Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    l i v i n'

Police Check Points on the way to Moab?

So I got an email from a few friends that they were randomly selected for a police checkpoint search on the way to Moab last week. They were not speeding and were pulled over and randomly searched as part of a checkpoint. Sure enough they are from Colorado and had a cooler of cold beer, the police officer wrote them a ticket for bootlegging.

I guess this thread is heads up and if anyone else has had this happen. This is total BS and I almost don't want to cross the boarder anymore and say F the state and their BS laws. FLAME ON
    l i v i n'

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It was spring break last weekend. They do it every year. And please do f our state and dont cross the border, there is enough people in Moab.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wow, numchuks, way to step it up with the first post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That sucks man, sorry to hear it. Fortunately for us, our spring break (USU) was the week before everyone else's, so we had Moab all to ourselves ...even if it was a little cold

l i v i n'

Wow another great thing about utah ...

Are you serious don't cross the boarder? Moab does not exist without tourism revenue! Jeeps, atv's , hikers, mtb's, road bikes etc.
    How in the hell is a cooler of beer for consumption considered "boot legging"?
    I traveling to Moab and spending my money investing in a community that would not exist without tourism, there is not enough local population to support the hotels, bike shops, auto parts stores, etc.
    l i v i n'

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by COburns
    Are you serious don't cross the boarder? Moab does not exist without tourism revenue! Jeeps, atv's , hikers, mtb's, road bikes etc.
    I traveling to Moab and spending my money investing in a community that would not exist without tourism, there is not enough local population to support the hotels, bike shops, auto parts stores, etc.
    The anti bootlegging sucks. As far as staying out of the state, I'm all for it. I doubt the beauty of Moab will be hurt by the lack of "Jeeps, atv's , hikers, mtb's, road bikes etc", it might actually make it a nice place to be.

St George is the 2nd fastest growing city in the US. Wow, what a thing to aspire to.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

l i v i n'
    Moab had an uncontianed nuclear waste site, I don't think a little tourism traffic no matter what kind is going to make it any worse.
    l i v i n'

banned
    When was Prohibition repealed?

l i v i n'
    Only in the great state of utah...
    l i v i n'

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    When was Prohibition repealed?
    In Utah you are not allowed to have possession of any alcohol that has not been purchased in the State of Utah.

Years ago I went through a mandatory checkpoint on I15, they had a pile of confiscated booze almost the size of a car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Grow Up DUDE

COburns, when was the last time a you or a friend got a speeding ticket while going 10 miles under the speed limit in some po-dunk mountain town in Colorado just for having out of state plates?....Having lived there I can tell you it happens all the time. Isnt fairplay the out-of-state ticket Capitol of the US?

Cops in all states will give you tickets for breaking the laws....how ever absurd they may be!

Lastly, if you and your buddies truly cared about the economy of Moab you would have purchased your beer when you got there!

GROW UP DUDE!

l i v i n'
    I would love to buy my beer in MOAB, I am a supporter of Frankie D's (paid my membership). The state store is NEVER open to purchase beer.

My major problem with this is that it is not legal to randomly stop drivers and search their vehicle (YOUR 4th amendment).

It would be different if they were speeding, swerving, anything, but to randomly stop someone and go through their personal items. Police officers don't stop by your house and ask you to step outside because it is a random search do they?...
    l i v i n'

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by MomentRider
    COburns, when was the last time a you or a friend got a speeding ticket while going 10 miles under the speed limit in some po-dunk mountain town in Colorado just for having out of state plates?....Having lived there I can tell you it happens all the time. Isnt fairplay the out-of-state ticket Capitol of the US?

Cops in all states will give you tickets for breaking the laws....how ever absurd they may be!

Lastly, if you and your buddies truly cared about the economy of Moab you would have purchased your beer when you got there!

GROW UP DUDE!
    Your post makes no sense.

And if you had some beer worth buying, or a place to get it cold, I wouldn't need to smuggle.

Flame on
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Attention citizens of Utah...

So let me get this straight. The state or local police set up a checkpoint (sting) where they randomly pulled cars over for no reason at all to search them (highly illegal) in hopes of catching bootleggers. If this story is accurate (questionable) and I was a tax paying citizen of Utah, I would be pissed and jamming the phone lines and email in-boxes of local and state officials, elected or not. This is an effective use of tax payer's dollars?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Some one please fill me in here . Next week a bunch of us are driving down from Toronto Canada to Moab . We have heard that most of the beer in Utah is not .... well how do I say this .... well not the best in the way of selection and is not easy to purchase .
    So we were going to bring down a case or two so we could enjoy a beer or two at the end of a ride .
    According to what is being stated here , we will be breaking the law ? !

