Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    l i v i n'

Police Check Points on the way to Moab?

So I got an email from a few friends that they were randomly selected for a police checkpoint search on the way to Moab last week. They were not speeding and were pulled over and randomly searched as part of a checkpoint. Sure enough they are from Colorado and had a cooler of cold beer, the police officer wrote them a ticket for bootlegging.

I guess this thread is heads up and if anyone else has had this happen. This is total BS and I almost don't want to cross the boarder anymore and say F the state and their BS laws. FLAME ON
    l i v i n'

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It was spring break last weekend. They do it every year. And please do f our state and dont cross the border, there is enough people in Moab.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wow, numchuks, way to step it up with the first post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That sucks man, sorry to hear it. Fortunately for us, our spring break (USU) was the week before everyone else's, so we had Moab all to ourselves ...even if it was a little cold

l i v i n'

Wow another great thing about utah ...

Are you serious don't cross the boarder? Moab does not exist without tourism revenue! Jeeps, atv's , hikers, mtb's, road bikes etc.
    How in the hell is a cooler of beer for consumption considered "boot legging"?
    I traveling to Moab and spending my money investing in a community that would not exist without tourism, there is not enough local population to support the hotels, bike shops, auto parts stores, etc.
    l i v i n'

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by COburns
    Are you serious don't cross the boarder? Moab does not exist without tourism revenue! Jeeps, atv's , hikers, mtb's, road bikes etc.
    I traveling to Moab and spending my money investing in a community that would not exist without tourism, there is not enough local population to support the hotels, bike shops, auto parts stores, etc.
    The anti bootlegging sucks. As far as staying out of the state, I'm all for it. I doubt the beauty of Moab will be hurt by the lack of "Jeeps, atv's , hikers, mtb's, road bikes etc", it might actually make it a nice place to be.

St George is the 2nd fastest growing city in the US. Wow, what a thing to aspire to.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

l i v i n'
    Moab had an uncontianed nuclear waste site, I don't think a little tourism traffic no matter what kind is going to make it any worse.
    l i v i n'

banned
    When was Prohibition repealed?

l i v i n'
    Only in the great state of utah...
    l i v i n'

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    When was Prohibition repealed?
    In Utah you are not allowed to have possession of any alcohol that has not been purchased in the State of Utah.

Years ago I went through a mandatory checkpoint on I15, they had a pile of confiscated booze almost the size of a car.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Grow Up DUDE

COburns, when was the last time a you or a friend got a speeding ticket while going 10 miles under the speed limit in some po-dunk mountain town in Colorado just for having out of state plates?....Having lived there I can tell you it happens all the time. Isnt fairplay the out-of-state ticket Capitol of the US?

Cops in all states will give you tickets for breaking the laws....how ever absurd they may be!

Lastly, if you and your buddies truly cared about the economy of Moab you would have purchased your beer when you got there!

GROW UP DUDE!

l i v i n'
    I would love to buy my beer in MOAB, I am a supporter of Frankie D's (paid my membership). The state store is NEVER open to purchase beer.

My major problem with this is that it is not legal to randomly stop drivers and search their vehicle (YOUR 4th amendment).

It would be different if they were speeding, swerving, anything, but to randomly stop someone and go through their personal items. Police officers don't stop by your house and ask you to step outside because it is a random search do they?...
    l i v i n'

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by MomentRider
    COburns, when was the last time a you or a friend got a speeding ticket while going 10 miles under the speed limit in some po-dunk mountain town in Colorado just for having out of state plates?....Having lived there I can tell you it happens all the time. Isnt fairplay the out-of-state ticket Capitol of the US?

Cops in all states will give you tickets for breaking the laws....how ever absurd they may be!

Lastly, if you and your buddies truly cared about the economy of Moab you would have purchased your beer when you got there!

GROW UP DUDE!
    Your post makes no sense.

And if you had some beer worth buying, or a place to get it cold, I wouldn't need to smuggle.

Flame on
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Attention citizens of Utah...

So let me get this straight. The state or local police set up a checkpoint (sting) where they randomly pulled cars over for no reason at all to search them (highly illegal) in hopes of catching bootleggers. If this story is accurate (questionable) and I was a tax paying citizen of Utah, I would be pissed and jamming the phone lines and email in-boxes of local and state officials, elected or not. This is an effective use of tax payer's dollars?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Some one please fill me in here . Next week a bunch of us are driving down from Toronto Canada to Moab . We have heard that most of the beer in Utah is not .... well how do I say this .... well not the best in the way of selection and is not easy to purchase .
    So we were going to bring down a case or two so we could enjoy a beer or two at the end of a ride .
    According to what is being stated here , we will be breaking the law ? !

So I need to know 1) is beer available to buy easily in moab
    2) are there a good brand selection ( Stella , Heineken , good micro brews)
    3) at bars and restaurants you can get good beers ?

thx

and cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by numchuks
    It was spring break last weekend. They do it every year. And please do f our state and dont cross the border, there is enough people in Moab.
    Don't cross the border ha last I checked I paid fed. taxes and UT sure gets to use some of them! When I lived in UT it was funny how many locals drove to WY or CO to buy beer maybe you guys need to rethink laws or maybe the Feds finally need to step in and pull some money since it seems like you want your own rules? Oh and I have been pulled over in Park City with NY plates for going less than 10mph over the limit.

l i v i n'
    The local bars serve beers but you have to purchase a membership like I have at Frankie D's. The state store in the center of town is the only place to buy and it is rarely open and has ZERO selection.
    I hope this helps...
    l i v i n'

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    "Don't cross the border" - like he's coming from Texas or somewhere instead of Denver. You tards are funny.
    Now with more vitriol!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by numchuks
    Now worries. I BYOB, piss alot and leave eventually.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Membership ? How much is that ?
    And what is no selection ? What type of beer is available ?

thanks
    cheers

Sorry for all the question , but i have never been to Utah before , just would like to know what im getting myself into here .

l i v i n'
    spyder, the membership is 5 bucks a person at Frankie's. They only have domestic beers coors, bud, and a few micros. I would say a total on 10 to choose from.
    l i v i n'

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thx for the info COburns
    if your in Moab in the next 2 week first beers on me

cheers

Sir Hurt Locker
    So let me get this straight, I can't bring my own beer to Moab?
    Cheers,

Seb

alien exchange student

Some Clarification

Howdy, I'm staying out of the bootlegging flame war but did want to clarify for spyder. You can buy beer at convenience stores and the grocery store. However, that beer is 3.2% alcohol (or lower). All the main brands are available. If you want stronger beer (the type you are probably more accustomed to) you will have to bring it into the state with you or buy it at the State store in town. It does operate during regular business hours but doesn't really meet most folks "drinking" hours very well. I think the checkpoints are a pretty rare, seasonal phenomena (or a very recent policy change).

Nearly all restaurants serve beer/wine. Some places have some funky rooms where they only serve one item or the other (beer/wine or harder liquors).

Have fun in Moab

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COburns
    True story. In the 90s I was stationed at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery AL. Like many (most?) states owning and transporting liquor without the appropriate state tax seal is prohibited and Montgomery had some fairly restrictive laws on how much alcohol one could posses at any given time. So anyway, one of the main housing areas for the base is about a mile off base. So for a time the fine upstanding Montgomery PD would have a car sit outside the fence where they could watch the liquor store then radio his buddies to pull over people leaving the base with alcohol and ticketing them. That went on for months. Good times.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast