mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Porcupine Rim on DH Bike? other suggestions?

We'll be out in Moab for 4 days and wanted to throw a shuttle day into the mix. Is it possible to ride Porcupine Rim on a DH bike or is there too much climbing? any other shuttles possible on a DH rig? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

DH on Porcupine

I've ridden a DH bike on Porcupine RIm and it is a blast. It was ideal when Upper Porcupine Singletrack(UPS) was open, because there was almost no climbing that way, but that is closed now. LPS (Lower Porc Singletrack) is still open, and cuts the climbing from 3 miles to about 3/4 of a mile. I would highly recommend that. Keep in mind that there is five miles of road riding back to town at the end.

As for other shuttles, Burro/Hazard/Porc is doable on a DH bike, but you'll push the first 1/2 mile and climb maybe 2 miles total the rest of the way. That won't be rideable until June at the earliest.

Of course, you can push up Moab Rim and ride back down. Too bad they took out the chairlift a few years ago. That was a nice DH playground.

There are some DH trails that come down from Sand Flats to town. Ask at Poison Spider for info.

Bartlett Wash is not a shuttle, but there are great freeride hits that don't require much climbing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the tip -- hit LPS and Porcupine this morning on the DH rig and it was sick!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Glad I could help

I'm envious. I saw where it is almost 80 out there today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Can you still hit Kokopeli to LPS? Or would it be better to just drive up sand flats to LPS?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I hit PRim on my V-Tach a few years back. It's a big bike but after a winter of pedalling that bike uphill I was in good enough shape to make a go of it. The V-Tach has a full-length seat tube which is the most important thing - Porc Rim is not exactly gnarly by DH/bike park standards and there is a lot of pedalling - so as long as your DH bike is not a complete dropped-seat shuttle sled you should be fine.

I loved it on my V-Tach, which weighed around 47lbs at the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Speaking of going to Moab with just a DH rig

Quote Originally Posted by asin
    I hit PRim on my V-Tach a few years back. It's a big bike but after a winter of pedalling that bike uphill I was in good enough shape to make a go of it. The V-Tach has a full-length seat tube which is the most important thing - Porc Rim is not exactly gnarly by DH/bike park standards and there is a lot of pedalling - so as long as your DH bike is not a complete dropped-seat shuttle sled you should be fine.

I loved it on my V-Tach, which weighed around 47lbs at the time.
    I was in the parking lot of Sovereign (you could ride that on a hardtail) and a group of riders were getting their bikes ready. One guy sat on his bike and I swear he had 4 inches of sag! His seat was so low his knees would have to almost hit his chin when he pedaled (if he ever did). One of his buddies said "don't you want to raise that seat a bit?" He looked truly perplexed and said "why?".
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah that's a little crazy. I mean, it's not like you'd need that much clearance - the trail's not that steep or that gnarly - it's a classic techy rocky XC trail.

I'm able to get proper leg extension on my V-Tach so doing a trail like PRim is mostly a matter of leg and lung. I wouldn't even consider riding PRim on a big bike it if my seat was buried the whole time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I concur w/ the comments above. I rode it on my VP-Free w/ seat as high as it would go for the pedaling portions.

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by asin
    Yeah that's a little crazy. I mean, it's not like you'd need that much clearance - the trail's not that steep or that gnarly - it's a classic techy rocky XC trail.
    There are now two places on Sovereign where a DH bike wouldn't totally be overkill. Both are part of the new Salt Wash Trail. The first section drops you over the edge of the mesa into the Slickrock Playground, just before you would have normally started the long, straight descent that eventually intersects the ATV track at the bottom, near the gully.

The second section drops you off the other side of the mesa. Pedaling out towards the Playground, you see it marked as "Extreme Difficulty", and "Downhill Only Recommended". That descent has a pretty high pucker factor, in that is very steep, very loose, and has a couple of incredibly tight switchbacks with exposure. Death exposure if you bar dove over them. A 64 or 65 degree head angle through that section wouldn't be too unwelcome. Lots of travel isn't a priority in either section, just the relaxed angles.

Otherwise, you're right. Squish on Sovereign feels good, but isn't strictly necessary.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Edenger,

I sure hope you had fun on Porcupine and were able to put your seat up, hide all that sag in your suspension, not feel ashamed of your lycra/baggies/pads/full-face/fruit-suit/shaved legs and whatever else it is you do that may deviate from what's the best so people didn't make fun of you. I remember the last time I rode up Meuller park and, as I passed him, some guy was telling me how my riding would improve dramatically if I signed up for a spin class, got clipless pedals and raised my seat. I became less ashamed of my inadequacy as his voice faded into the distance behind me and I could focus on having fun again. . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I read a post on the Arizona forum

where a DH visitor guy asked "do I HAVE to pedal to ride National?" When given directions about which trails to go up to hit the best DH parts of that trail system he cried "I'm just so out of shape. If I never had to pedal again that would be just fine with me." Sometimes when I'm grinding up some endless climb I think about his riding philosophy and break out laughing. My riding buddies will say "what?" and I'll just shake my head, keep laughing and grinding uphill.

BTW, my favorite way to do Porc is to start at the River Road (128) ride the trail to the overlook into Castle Valley, turn around then bomb back down. 22 miles of different flavors of goodness. Try it.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Isn't that unbelievable? I see that on the Shore all the time: young guys pushing their Demo7s/Norco Shores/RMXs up the access road to Mount Fromme (which is a solid middle ring climb on a big bike). It's a sad state of affairs when people don't like pedalling their bicycles.

I guess I came from a different riding culture, when a ride left from my front door, involved a bunch of gut-wrenching climbs, some technical descending and then a long road slog home. A ride was a ride. Now some kid's idea of a ride is his folks dropping him and his 8" travel sled at the top of the local whatever. It's pretty sad.

Long live the long ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The two signs on Sovereign

Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    There are now two places on Sovereign where a DH bike wouldn't totally be overkill. Both are part of the new Salt Wash Trail. The first section drops you over the edge of the mesa into the Slickrock Playground, just before you would have normally started the long, straight descent that eventually intersects the ATV track at the bottom, near the gully.

The second section drops you off the other side of the mesa. Pedaling out towards the Playground, you see it marked as "Extreme Difficulty", and "Downhill Only Recommended". That descent has a pretty high pucker factor, in that is very steep, very loose, and has a couple of incredibly tight switchbacks with exposure. Death exposure if you bar dove over them. A 64 or 65 degree head angle through that section wouldn't be too unwelcome. Lots of travel isn't a priority in either section, just the relaxed angles.

Otherwise, you're right. Squish on Sovereign feels good, but isn't strictly necessary.

Cheers.
    I didn't ride the one going down to the giant slickrock area but I rode UP the other one. Actually pushed my bike up a lot of it, no way to ride a bike completely up to the top...and I wouldn't even attempt to ride most of it down!
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:10 AM.