So I need to know 1) is beer available to buy easily in moab
    2) are there a good brand selection ( Stella , Heineken , good micro brews)
    3) at bars and restaurants you can get good beers ?

thx

and cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by numchuks
    It was spring break last weekend. They do it every year. And please do f our state and dont cross the border, there is enough people in Moab.
    Don't cross the border ha last I checked I paid fed. taxes and UT sure gets to use some of them! When I lived in UT it was funny how many locals drove to WY or CO to buy beer maybe you guys need to rethink laws or maybe the Feds finally need to step in and pull some money since it seems like you want your own rules? Oh and I have been pulled over in Park City with NY plates for going less than 10mph over the limit.

l i v i n'
    The local bars serve beers but you have to purchase a membership like I have at Frankie D's. The state store in the center of town is the only place to buy and it is rarely open and has ZERO selection.
    I hope this helps...
    l i v i n'

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    "Don't cross the border" - like he's coming from Texas or somewhere instead of Denver. You tards are funny.
    Now with more vitriol!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by numchuks
    Now worries. I BYOB, piss alot and leave eventually.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Membership ? How much is that ?
    And what is no selection ? What type of beer is available ?

thanks
    cheers

Sorry for all the question , but i have never been to Utah before , just would like to know what im getting myself into here .

l i v i n'
    spyder, the membership is 5 bucks a person at Frankie's. They only have domestic beers coors, bud, and a few micros. I would say a total on 10 to choose from.
    l i v i n'

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thx for the info COburns
    if your in Moab in the next 2 week first beers on me

cheers

Sir Hurt Locker
    So let me get this straight, I can't bring my own beer to Moab?
    Cheers,

Seb

alien exchange student

Some Clarification

Howdy, I'm staying out of the bootlegging flame war but did want to clarify for spyder. You can buy beer at convenience stores and the grocery store. However, that beer is 3.2% alcohol (or lower). All the main brands are available. If you want stronger beer (the type you are probably more accustomed to) you will have to bring it into the state with you or buy it at the State store in town. It does operate during regular business hours but doesn't really meet most folks "drinking" hours very well. I think the checkpoints are a pretty rare, seasonal phenomena (or a very recent policy change).

Nearly all restaurants serve beer/wine. Some places have some funky rooms where they only serve one item or the other (beer/wine or harder liquors).

Have fun in Moab

mtbr member
    True story. In the 90s I was stationed at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery AL. Like many (most?) states owning and transporting liquor without the appropriate state tax seal is prohibited and Montgomery had some fairly restrictive laws on how much alcohol one could posses at any given time. So anyway, one of the main housing areas for the base is about a mile off base. So for a time the fine upstanding Montgomery PD would have a car sit outside the fence where they could watch the liquor store then radio his buddies to pull over people leaving the base with alcohol and ticketing them. That went on for months. Good times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    In Utah you are not allowed to have possession of any alcohol that has not been purchased in the State of Utah.
    I was fairly sure most if not all states are like that.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Of course you can, just don't get caught. The amount of beer brought into Moab in the springtime probably effects the flow of the Colorado.
    These roadblocks happen around Spring Break, usually south of town, I'm betting its San Juan County cops who are pissed that everyone drives through their podunk cty on the way to Moab, Grand County UT.
    Buying beer in the UT State Liquor sto' doesn't do much for Moab, that money goes right up to Salt Lake to pay for their gigantic, robotic, earthquake proof, booze distribution monoply warehouse.

l i v i n'
    It's appears you can't unless you have two residences, are a foreign visitor, get it from inheritance or foreign diplomat. (I guess you were the Dales PA diplomat)

from http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Olympi.../oly_faqs.html

"MAY I BRING ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES INTO UTAH ?
    No. Under Utah law "alcoholic beverages" include all hard liquor, spirits, wine and beer. Beer and other malt beverage products that exceed 3.2% alcohol by weight or 4.0% by volume are considered "liquor", and beer with an alcohol content of 3.2% or less is defined as "beer".

Utah is a control state, and only the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (DABC) may lawfully have liquor products imported and shipped into Utah. Private individuals may not lawfully import or transport them into the state. Manufacturers and suppliers of these products may only supply them to the DABC. Only the DABC through its state liquor stores, package agencies, licensees and permittees may sell liquor products in Utah. Possession of liquor products not purchased from the DABC is strictly prohibited. Also, licensed restaurants and private clubs cannot allow patrons to bring wines onto the premises if they were not purchased in Utah. Other Utah laws prohibit the unlawful importation of beer products into Utah.

There are very few exceptions to these laws. A person coming from a foreign country who clears U.S. customs in Utah may possess, for personal consumption, two liter bottles of liquor purchased outside of Utah. Also, a person who moves his permanent residence to Utah or maintains separate residences both in and out of Utah, may possess for personal consumption, and not for sale or resale, liquor purchased outside of Utah. However, the person must first obtain DABC approval prior to moving to Utah; and upon the arrival of the product, the DABC will affix the Utah label to the liquor for an administrative handling fee. A person may not obtain approval from the DABC under this exception more than once. A person may possess for personal consumption, and not for sale or resale, liquor inherited as part of an estate that is located outside the state and brought it into Utah, after obtaining the approval from the DABC and paying the required administrative handling fee.

Finally, accredited foreign diplomatic missions that establish a mission presence in Utah may ship, possess and purchase alcoholic beverages under certain exceptions granted under the Vienna Conventions on Diplomatic and Consular Relations. For more information, click here.

Unless one of these exceptions applies, it is clear you may not bring alcoholic beverages into Utah for any purpose whether it be for personal consumption, to serve at your hospitality house or at a private social function, or to give or sell to others."

Sir Hurt Locker
    I'm coming from Canada so I guess I'm okay
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It is illegal to search your car without a search warrant or consent of the owner. The police officer will ask if he may have consent to search your car and you may say no. There is nothing illegal or wrong about this. The issue is some of these police officers are manipulative and think you may have something to hide. It can create/open a can of worms where the officer has to claim "I smelled marijuana" and if a judge is available by telephone they can order a search warrant. This is how these small and odd communities work, it may also take some time to do it. But this all is a worse case scenario...

If it were me I would make sure/carry no drugs, if you have alcohol and everything else is in check then nothing wrong with refusing. If it comes down to a search warrant, let them search the car while waiting and so be it if they write you an alcohol ticket. What is sad is this thread will now have over 1000 visitors so it simply echos the worst aspects of Utah from a tourism point of view. Our backwards legislators simply don't understand the role and history of alcohol in the country, and that this fight was already fought and lost. Any American can tell you who takes his drink shaken but not stirred but less than 10% of us could tell you who the Canadian Prime Minister is.

It is quite sad. The worst and final part is that alcohol really is not hard to get and the beer is *not* bad, just about 20% weaker (takes 6 instead of 5, and leaves you in tact for a ride the next day). It literally causes millions upon millions of dollars of lost revenue for the state's tourist industry, which is one of the larger segments in the local economy.

Cheers,
    Andre

mtbr member
    Except for the being Canadian-part

I haven't been to Moab yet, so I can't comment on availability. But as a recent relo to the state, I thought I'd add my two cents on the liquor thing. The laws are odd and restrictive, but I gladly accept them to be able to enjoy such a beautiful state. IMO the local beer is actually pretty good (Wasatch, Unita, Moab, etc.) but the low alcohol content prevents it from being taken seriously, shame really.

And as for being upset that the police are catching bootleggers... what else are they going to do? Not much happens here. They arrested some old woman in Provo for not having a nice lawn... that's the level of crime we deal with here and I'm happy with that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    [QUOTE=MomentRider]COburns, when was the last time a you or a friend got a speeding ticket while going 10 miles under the speed limit in some po-dunk mountain town in Colorado just for having out of state plates?....Having lived there I can tell you it happens all the time. Isnt fairplay the out-of-state ticket Capitol of the US?

TRUE THAT

Yeah, but it's HOT! YUCK

l i v i n'
    See what happens when you ban booze...WAL- MART comes to town! If you would have just let me bring my booze this would have never happened!
    l i v i n'

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

State Store

OK. The Moab State Liquor Store is just off of Main on 200 South, just west of Main, next to the Walker Drug/Hardware store. It is open 11-7, Monday through Saturday.

There is a pretty good selection of good beer there, BUT, non-3.2 beer must be purchased one bottle/can at a time. I actually like being able to build a six pack of a variety of beers, but it does get pricey. Microbrews are anywhere from $1.50-$3.00 per 12oz bottle. Once in a while they will have specials. They have a few bombers, too.

Hard liquor and wine are also available there. Again, a little more expensive than you are used to, and less selection.

Everything is WARM.

Other than that, you can get 3.2 beer at gas stations and grocery stores. They just passed a law that no wine coolers can be bought anywhere but the liquor store, but it doesn't go into effect until October, so your 3.2 Mike's 'Hard' Pop is available until then.

Welcome to Utah.

Outcast
    Oh what a state. I can't bring my booze over the state line, but while I'm there, I can feel free to marry eleven or twelve 14 year old girls, all in the same day.

Homer's problem child
    Here is a helpful tip I was told about bringing booze through UT. It is only illegal if UT is your destination. So if you are just drving through UT from CO to Nevada or CO to AZ the cops can't bust you for bootlegging. So if you get pulled over, just tell them UT is not your destination, you are just passing through on your way to CA, AZ, etc.......

As far as I kow this is how it works.

Yes, UT is full on whacko when it comes to booze laws. A new law was just passed banning the sale of wine coolers and other drinks like that from grocery stores where 3.2 beer is sold and where 3.2 wine coolers and other drinks like that have always been sold. They claim this is to keep the kids from drinking "alcopops". So now the kids will just drink beer, or if they still want alcopops they will now get the full stregth ones from the state store or just say screw it, if you are going to the state store for alcopops just get me a 2 litre of vodka, it's probably cheaper anyway then $2 per bootle beer and alcopop and they can then mix it with an already cold mixer. When you have non-drinkers making the drinking laws they sure do make stupid laws. Yes, I think the Momo's that make these laws are retards.

B
    Last edited by Bortis Yelltzen; 03-28-2008 at 01:44 PM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What's Canada and why do they need a Primed Minister?

It is a good thing that I hardly drink. I don't mind buying a few while there but 3.2 is a bit too watered down. It is a typical crazyazz small town you're probably going to drive through and knowing dem Utah backwoods peeps, it's gonna get ugly sometimes.

They need a few more progressive politicians. Surely they know what tourists bring to their state. It was almost $5.5 BILLION and that was in 2005. 2006 and 2007 numbers are way higher, I'm sure. That resulted in almost $450 million in local and state tax revenues. Be nice to the tourists, fellas. We know that having three or four wives can get stressful for some but don't take it out on the Turistas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If it matters... I've been to Moab more times than I can remember (probably too much beer most of the time). Anyway, we have ALWAYS taken a cooler full of beer from Fruita to Moab, usually drinking on the way (I don't condone this, besides I wasn't driving ). We have also bought beer and other alcoholic beverages at the State Liquor store, albeit was HOT . We have never been stopped and searched for beer, only for speeding. Oh yeah by the way, don't carry a loaded gun in Utah, a BIG . Make sure you unload the weapon

Jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder56
    Some one please fill me in here . Next week a bunch of us are driving down from Toronto Canada to Moab . We have heard that most of the beer in Utah is not .... well how do I say this .... well not the best in the way of selection and is not easy to purchase .
    So we were going to bring down a case or two so we could enjoy a beer or two at the end of a ride .

thx

and cheers
    You will be breaking the Law.
    1. No
    2. No
    3. No

Utah is the reason for separation of church and state. Especially state and crazy BS church.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    actually that is completely untrue. It is actually
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. yes

It is not as bad as people are making it sound...

Sir Hurt Locker
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    What's Canada and why do they need a Primed Minister?
    Head north, when the beer gets good and strong, that's Canada! Please try not to run over any beavers or crash into the igloos on the side of the highway, I know it's difficult cause they are everywhere but please just try not to hit them. Thanks.

Why do we need a Prime Minister? ... the same reason you guys need George W. Bush
    Cheers,

Seb

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_Tires
    Why do we need a Prime Minister? ... the same reason you guys need George W. Bush
    Well put.

If the main reason you are coming to Utah is drink then you may have a problem. If you are coming to ride then shut your gin hole and ride. You are not going to be able to change the laws complaining in a mountain bike forum.
    I think it's hilarious that you guys know every liquor law on the books but still stoop to the "multiple wives joke" like everybody has a couple. Who in their right mind would want two or more wives? One would never be able to ride.

Sir Hurt Locker
    LMAO!! Who goes to Utah to drink? That's funny ... i hope ...
    Cheers,

Seb

banned
    Feb 2008
    Utah. heh...what a joke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

anyone ever get a bootlegging ticket at SLC airport?

I am flying in to SLC for a week long work detail. I am flying to Phoenix before I head back here to CA, so my story would be that I was bringing alcohol for my final destination in Phoenix (arriving 5 days after I arrive in UTAH)

So, I am not sweating it, (i lived in UT 20 yrs. ago and learned to ignore the inane stuff), but this thread is making me wonder....

ARE THERE ANY URBAN MYTHS OUT THERE OF PEOPLE GETTING BOOTLEGGING TICKETS AT SLC AIRPORT?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How come no one seems to care about the idea that you don't have to let the police search your car? The highway patrol are sometimes artists at getting people to give up their rights. If you bring all the beer and liquor into the state you want, and get pulled over, you don't have to invite them to write you a ticket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    actually that is completely untrue. It is actually
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. yes

It is not as bad as people are making it sound...

In Park City (got to love what money and fame will get done) maybe even some of SLC it's not as bad as people make it sound but the rest of the state still is as bad.

banned
    I never hear anything good about Utah.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am in Moab several times a year and never find that my embibing is shortened, personally. Really I have no complaints about the place. It is 3.2 beer (4.0 by volume, about 20% weaker, that's all) but the beer tastes good, there is a state liquor store, you want to drink as much water as possible anyway, and there are still massive beer caves like anywhere else... Honestly, I have no complaints at all. My only complaints are how bizarre and frankly annoying the rules are, they do more to discredit the place (and the Mormon religion) than anything else. It is quite sad, it really alienates Mormons from the rest of the country and makes our state seem really odd. Which frankly is OK, the growth here already is almost too severe. But you should have heard my friends recommendations when I told them I was planning to move to Utah. I think the liquor laws do about 10 times more damage than "polygamy" personally, or the bizarre liquor laws trigger such an error that it makes people think of polygamy and all the other bizarre things in the history of the state. They jump to conclusions... Just my $.02 on it...

Bike Snob
    I never hear anything good about Utah.
    Really? Nothing? Ever?

I guess I am not doing my job very well.

Sincerely,
    The Utah Department of Travel and Tourism

mtbr member
    I recently moved to Moab and have found it fairly easy to get drunk here.
    Last edited by crager34; 03-31-2008 at 08:12 AM.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

Homer's problem child
    I've lived in UT (SLC) about 3 years now after spending the first 27 years of my life in CO, and while I find there are things about UT that annoy me as I posted earlier in this thread for me it is not a deal breaker. The good definitely out-weighs the bad. And oddly the things that annoy me are the same things that keep UT from being just like CO and the other "mountain" states. UT being less crowded, closer to the outdoors, having better skiing and being a more affordable place to live is why I moved to UT. Access to beer and booze was pretty low on my priority list. And the reality is I don't have any problems finding a beer or drink when I want one, it might not be the exact beer or drink I want but I can have one.

So while the booze laws are strange for me it is not something that is going to ruin my time here. And for those of you that don't know or deal with many LDS people (they prefer to be called LDS, calling them "Mormons" is derrogatory) on a daily basis they are not as crazy as myself and others may make them out to be. They have their quirks and as with any religion they have their hardcores that give them their national stereotype and that is what I tend to make fun of, but more often than not they are good people. The whole "multiple wives" argument is stupid, and spending any time in UT should pretty well squash that stereotype, unless your time is spent in Hilldale and the other city on the AZ border. That is where 95%+ of that crap takes place and has nothing to do with the mainstream LDS church.

Feel free to continue to make fun of the LDS's lack of understanding and poor logic on booze though.

B

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    I think it's hilarious that you guys know every liquor law on the books but still stoop to the "multiple wives joke" like everybody has a couple.
    So, you live in Utah and don't have multiple wives? Wow...isn't there an ordinance against that?
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Bortis speaks with fork-tongue.....It's a great place to ride but you don't want to live here.

There's no indoor plumbing in Utah.
    The LDS missionarys swarm your house like locust 24 / 7, and that's a good thing because they keep the bears, cougars, badgers and rattlesnakes away from your $500,000, dirt floor, log cabin.
    The only alcohol in utah is in the hospitals, where they pour it into your open wounds.
    If you want food you have to grow it yourself.
    And the wifes, oh my aching head, the wifes!
    Last edited by Shelbak73; 03-29-2008 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    This thread is comedy gold.

I am looking at a sixer of Red Label and Moosehead in my fridge...drooling...wanting...but must work in an hour.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

I railed it like Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Muff
    Oh yeah by the way, don't carry a loaded gun in Utah, a BIG . Make sure you unload the weapon
    Why? Is this for out of staters only? I thought UT had some of the leaner gun laws than other states.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I got pulled over a few years ago on 128 north of Moab for having a headlight out.....in the middle of the day (daytime running lights).
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I moved from Europe to Utah about 16 years ago, and found it to be a big adjusment. Sure, the alcohol wasn't as potent, but the women are just as beautiful. There are a lot of misconceptions about Utah. Don't worry about the rules so much, concentrate about not getting caught.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I dunno... maybe out of towners do get targeted. Maybe the USP see an out of state plate... easy target, etc., etc. I'm just sayin', no offense to anyone.

over researcher
    I dunno... maybe out of towners do get targeted. Maybe the USP see an out of state plate... easy target, etc., etc. I'm just sayin', no offense to anyone.
    Utah is no different than any other state in that regard. I'm pretty sure I learned in Economics 101 that it strenghens the state economy. Instead of using in state money to pay fines, tickets, etc., it brings in money from out of state.

On a good note...

I went to Snow College in Ephraim from 1/94 to 6/95. Memorial weekend of '94 we went to Bullfrog Marina at Lake Powell. I was driving my friend's car, but my California driver's license was suspended, though it was still in my possession. At the time, I needed an SR-22 in order to have my license, and I didn't have a car with me at school, so there was no reason to pay for insurance just to be able to drive. Anyway, we were rolling South right around Price. Of course I was speeding, and coming my way from around a corner was a LEO. I forgot if it was a Grand County sheriff, or if it was UHP. He spun around and pulled me over. I handed him my license and friend's registration to his car. LEO went to his car and I thought for sure he was going to call in my license, in which case I figured I was going to get arrested. Well, all he gave me was a speeding ticket. Blew me away.

banned
    So on what grounds are they pulling cars over to search?

over researcher
    So on what grounds are they pulling cars over to search?
    They don't need grounds to pull someone over. They can ask to search your car too. However, it's up to the driver to know his rights, and not buckle under the LEO's pressuring. If you let him in, you can bet he'll take a peak. If you say No, you'll just make him mad, but he'll be mad OUTSIDE your car.

on my 3rd wind...
    Each year I ride more & more in FU/GJ CO and less & less in Moab UT. That first time "WOW" factor seeing Moab trails is pretty much all but gone. Fruita is closer (to me anywho), better riding (most will agree), more insanely fun singletrack trails (true that), easier access (yup), and etc. Though camping isn't quite up to par as Moab, as a result of being located in CO, most importantly you don't have to put up with some of the Utah complaints mentioned in this thread.

My avatar is one of many world famous FU singletrack.
    Last edited by SingleTrackHound; 03-30-2008 at 07:22 AM.
    sth

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    O.K., O.K., whatever you say....

over researcher
    O.K., O.K., whatever you say....
    I wish people would quote somebody when they are responding to something that person said. I had to quickly switch to Threaded view so I could see you were responding to me. I'm not sure what you mean by your comment. Could you explain in greater detail so that even a dumb electrician such as myself could understand?

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    ...a dumb electrician such as myself could understand?
    Huh? How can electrician be dumb? Especially when one has to keep up with ever changing NEC and OSHA code...and troubleshoot PLC and spaghetti wires in J-box.
    sth

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound
    Huh? How can electrician be dumb? Especially when one has to keep up with ever changing NEC and OSHA code...and troubleshoot PLC and spaghetti wires in J-box.
    Thanks for the boost. Seriously though, I've seen some work from electricians where the only explanation was that they were dumb, or didn't care if the work was done wrong. Luckily, I'm able to figure out their mess.

I wasn't sure what Muff meant by his/her comment. So I thought I'd be a smart alek and try to get a further explanation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Jeez, why are you taking this so personally? I don't think I ever mentioned one's livelihood in this. I'm just addin' my $0.02 worth. I didn't think it was such a big deal! No need to get nasty.... I didn't know the correct ettiquette was to always add the quote. If you noticed, the thread does follow your thread. Anyway, I'm not sure what you want as an explanation. I don't want to turn this into a big gun issue, state law vs. state law thing. It was a comment, sir, nothing more nothing less.

over researcher
    Muff - Nobody's getting nasty. At least not me. I'm not trying to argue. I just wondered what you meant by your comment. "O.K., O.K., whatever you say....". I said quite a bit in my post. Some was serious [Utah is no different than any other state in that regard], some was not serious [I'm pretty sure I learned in Economics 101 that it strenghens the state economy. Instead of using in state money to pay fines, tickets, etc., it brings in money from out of state]. I even went on a small tangent about getting pulled over and thankfully not spending my Memorial weekend in the pokey. I just wasn't sure what part of my post your "O.K., O.K., whatever you say...." comment was directed towards.

Regarding the quote thing. I'm a Linear Mode kind of guy. I highly doubt there is an "etiquette" on web forums, but in Linear Mode, you're response to my comment comes four posts after my comment. Soooo, those who are Linear Mode folks, wouldn't know who you're response was to, without that quote.
    Last edited by royta; 03-30-2008 at 12:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Muff - Nobody's getting nasty. At least not me. I'm not trying to argue. I just wondered what you meant by your comment. "O.K., O.K., whatever you say....". I said quite a bit in my post. Some was serious [Utah is no different than any other state in that regard], some was not serious [I'm pretty sure I learned in Economics 101 that it strenghens the state economy. Instead of using in state money to pay fines, tickets, etc., it brings in money from out of state]. I even went on a small tangent about getting pulled over and thankfully not spending my Memorial weekend in the pokey. I just wasn't sure what part of my post your "O.K., O.K., whatever you say...." comment was directed towards.

Regarding the quote thing. I'm a Linear Mode kind of guy. I highly doubt there is an "etiquette" on web forums, but in Linear Mode, you're response to my comment comes four posts after my comment. Soooo, those who are Linear Mode folks, wouldn't know who you're response was to, without that quote.
    When I was stopped in Utah, I told the trooper I had a loaded gun in the car (to prevent any trouble or miscommunication). He threatened to take me to jail . After about 30 minutes of questioning, he finally checked my background and found that I was not a "threat" to the state . He let me drive on, but continued to follow me for another ten miles

The quote thing-
    Hmmmmmmmm.... just kidding!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound
    Each year I ride more & more in FU/GJ CO and less & less in Moab UT. That first time "WOW" factor seeing Moab trails is pretty much all but gone. Fruita is closer (to me anywho), better riding (most will agree), more insanely fun singletrack trails (true that), easier access (yup), and etc. Though camping isn't quite up to par as Moab, as a result of being located in CO, most importantly you don't have to put up with some of the Utah complaints mentioned in this thread.

My avatar is one of many world famous FU singletrack.
    Agreed. I used to make 1-2 trips to Moab every year but haven't been back since I spent some time in Fruita/GJ a few years back. I see no reason to drive the extra 100 miles to ride lesser trails, and would rather spend my $$ in CO anyhow.

the train keeps rollin
    This thread is worthless without pictures.

