a secret for more than 24 hours .
    1. The last time I rode porcupine I was on a rented bike
    2. There is no such word as "unefficient"
    3. I actually hurt my thumb pretty bad that day; and finally
    4. Her lack of discretion is more YOUR problem than mine, if you think about it.

PS: My bike will kick your low-riding anal appendage any week.
    [SIZE=1]If you cannot understand that there is something in a man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. If you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainDog
    My bike will kick your low-riding anal appendage any week.
    HA! Let’s see, enumerate your rebuttal, blame your lack of skill on equipment, correct grammar, reinforce the issue of you “sucking your thumb”, try to tell me that my wife’s need to tell the truth is a problem, and finally you ironically validate your argument and skills with equipment. The fact remains my numerous and unmet invitations to ride still stand. Stop skirting the issue and come ride .

Sorry for the hijacked thread folks. There’s nothing like a little family feud to entertain the troops. We now return you to your regular programming.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    shuttle? holy cow, what a bunch of wusses. porc rim is a pretty easy ride to do from town. if you do the upper singletrack bits, it's a longer ride, but still doable without a shuttle. in the fall when i rode with this wimpy girl, she refused to pedal, so she gave me money for gas, and i parked my truck up where kokopellis crosses the lasal mtn loop road, then i just rode my dirt bike up later to get the truck. but even the wimpy girly-girl rode from the end of the trail back to town.

the one good thing about the proliferation of wussy bikers and shuttles is that many of the less shuttle-able trails are pretty much deserted nowadays. you could ride all day on chimney rock and a few others on the northwest side of downieville and not see another human because they're all bombing down butcher ranch on their motor-less motorcycles.
    mw

p.s. if you shuttle, shuttle all the way up lasal mtn loop road, and take the good way down. ask around when you get there.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Flyin Canine
    Thanks everyone for the advice. We wound up meeting some cool Canadians from Alberta in our campsite and we worked out a shuttle with them since we only had one car. We left one car in the campsite and then rode all the way from the top car back through town to the camp. Man that was a fun trail. Leaving a car at the bottom of the trail would not a bad idea in case someone has a mechanical on the trail and can't ride back to town.