Thread: Pink Garage

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Pink Garage

Renegade trails are about overgrown
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Seriously, why not finish the brink or Mormon with no tarmac back to the zoo? (One Exception is the short section of road from alexander over to Burr… but whatever). Hear complaints about no single/double back to SLC from the little/big area but old school network exist.

Secret 80’S stash is overgrown and need to get burned in, I’m the only loser who does this and frankly it isn’t cool anymore to solo maintain.

And no, I’m not talking about the pipeline/utility heart attack goat show.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Alternatively, if you ride all the way up pinecrest to the blue gate, it’s a public right away.
    Jack-butt has a bunch of signage saying, “no trespassing” but the state/county mandated that the gate remain open. Simply ride up the dirt road and hang a left before the incomplete monstrosity of a house.
    You can ride all the way up to the ridge and descend either burr or freeze. Also a short bushwhack would bring you to sweet single track all the way to MT wire or bail left and descend whatever that trail is west of the fire station.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks trail runners and deer. Hold off till spring unless you want arrow jugular drunk local arrows in face.

Moderator Moderator
    What?!?

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Archery only in the area but the hunt is on.
    Not comforting rolling up on empty lawn chairs + pile of bottles on primitive trails or busting out of an overgrown trail into a meadow, face to face with target practice.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Alright, next spring I want in on some of this action.
    I have a clue as to where you are talking about, but could use a map or some solid detail. I will do my part and keep the old school burned in...but too much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    0+2=1
    I'm wrong, no need to burn in, more like cut back. Trails are 1990s hartatack pre bike design trails, not summit county bulldozer van ride BS. More like Brink + big mountain vicinity stuff. SLC ride to trail brutal crap. Funny you don't see a sole.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Flowtown, I'll try to train a pigeon over the winter to send a map. This stuff is pre internet and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Tron that is......(sorry). Turd nuggets in my brain. Corn lumps are cleansing and also float in the toilet.
    Beer can ally to cactus garden is good to go!

Do they clean the sphincter? I don't know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Life on The Brink | BIKE Magazine

Emigration Canyon: Its historical significance, offbeat aura lend the area plenty of flavor | Deseret News

you learn something new everyday

Rode the MP to the Brink or Big mountain Trail like 6 years ago...The section below lookout peak was nasty. Never had the desire to go back. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Spied a bunch of stuff on Google Earth and explored some stuff in the foothills but haven't had the urge really to link it all together. I suggest to wear long pants and shirt If riding these trails scrub oak sucks!

An area that would be epic to get burned in would be from Murdock peak to Elbow fork So you could link the Crest to Pipeline all on singletrack. I've ridden up Lambs and started my way up to Murdock but it was blazing hot and the trail was gnar...Descending from Murdock rather then trying to pedal up may be easier...although there would still prob be some climbing and bushwhacking involved.

Anyways may have to revisit the Big Mountain Trail...Has the trail improved any over the last few years?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Supposedly a "backcountry" trail existed from summit park to lambs. (Not the frontage) I blundered around to no avail. One could then just slog up whatever that (butterfly?) trail is towards mt Aire to elbow.
    Year's ago I stumbled across some jeep forum that had a bunch of old timers reminiscing about all the shutdown local 4x4 spots. Had a bunch of good info but I can't find it for the life of me.

Moderator Moderator
    If someone "adopted" Alexander creek and put in some actual turns, it would be pretty kickass. Would be nice to see SL county give a crap, but they don't. C'est la vie. There's a whole hell of a lot of nice terrain between SLC and PC for bikes.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    If someone "adopted" Alexander creek and put in some actual turns, it would be pretty kickass. Would be nice to see SL county give a crap, but they don't. C'est la vie. There's a whole hell of a lot of nice terrain between SLC and PC for bikes.

-Walt
    Can kind of do that if you head towards little mt pass from top of Alexander and ride game trails in meadow to dog walker made (illegal?) trails that end up in Alexander after the bridge on that quick technical up/down lump. Easier to figure it out if you climb it first vs try to dive in. Fun in early spring before grass and weeds hide it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The window for exploring is not summer when one is board with bulldoze cut bike paths and weeds are high. Does anyone explore anymore or is it all about 1x and whatnot? The trail master plan is a joke and the fading trails need to be abused or they will disappear. Guess the only chance is if a bunch of northern New England riders transplanted and did what they do best. Time to cut some shat, trespass and eat the meconium.

strave map? I can't do it yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The time is now (after storm and some good ski/splitboard powder turns) To dumb a section down, just hall corn hole bun down residential freeze creek Cir. Climb the banked DH run and hit the ridge and explore to above fire station. One can get to the zoo on with some intuition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    The time is now (after storm and some good ski/splitboard powder turns) To dumb a section down, just hall corn hole bun down residential freeze creek Cir. Climb the banked DH run and hit the ridge and explore to above fire station. One can get to the zoo on with some intuition.
    First time logging in here in a while and I find this thread, beautiful! I've ran across the brink dude from that article a few times but been a couple years since I've done that loop. Bountiful to Little Dell is sweet

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Bountiful to Little Dell? More details please.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Pink Garage-imag0611.jpg6
    If you slack, hack.
    Late spring 2015, freeze creak.

mtbr member
    If the goal is to get these burned in, you should add them to traiforks.com post haste.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0611.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	351.5 KB 
ID:	10656196
    If you slack, hack.
    Late spring 2015, freeze creak.
    Maybe fat bikes are good for something?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yes, my fat bike is like riding with imaginary friend.
    Also saves the m9000. Burned in will never happen and that's probably a good thing. It would just be cool if like five people road it once a week to help direct the deer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The blue gate at the top of pinecrest thing sucks. It's public access with a bunch of intimidating sings like cross hair gun sight image and arrow saying "you".

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Dedicated public hiking access to Lookout Peak and public lands at the top of Emigration Canyon is blocked and is in danger of disappearing if nothing is done to preserve it. The loss of this public access is an avoidable community tragedy.

At an altitude of 8,954 feet, Lookout Peak is the highest point in Emigration Canyon. It is the source of Emigration Creek and Killyon Creek, the two largest drainages in Emigration Canyon. Its ridgeline divides Emigration Canyon from City Creek Canyon, and from Mountain Dell Canyon. From its summit, the Wasatch Mountains, the Salt Lake Valley, and the Great Salt Lake are laid out below you. An historic trail climbs to the ridgeline and offers access to City Creek Canyon and the Kingdom Lakes in the upper City Creek basin. It is the premier alpine hike in Emigration Canyon. In the winter it is the canyon¹s premium backcountry skiing destination.

For these reasons this dedicated public right-of-way was identified in the 1999 Emigration Canyon General Plan as an "existing trail", and key element in The Emigration Canyon Township Recreational Trails and Trails Access Plan. This Trail Plan was approved by the Salt Lake County Commission, the Salt Lake County Public Works Department, the Emigration Canyon Township Planning Commission, and the Emigration Canyon Community Council. In spite of this broad endorsement as a public hiking trail, it continues to be blocked.

If you drive to the top of Emigration Canyon you will find that the paved road ends at a blue steel gate marked with multiple signs identifying it as "PRIVATE PROPERTY", and advising area visitors to "KEEP OUT". The land on which the gates reside is not private at all, but is in fact public land that was "dedicated for the perpetual use of the public" by the original developer of The Groves Subdivision in 1911. The signage identifying this land as private is not accurate or truthful.

From the blue steel gate northward to the end of The Groves Subdivision, about a half mile further, there is a network of 21 individually named and dedicated public rights-of-way. All of these rights-of-way are publicly owned lands dedicated for our use. The dedicated public right-of-way that roughly follows the existing road and Emigration Creek is named Burrs Lane, and is 33¹ wide. All the other 20 dedicated public rights-of-way beyond the blue steel gate are 16.5¹ wide. Many of these rights-of-way are not practical for use as hiking trails while some of them are. The primary and most important of these practical rights-of-way is Burrs Lane.