Waiting for you in Utah. Consider yourself cuffed and stuffed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Bring whatever and enjoy

I've been going to Moab for 10 years from Colorado and never seen this. As someone else mentioned I'm sure it was related to spring break (even though that's F'ed up!). Just bring what you want and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by spyder56

thx

and cheers
    Randy Charrette
    Instagram
    Facebook
    Flickr

mtbr member
    Moab had an uncontianed nuclear waste site, I don't think a little tourism traffic no matter what kind is going to make it any worse.
    Do you know what your talking about, or....????

over researcher

mtbr member

Maybe this will help.

http://www.moabhappenings.com/liquorlaw.htm

Head to the Moab Brewery and sit in the bar, full menu and beer only. Eat in the resturant and you get mixed drinks as well. McStiff's - Don't want to eat, then sit in the Beer Garden, otherwise you have to eat to drink alcahol (order chips & salsa for .69 cents and start throwing them down. Smoker? Woody's, Rio, Frankie D's and buy a 3 day membership and drink till your

Want to drink in your hotel room? Head to the state liquor store and buy all the things your used to. Liquor store closed and don't want to head to a resturant or pay a membership? Head to City Market and buy 3.2% beer and other malt beverages.

DONE!

It's that easy.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by crager34
    Do you know what your talking about, or....????
    Here's some more good ones.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...-1m20pile.html

http://www.house.gov/matheson/info_tailings.shtml

mtbr member
    The Moab Brewery is quite good. Good food and good beer. I was shocked. However, I'll be the first to outrightly admit that sometimes I do want a slight buzz when I drink. There is nothing wrong with that. I don't like getting drunk, but in Michigan, it's not hard unless you're drinking Bud Light (blech!). Doesn't mean it WILL happen! I'd much rather have two of my own beers (5 or 6%, some are 10%) than five or six 3.2 beers. In the end, there are fewer calories, and a slight buzz will *not* ruin a day of mountain biking.

Our society is so stuck on numbers that they insist no one can handle their alcohol. Just because someone had .08% BAC (CO has .1) during their accident doesn't mean that was the cause, but our society is hung up on scapegoating, so it will go down as a "caused-by-alcohol" accident. When you have over-regulation like you do in Utah, or in states that spend way too many resources on underage drinking, then people start thinking it's something super special and they want to use it in excess, and they don't learn early on how to use it responsibly. It's like anything else.

Unfortunately, there are way too many laws out there based on what someone else thinks you should be doing rather than what really protects society.

Bored Carp
    Utah is a horrible horrible place. I haven't been able to get puking drunk in 2 years.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

the train keeps rollin
    What does this have to do with roadside searches, and near bear?
    beaver hunt

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    What does this have to do with roadside searches, and near bear?
    It doesn't. It was just a resonse to a response to a response to a response....

Here's something that does though. People, know your rights. If a cop asks you if he can take a peek in the cooler he plainly sees in the back of your truck. Just say No. This plan should work better if you're not stoned or buzzed while driving though. If a cop tells me he smells marijuana, I'd laugh at him and tell him he's well over 10 years too late. That's the scary thing though. What do you do when a cop says he smells something (in order to make up probable cause to get into your vehicle), but you havn't been around that substance in over 10 years?

mtbr member
    The beer at the resturants and the State Liquor Store are the normal 5-6% and the beer and malt beveraged at the grocery stores and gas stations are 3.2%.

Homer's problem child
    I stand corrected, guess I had better reevaluate my situation and edit my previous posts. UT does in fact suck. Just go to Fruita and avoid it all together.

B

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crager34
    The beer at the resturants and the State Liquor Store are the normal 5-6% and the beer and malt beveraged at the grocery stores and gas stations are 3.2%.
    Not entirely accurate. Draft beer at restaurants is always 3.2% (in Utah, there is NO draft beer stronge than this, including private clubs). Some restaurants do serve adult strength beer in bottles though.

Out of all the asinine liquor laws in Utah, the draft beer one pisses me off the most. No Sierra Nevada on tap, no Sunshine Wheat, no Anchor Steam, no Fat Tire, no Rd Hook .

Oh, and by the way, as a resident of Utah, I am pissed off about the roadblocks. Seems to be a slight violation of the Constitution (I seem to remember a little provision in there about unlawful searches and seizures). I think the cops have bigger fish to fry than jacking around visitors who are coming to Utah under their own free will, and will most likely be spending a little money while behind the Zion curtain. Tax revenue is kind of a cool thing.
    "If I stop drinking all at once I am afraid the cumulative hangover would kill me."

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshP
    Out of all the asinine liquor laws in Utah, the draft beer one pisses me off the most. No Sierra Nevada on tap, no Sunshine Wheat, no Anchor Steam, no Fat Tire, no Rd Hook .
    No Fat Tire That's just wrong!
    beaver hunt

over researcher
    Oh, and by the way, as a resident of Utah, I am pissed off about the roadblocks. Seems to be a slight violation of the Constitution (I seem to remember a little provision in there about unlawful searches and seizures).
    It is not illegal for a LEO to ask you to look in your vehicle. If they ask and you agree, than that's your problem. LEO's have been doing roadblocks forever. I'm sure we've all heard on the news about roadblocks during major holidays looking for drunk drivers.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biopace
    Agreed. I used to make 1-2 trips to Moab every year but haven't been back since I spent some time in Fruita/GJ a few years back. I see no reason to drive the extra 100 miles to ride lesser trails, and would rather spend my $$ in CO anyhow.
    Finally, some of you guys are starting to get the idea! Tell your friends. Perhaps the state of CO should invest in some billboards to enlighten others on the shortcomings of UT (NV, ID, WY, and AZ can join in too, oops almost forgot NM sorry.)
    How bout something like: "Colorado, we're just better."
    And Bortis, what is this crazy talk about it "not being so bad in UT"......that's just sheer lunacy.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    These "I Can't Buy Beer in Utah" complaint threads are so retarded. Sorry to offend, but of all the things to get all busted up about...

