Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New question here. Park City Trip Planner

I have been doing some research about Park City as a friend and I intend to go there on the 19th-21st of July. I have heard the downhill is epic and we felt compelled to go for a summer road trip.

I will be renting bikes and it seems like there are two major resorts.
    Ski Bike Hike Park City Utah at Deer Valley Resort
    Summer Home | Canyons

Having never been there, I don't know which is better. I won't be able to bring my bike so rental is important. Canyons resort rents GT Fury and Deer Valley rents Giant Glory 2.

Anyone have any thoughts on which is better. I should also state that I haven't ridden lift-served downhill in a few years. I should probably go for the one with more moderate terrain as I will probably be skipping the 8 foot drop offs this time around.

I am also very interested in any info about restaurants, microbreweries and other summer nightlife in the town. I did a search for a similar thread but I wasn't able to find much info about Park City.
    Last edited by Kevlar3D; 07-02-2013 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    As I don't ride lifts, I can't speak to the quality of DH options at Deer Valley vs. Canyons Resorts. However, those ARE the two places to look for riding lifts. Those two resorts are close enough that you don't need to limit yourself to one resort or the other if you will be there for a few days. There are less than 20 minutes of driving apart and there is a free shuttle bus that you can grab to go to either resort.

Plenty of food options and brewpub options available.
    Wasatch Brew Pub sits at the top of Main Street : Wasatch Brew Pub & Brewery - Park City, Utah
    High West Distillery sits near the bottom of old town
    Squatters
    Boatload of information here: Park City Utah Official Website - Hotels, Restaurants, Lodging, Events, Summer Vacation, Outdoor Recreation Information
    Events : Park City Utah Summer Vacations Events ? Things to do in Park City

Enjoy your visit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks Charcist!!! Much appreciated. Any thought on which resort has better XC trails?

mtbr member
    Park City Mountain Resort and Deer Valley have better XC trails than the Canyons. The trails between DV and PC are pretty contiguous (I ride there 3 days/week in the summer and have a hard time knowing when I leave one resort and enter the other), but I'd say PC has an edge on the XC trails, especially during that time (read:hot) of the year. If you are trying to group compromise on XC / DH, you can't go wrong by parking at Silver Lake at DV. Lift-served starts right there and the Midmountain trail starts/ends there for all sorts of awesome XC loop options with as much or little climbing as you want.

For some armchair recon, check out skidmap.com - The Skid Map

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you like cross country, Park City is amazing. But, you are not limited to riding one resort or another. The trail system is pretty much everywhere in town. So, you can start from wherever and ride to whatever single track trail you want.And you can hop on a lift at one of the resorts if you want to gain some vertical the easy way. Or you can get a shuttle to the top of guardsman Pass to do the Crest trail without having to climb all the way there. And the trails all interconnect. Also, across the freeway is the Glenwild trail system (which you can ride to from town) and also in town is the Round Valley trail system. These two trail systems are not associated with any of the ski resorts, but are very good. I highly recommend you pick up a map from one of the local bike shops upon arrival and plot out your rides.The trail system is pretty amazing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stenou View Post
    Also, across the freeway is the Glenwild trail system (which you can ride to from town) and also in town is the Round Valley trail system.
    Both of these areas get very hot during the day with more sun exposure, so ride early a.m. if you do these.

When you get to town, stop at any shop, Jans, Cole Sport, White Pine, etc. and pick up a trail map for $5, its worth every penny. The online version is here: Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

For moderate DH, Deer Valley is better. The Canyons has more of a "park" with stunts and man-made obstacles, but also options for all skill levels. Deer Valley is perfect for an XC rider looking to do as little climbing as possible.

+1 on High West. You can ride right to their door, and their whiskey lemonade is amazing.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    IMO you should not make a dh-specific trip to PC. PC is XC heaven but the lift served stuff is still a work in progress. Be ready to pedal up and you will have a blast.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    IMO you should not make a dh-specific trip to PC.
    We called the rental shop for deer valley and they kind of suggested the same thing. Said that 95% of people rent the all-mountain bikes because of the pedaling involved. I think we are adjusting our expectations to be more of an enduro trip.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar3D View Post
    I have been doing some research about Park City as a friend and I intend to go there on the 19th-21st of July. I have heard the downhill is epic and we felt compelled to go for a summer road trip.