In a 1997 written agreement with Salt Lake County the adjacent landowner, Butler, Crockett, & Walsh Development Corporation, promised to not obstruct public access on the public property known as Burrs Lane, the main dedicated public right-of-way.

In addition to installing the gates and signage on the public property known as Burrs Lane, the adjacent landowner constructed (in 1999) two, earthen dams across Burrs Lane and across one other critical, usable public right-of-way without ever having applied for or received any of the necessary County construction or encroachment permits. These earth-fill dams fail to meet minimum slope requirements for any placed fill material, much less earth fill that impounds large volumes of stored water. In 2003 the Salt Lake County Surveyor surveyed the location of Burrs Lane and affirmed that this public land lies submerged beneath many feet of water, effectively blocking public access to hikers, and in violation of the 1997 agreement.

In 2000 a formal Salt Lake County Commission decision was made to open Burrs Lane for public hiking access. Since then neither the current Salt Lake County administration or the Emigration Canyon Community Council has done anything to remedy this violation of law and violation of formal, written agreement, nor have they done anything to implement the 2000 decision.

The landowner argues that since Burrs Lane strays at some points from the existing road and into the creek channel, public access is inappropriate. While this is true, the creek itself is 2 feet wide and the right-of-way is 33¹ wide, leaving 31¹ for the placement of a trail. With appropriate County permission and a modest amount of volunteer brush clearing, a hiking pathway could be easily constructed through those sections where the right-of-way and the existing road diverge.

The landowner also argues that public access is inappropriate due to increased fire hazard. If this is a legitimate reason for public access closure it should then also be applied to other popular Emigration Canyon trails such as Freeze Creek, Killyon Creek, and the old railroad grade into Brigham Fork. If it¹s not a legitimate reason for trail closure elsewhere, it should not be used as an excuse for public access closure in Pinecrest either.

The landowner tells some local residents that they have permission to pass through. As long as access is dependent on permission, the permission can be withdrawn or refused at any time, as it has been for many. Only formal, deeded access rights will permanently insure access.

There are legitimate public parking concerns that need to be addressed if a public hiking trail is to be used. The difficulty in developing a public parking area at the trailhead is one of the arguments presented in favor of trail closure. The easiest solution would be to utilize shoulder parking on the widened section of the road below the Pinecrest Community. Advisory signage could accomplish this.

I see several possible outcomes *

1 * The present blockage of public access to public lands could be allowed to stand indefinitely and public access to Lookout Peak would be lost.

2 * A public hiking trail could be developed on the public rights-of-way if the dams are removed.

3 * A negotiated settlement could be made with the landowner in which a public easement is granted on the existing road throughout the length of The Groves Subdivision in exchange for allowing the present dams to reside on public lands * and the dams¹ earthen slopes could be re-constructed to meet minimum County grading standards.

I am asking you, as canyon neighbors, for help in keeping this critical public trail open. Go look at this situation for yourself. Talk to the Community Council and the Salt Lake County Council members listed below. I believe that we all live here because we cherish and enjoy our outdoor recreational opportunities. It would be a great tragedy to lose any of them.

Please pass this email along to anyone you know who is interested in preserving public access on hiking trails or who lives close to Emigration Creek and might be concerned about the possibility of dam failure during a heavy spring runoff or earthquake event. If you¹d like more in-depth information about this situation please let me know and I will send it to you.

