rpalmer
    Aug 2008

Pipe Dream for a good Warmup?

I'm leaving Salt Lake City for a five day trip to Colorado tomorrow night, and for the first night I will be camping in Moab before heading into Durango. I am thinking about a quick "warmup" ride in Moab and was thinking about Pipe Dream because I haven't done it before. It doesn't seem like that would be too tough of a ride but I was reading the writeup on utahmountainbiking.com and he says its "not easy". I'm not looking for easy, but I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. Would it take much more than an hour to ride? I'm going to hit it around 7:00 AM, so before it is too hot.

mtbr member
    It's a fun ride. They did a great job building the trail. I went to Moab this spring with my son and we did that ride first after the drive down. I'd call it a good warm up. It's all in the sun, so either real early or late in the day is best this time of year.

Paste eater
    It is hot. It zips up and down the canyon wall (Moab Rim side.) It'll be 10 miles out and back W over 1K of climbing. Very well constructed trail and a very good work out. It's somewhat akin to Slickrock in it's steep ups and down. Nothing terribly technical but it's not easy and will certainly keep you one your toes. Not a ride for a novice.

FWIW, I think it rides better and faster S->N if you choose to only ride it one way...

mtbr member
    I agree south to north is the more fun direction. I seem to recall it being about 600 feet of climbing one way in that direction, so 1000 round trip may even slightly understate the climbing.

Paste eater
    It's most certainly over 1K of climbing. I swear that ride give me a the best workout around

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Great info guys, thanks. I'll be there at 7:00 tomorrow morning.

chukarhntr1
    Nov 2007
    Rode part of it during lunch the other day. It is a very good workout. Probably would be a good warmup if you're in good shape. The whole ride for me would be a little more than I could handle during a lunch hour.