mtbr member

Payson Canyon Downhilling

I have heard some great things about the area and seen some videos of the riding. Can anyone give me some beta on the trails there?
    wannabee gaper

Mtn Biker Machinist

Past Experience

DISCLAIMER: I am not a DHer! This was all ridden on a Trek Fuel 90 7+ yrs. ago!

Payson used to be my favorite ride (even if it was a shuttle) when I lived in Spanish Fork. I could ride about 11 miles with only a mile or so of total climbing (this is an estimate no GPS). I used to ride from the cattle guard above the scenic overlook past Blackhawk campground all the way to the horse corrals at the bottom of the canyon (we would leave a vehicle there to drive back up and get the truck at the top of the canyon).

We had to connect several trails and ride a bit on the road, and through the scout camp for a minute, but it was a blast! I used to know the names of most of the trails, and I can picture them in my head, but not perfectly.

Jones Ranch, then Lizard Lake trail, that came out at the higway close to one of the small lakes, and then it crossed the paved road & jumped on the Blackhawk Trail for a while to Bennie Creek to the road again, at that point you are on the pavement until the Scout camp (there may be a trail now, but this has been 7+ yrs ago). Into the Scout camp to what we called Pine Forest, then that crossed the natural gas pipeline cut and came out at the horse corrals.

Again this is pulled from memory, and done a while ago, so I may be off!

Enjoy, I keep meaning to take my bike down and ride this when I visit my parents in Springville, but it hasn't happened yet!

Link to Utah Mountain Biking:
    Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs
    Go to trails>Utah Valley>Payson Canyon

frog
    Last edited by 1 cog frog; 03-28-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Added Link

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There is a a good dh trail there. we just call it bennie creek dh...You're going to have to have someone show you. I'm not sure if it's a named trail on umb.com or not. the person above may be describing the same trail. I know some of the sections are what he describes. Gnarly trail in some sections. I've only cleaned the trail maybe twice w/o crashing.. It is a super long trail...super fun. Way fun jump section in the middle that was built by some of the locals two years ago.

mtbr member
    Yeah That is what I am talking about the Bennie Creek DH can some one give me beta through a PM or just on here if ya want?
    wannabee gaper

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    OOo... I would like information on it as well!!