Tom Johnson
    9600 Emigration Canyon

THIS EMAIL IS NOT DIRECTLY CONNECTED WITH
    THE EMIGRATION CANYON TRAILS PLAN
    BEING PROMOTED BY SARAH ALLEY

For a list of the Emigration Canyon Community Council members¹ phone numbers and email addresses go to -

Contacts

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Finally a good wet spring. The deer, moose and elk are stomping in some good bench cuts. Seen some deer parts up in trees, hopefully I'm not next. Found a crushed coyote in a bedding spot, it would suck to get crushed by elk or moose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Pink Garage-tools.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looks like corner canyon, did they add that monstrosity to the hobnob bike demo?
    ......fire rake is cool, when NPS has sale they are like $25.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Emigration Canyon Trails Master Plan, they did not find or document a bunch of the existing trails or "local trails". I don't believe they knew about them or omitted as secret stash. Anyone know of a good off line program that acts kind of like google earth or aerial maps (zoom,pan and simple edit) that can import gpx? Why not document existing trails and share without internet publish?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Im confused as what your trying to accomplish here?

sooooo.....You want more people to ride these wildly overgrown "trails" in hopes that they become more popular and better maintained? but not too maintained? but just overgrown enough to make it mildly annoying to ride to keep it from being overly crowded?

I agree that theres a lot of potential in the areas you describe but no one likes riding overgrown shit trails.

mtbr member
    I believe Garmin Basecamp will accomplish that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Pink Garage-screen-shot-2016-05-18-4.06.14-pm-2-.jpg

jeeeeeeze just put it up on trailforks, not like people are going to be lining up to bushwhack on their mountain bikes

or just do a screenshot of trailforks draw it in and post it here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pink Garage-screen-shot-2016-05-18-4.06.14-pm-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    To the little ninjas: Bold and obvious, yet somehow hidden. Work on the up grasshoppers, wax on/wax off. Bit blatant, no reason to go over the top testosterone my-face, jelly sandle 1980's pool hopping crazy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    so jacked up its not even funny

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    https://utahadventures.wordpress.com...-bundys-house/
    You should build another pump track at Ted bundy house.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Or put it this way, if a trail was made from Ted's house to rattlesnake gulch, a loop would be complete from the zoo. Old trail exists from the top of the pipe line below that overlook that some call hike a bike on strava. Cool downhill single track after you take a right off the ridge at the fairy house.(like a kid would make) Terminates just west of rattlesnake in that 80's party spot that has a bunch of old utility poles and cans of baked beans from urban hunters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    meh, I already have plenty of dig projects including a pumptrack in my backyard.

Im not as passionate as you are about any of the trails in emigration canyon...will focus my efforts elsewhere, but you should post up more details of the route maybe others will come to help dig, would like to check it out sometime

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I don't dig, if I did that Ted park would be a cool place to do somthing. Just a bunch of serial killer lookie loos and a homeless man.
    With all the rain, the pink is an impenetrable mess right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Dog walkers built-in a trail loop at the park past the zoo. Actually put in some work and a bit of a bench cut. Trail comes within 50yrd of that turn- around before the serial killers shack. Short story long, go malignant to pink.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Noticed about three more trail runners this year, zero mtb.
    25% deer uptick after some hand trimming. I should become a hunting guide or just take up hunting, that would be easy money. Maybe Donald's kid would be into it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Will be a lush and bushy May. Noticed a tire track on the obvious stuff, first I've seen in a few years! That's a start. Slight uptick in dog walkers and trail runers. Deer are falowing path of least resistance and doing most of the work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    All but the springs and valley have turned brown and visible.

Anyone know the history of motor vehicle access? When did they shut it down? Latest model vehicle Remnant seen is early 70's I believe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you put in some time and hard work, have you been back since 2007 ish?
    No need to come out of the closet and talk about it on the internet. Take a ride down memory lane and clutch quick when weeds start atangling.Pink Garage-img_20170806_120610169.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Strava is like that three ring binder in the file cabinet. Sometimes you need to take it out and pinch a finger. Try to forget about that cheep pencil bag acessorie that never lived up to expectations.https://www.strava.com/activities/11...S&v=1503265848