Go to Texas. Go to South Dakota. Go to Arkansas. Go to just about any state that isn't on the coasts, really. Drive out into a small podunk town like Moab. If you are lucky enough to NOT be in a dry county, or in a county that doesn't sell beer on Sunday, have fun with the completely excellent beer selection that likely consists of Budweiser and Coors.

You will be wishing for a Dead Horse, Squatters IPA or Cutthroat like you had in Moab.

And while you're at it, don't let the State Troopers search your car. For that, I sympathize with the OP. That really sucks.

JMH
    Last edited by JMH; 04-01-2008 at 01:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Not entirely accurate.....
    Thanks.... I stand corrected.

mtbr member
    If you dont like Utah...dont come here. Simple. We dont want you if you dont want to be here either. Getting drunk is your right but surely you are important enough and have better things to do than complain about being able to get drunk. Most of you will find a way to make it happen I am sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    If you dont like Utah...dont come here. Simple. We dont want you if you dont want to be here either. Getting drunk is your right but surely you are important enough and have better things to do than complain about being able to get drunk. Most of you will find a way to make it happen I am sure.
    Love these posts... ok.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Talentless Hack
    Yeah, Utah sucks. You don't want to come here, it's terrible. 3.2 beer and multiple wives makes it a hell on earth. If you're not careful the Cult of Mormo will kidnap you and force you into slave labor in the Uranium mines. I barely escaped. Be afraid, be very afraid while in Moab.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    If I am elected Moderator, I will lock this thread. This promise I make to you, the voting public.

JMH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RicS
    How come no one seems to care about the idea that you don't have to let the police search your car?

Public education. They've been indoctrinated. The FF's weep.

PS: Texas and Utah have reciprocity for each others concealed handguns licenses. I imagine
    Utah has the same with most other states, so the gun thing is not big deal.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    If I am elected Moderator, I will lock this thread. This promise I make to you, the voting public.

JMH
    Just wondering why? Spotters (had it happen) and check points are a legit concern to those of us who don't live in Utah but occasionally travel there. Perhaps to some of you it's not a concern, but to others it's a valid thread.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Just wondering why? Spotters (had it happen) and check points are a legit concern to those of us who don't live in Utah but occasionally travel there. Perhaps to some of you it's not a concern, but to others it's a valid thread.
    I agree the thread is valid. I didn't say delete it, I said lock it. Nobody (including me ) is contributing any new info...

Allow me to sum up:

1. Good Beer is available in Moab
    2. Good Beer is NOT available in Moab
    3. Sometimes the HP run spot checks
    4. Don't let them into your car

Did I miss anything?

JMH

mtbr member

FACT> A cop...

It doesn't. It was just a resonse to a response to a response to a response....

Here's something that does though. People, know your rights. If a cop asks you if he can take a peek in the cooler he plainly sees in the back of your truck. Just say No. This plan should work better if you're not stoned or buzzed while driving though. If a cop tells me he smells marijuana, I'd laugh at him and tell him he's well over 10 years too late. That's the scary thing though. What do you do when a cop says he smells something (in order to make up probable cause to get into your vehicle), but you havn't been around that substance in over 10 years?
    a cop that says he smells marijuana in your vehicle does NOT constitute probable cause in any state. However, they may elect to call a K-9 unit and should the K-9 be alerted, THAT is probable cause. Recently a guy got pulled over in Silverthorne Co, had 40 lbs in the car; cop says "can I search your vehicle" he says "no"; cop pulls him out of the car and searches WITHOUT probable cause or warrant or K-9; got tossed out. Bad cop, no donut!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    JMH for President!!!

I mean Moderator

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by breckseth
    a cop that says he smells marijuana in your vehicle does NOT constitute probable cause in any state. However, they may elect to call a K-9 unit and should the K-9 be alerted, THAT is probable cause. Recently a guy got pulled over in Silverthorne Co, had 40 lbs in the car; cop says "can I search your vehicle" he says "no"; cop pulls him out of the car and searches WITHOUT probable cause or warrant or K-9; got tossed out. Bad cop, no donut!
    I asked my son in law (Logan City PD) about searches a couple of weeks ago. He said they can search your car if they smell pot or alcohol on your breath. Whether or not it gets tossed in court is another topic.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Did I miss anything?
    JMH
    Yeah, Utah sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0