I will be renting bikes and it seems like there are two major resorts.
    Ski Bike Hike Park City Utah at Deer Valley Resort
    Summer Home | Canyons

Having never been there, I don't know which is better. I won't be able to bring my bike so rental is important. Canyons resort rents GT Fury and Deer Valley rents Giant Glory 2.

Anyone have any thoughts on which is better. I should also state that I haven't ridden downhill in a few years. I should probably go for the one with more moderate terrain as I will probably be skipping the 8 foot drop offs this time around.

I am also very interested in any info about restaurants, microbreweries and other summer nightlife in the town. I did a search for a similar thread but I wasn't able to find much info about Park City.
    I think you have been misinformed. The dh is not epic. Canyons has high quality runs with tiny vert. Their 4 runs stacked end to end do not make 1 full run. Deer Valley has 3 runs that can be considered dh by old school standards. The rest is poorly designed and lacks quality. If you want to ride, go to Colorado. Park city is poor for gravity

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    IMO you should not make a dh-specific trip to PC. PC is XC heaven but the lift served stuff is still a work in progress. Be ready to pedal up and you will have a blast.
    PC is Xc heaven for intermediate riders. PC gets a significant downgrade for anyone who knows how to handle a bike.
    Call it decent. High in quantity and average in quality

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well this trip is already locked in but what is a good recommendation for next year's DH trip?

CA - Mammoth
    CO - Keystone, Trestle, Winter Park, Snowmass

Or should we just go to Whistler, BC?

EDIT - Suppose I should add Angel Fire in Northern NM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    PC is Xc heaven for intermediate riders. PC gets a significant downgrade for anyone who knows how to handle a bike.
    Sounds perfect for me and the wife.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

That depends

If you just stay on the high traffic stuff that is true, but there is a lot of very difficult riding available if you are willing to explore a bit. Park city has many trails away from the resorts that will challenge you. And it's not like even the popular trails are bridle paths or anything. Plus, you can always try to go faster if the trail isn't challenging enough, eh?

For a dedicated dh trip Whistler is the obvious choice, if that's too far CO is you next best bet.

Walt

Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Given your stated level of ability, Deer Valley sounds like a good fit for you and your wife for lift served downhill runs.

mtbr member
    We called the rental shop for deer valley and they kind of suggested the same thing. Said that 95% of people rent the all-mountain bikes because of the pedaling involved. I think we are adjusting our expectations to be more of an enduro trip.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.
    I think most of the people on rental bikes rent 'em because they don't want to ride "DH" stuff. At least, that seems to be what I see at resorts.

Yeah, it isn't world class, but don't worry, you'll have a good time, especially for a couple of days. All those poo-poohing the lack of gnarly DH at local resorts are being a little over critical, I think. The scenery is great, the riding is fun, and you don't have to pedal up! There are a couple runs at DV that will challenge most any level of rider, the jump lines at Canyons are fun (particularly for someone not expert in jump lines), and the features sprinkled in keep it interesting. Heck, even Sundance has enough to keep one entertained for an afternoon -- it is cheap, really beautiful, there are lots of fun trails requiring minimal pedaling, and the "DH" run's middle section is legit enough to keep anyone entertained. My brothers are in town this week to hang out and ride. Their stomping grounds are Whistler, Northstar, Blackrock, Angelfire, and the like. They have a blast here, and so will you. Have a great trip!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    I think most of the people on rental bikes rent 'em because they don't want to ride "DH" stuff. At least, that seems to be what I see at resorts.
    Thanks Ty.

With regard to DV, do you think we would be more frustrated with the gearing & weight of the DH bike or frustrated with the lack of travel on the all mountain bike?

Giant Glory 2 (DH) & Trance X 29er (All-Mtn)

mtbr member
    Thanks Ty.

With regard to DV, do you think we would be more frustrated with the gearing & weight of the DH bike or frustrated with the lack of travel on the all mountain bike?

Giant Glory 2 (DH) & Trance X 29er (All-Mtn)
    Tough one ... I'm more of a "its the rider, not the bike" kinda guy for the most part. Meaning, I'll pretty much ride whatever I'm on wherever I feel like riding it. FWIW, I haven't had it there yet, but I plan to ride my Enduro at DV when we go (although it is pretty solid going downhill).

That said, if I were renting, I'd go with the Glory, just because we spend 90% of our time on the black and double blacks and the freeride features. If you want to be a little more pedaly, go with the 29'er, venture down one of the blacks after you get a few runs under your belt, and see how it goes. I would be surprised if they wouldn't let you change bikes in the rental shop if you made the wrong choice (although I don't know for sure, might want to ask them that when you rent).
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Dv will not do anything to the suspension when renting a bike. Go to Jans. They will take better care of you

26 will be more fun at dv than 29

mtbr member
    So what would you recommend for an out-of-towner that CAN handle a bike that will be visiting for first time?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman012 View Post
    So what would you recommend for an out-of-towner that CAN handle a bike that will be visiting for first time?
    I have no idea how YRG rates his/her trails but PC is epic and definitley deserves it's handle as a premier riding destination. As Tystevens suggested, see if you can swap around your rental bikes and try a bit of everything. You won't get bored and remember, your trip is what you make it.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Good stuff

Highlights in the area are:
    Arcylon - fast flowy n fun with features (arguably pc's best)

Canyons - if you don't mind the fact that they only have 400 feet of vertical (but the 400 is pretty damn good)

Bob's Basin - especially the newly redone drop out (I give it PC's best flow) Hit the School yard pump track while you are there

Empire - get directions (I like to start at Jupiter peak)
    Rasberry - get directions (some high consequence stuff in there)
    Deer Valley - you get lots of vertical but its all old school

Descend pine cone (its like a down hill pump track)
    IF You have lights - Take Pine Cone to Armstrong (armstrong is uphill only but has some of the best flow in PC. be polite and only go at night)

Trailside is fun (will be more fun when finished) Pump track is not quite there yet, but it's fun

Wasatch Crest Really fun, especially if you can get someone else to clear the people off the trail ahead of you. I had one of my best runs following a couple friends. They are big, fast and when I saw people they were about 15-20 feet off the trail looking nervous.

Moose trail (off the map version)

Moose house is pretty fun

Payroll (in DV) Really short but high quality - but bottom has not seen the hand work it deserves.

New pump track where miss billies used to be (very nicely done). Lot's of fun.

My pump track is pretty epic. Definitely the fastest in pc and we aren't even done yet. (you dig-you ride)

Silentfoe is entitled to rave, but if you have ridden quality trails with thoughtful design, you will know PC is way behind the curve. Part of our problem is we have a huge population of intermediate riders that think it's the bomb. If we teach our people to ride, they will wake up and ask for more.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Dude, seriously? Your pals were running people off of the trail on the Crest? Or were you joking?

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Dude, seriously? Your pals were running people off of the trail on the Crest? Or were you joking?

-Walt
    Haven't you noticed how people tend to jump quickly off the trail when they see bikes? How many of your riding buddies stop and let people on foot have the right of way after the hikers have already yielded the trail? They are only doing what most people now do. They just do it better. When I ride, I stop for foot traffic even when they stop for me.
    When I am on foot, usually at least one rider bumps into me because riders expect people on foot to get out of the way. Last time it happened, I got scolded for not getting out of the way.
    I imagine the guys thundering down the trail causes people to move far off the trail just from the noise. So I don't think they were running people off the crest, just moving them off better than I've seen anyone else. Bikes "running" people off the trail is more normal than bikes obeying the trail courtesy. I don't get why you find this surprising.

mtbr member
    Bikes "running" people off the trail is more normal than bikes obeying the trail courtesy. I don't get why you find this surprising.
    I don't get why you find this acceptable.
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Actually, I usually do stop even if the person on foot is stopped, because I want to make really, really sure that my kids and I will be able to ride these trails in 10 or 20 years. If I want to get my shred on, I ride super early or at night or on trails that most people won't put the effort in to get to.

I've lived in places where mountain bikers got themselves banned from pretty much everywhere and the process starts with lots of mountain bikers behaving like jerks. EVERYONE hikes at least occasionally, so once the trails get crowded enough (looked at the population growth numbers for the Wasatch lately?) people get sick of dealing with "guys thundering down the trail" and the bikes go away forever.

It can happen here, and I think we'd all prefer that it not. Tell your friends to be courteous, or go ride one-way trails or stuff in the boondocks where you won't see anyone. Scared hikers is a recipe for bike bans.

-W
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast