mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Park City Recommendations?

Hi,

I'm in Park City for the next month. I'm staying in a place off Royal Street. I've ridden for years, but had to spend a couple of years off the bike due to injury and only have 4 months or so of solid riding since getting everything back in order. When I had my fitness, I was a mid pack expert racer. These days I"m probably mid pack cat 2 at best.

What rides would you recommend? I'm looking for both trail recommendations and any groups rides that might be going on.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Totally jealous. I'm hardly a PC expert, but I spent four days riding there last year and fell in love with the trails there. Suggest that you get a map and plot your rides up to and down from Mid Mountain. MM is the spine of the PC trail network and it is easy to improvise routes as you go along. Very hard to go wrong, as there are so many fantastic options.

There is a newish trail that climbs moderately to MM... Armstrong I think. Uphill only trail for bikers.

This is a terrific map, but again bring one with you on your rides:

Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    White Pine Touring offers a free group ride every Thursday night which is a lot of fun. Sounds like you'd fit in with the 2's, the middle of the 3 groups.

On Royal St, you're in Deer Valley, so you can ride a lot of nice trails there, connect over to the Park City Mountain side, or shoot around town on the road. The mountain trails map is "the map" you must have when riding Park City, stop by any store, White Pine, Jans, Cole Sport, etc and pick one up for $5.

In Deer Valley, a good connector trail is Tour De Homes, it will take you up or down to the rest of the good stuff. Connect over on Deer Crest to get to Spin Cycle, one of the classic trails. Mid Mountain starts at Silver Lake and will connect you to the entire network, or just stay on Mid Mountain out and back for a great ride with amazing views. Rossi Hill is also a good little connector trail to get you from Royal St. to the Daly canyon area. Armstrong up to Mid Mountain is another good way to get into the network from the north end of Park City Mountain. And finally, the Wasatch Crest is a classic trail, access up on Guardsman or from Mid Mountain via Pinecone.

You really can't go wrong here, its all good!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just got back from a week's vacation in Park City. Hooking up with a group ride is a good idea. Even with a map, I had a hard time finding my plotted course. A couple times I was disappointed by riding down a road looking for a trail after I had climbed up to MM. A local guide would have been really helpful for the short time I was there.

I enjoy a good singletrack climb but I also want a screamin' ass descent for a reward. The trails in close proximity to the Park City ski resort are great for climbing. The best descents are Deer Valley and the Canyons.

My farvority 2 rides:
    1. Wasatch Crest down the Canyons. Avoid the trail that has recent man-made obstacles. They were placed there specifically to slow down bikers not to enhance it for mtbing.

2. Wasatch Crest down Desolation Lake trail into Big Cottonwood Canyon. Lots of intermediate water bars to launch off of. Mid-week is best to avoid hikers.

Mid-week is best for any of the trails if you want the most out of a descent. I from Oregon, so the weekends felt like I was on a LA freeway during rush hour. It also sucked when Specialized chose to bring 50 people up to the Wasatch Crest for a demo ride. The one good thing is that I could really let it go on unfamiliar trails because all the severe stutter bumps warned me to slow down before any obstacle or switch back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Technikal or anybody else for that matter, able to show someone around some of the PC trails? I'll be in salt lake city mon-wed. If you know of some good trails in salt lake that would be fine too. Hope somebody has the time,thx. Fran

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for all the info. I've been heading out mid mountain at Silver Lake and just experimenting. Lots of really cool stuff here. Did a ride out past Shadow Lake/'puke hill'/pinecone today that was a blast. I'll definitely check out the group rides on Thursday.

Frana - I'm definitely not the one to be a tour guide here - but it's a great place to explore. Hop on pretty any trail and you'll eventually run into Mid Mountain, which will take you to known endpoints - or onto pavement, where you can catch the free bus service back to wherever you started. The trails aren't super technical, but there's lots of climbing and the altitude makes it a real challenge at times. It's absolutely beautiful and there are tons and tons of trails to explore...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Technikal, I don't like riding alone, especially somewhere new. I'm suppose to be meeting up with friends of a friend but if they can't go maybe we could do some exploring together. Will be in touch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Technikal I plan on riding pc wednesday.let me know if you'll be up there. Text 909 292 5373. Fran

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I did some exploring on Friday. I had like 3 hours and figured ... well gotta try and explore sometime so i was off...

I had no clue what I was doing or where I was going so i purchased a ride at PC mountain resort and rode the chair lift up. Then being not exactly "lost" but no knowing where to go.. I ended up on Mid Mountain and rode down. It was nice. I gotta get my map out and figure out where I went and where I can go from there.

Do people shuttle from like areas near the outlet malls and go up to Deer valley and ride Mid mountain? or just peddle it and make it a nice loop? suggestions appreciated.

mtbr member
    As mentioned, if you go to mountaintrails dot org, you can build a route and, if you have a GPS unit, download it. Otherwise, you might enjoy "Bob's Basin" accessible from Glenwild which also accesses Flying Dog (counter clockwise if you like flowing downhills that are buff, or clockwise if you like more of a rocky ride). A good late afternoon ride is anything at Round Valley. If you like a challenging climb, I'd suggest Sweeny's/John's to the MM where you can branch out. Armstrong (uphill only) to Pinecone is a painless way to get to the ridge and then come down Puke Hill to Shadow Lake Loop and down Spiro. Lots of chair access at Deer Valley. There's only about 300 miles of singletrack to choose from; good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcdds View Post
    I did some exploring on Friday. I had like 3 hours and figured ... well gotta try and explore sometime so i was off...

I had no clue what I was doing or where I was going so i purchased a ride at PC mountain resort and rode the chair lift up. Then being not exactly "lost" but no knowing where to go.. I ended up on Mid Mountain and rode down. It was nice. I gotta get my map out and figure out where I went and where I can go from there.

Do people shuttle from like areas near the outlet malls and go up to Deer valley and ride Mid mountain? or just peddle it and make it a nice loop? suggestions appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    ..Armstrong (uphill only) to Pinecone is a painless way to get to the ridge and then come down Puke Hill to Shadow Lake Loop and down Spiro...
    I'm from Texas, so my perceptions are biased, but it's hard for me to call any ride that starts with 9 solid miles of climbing painless. It's reasonable, and better than some of the other approaches to the Crest - but it's still 9 freaking miles of solid climbing.

The good news is, it's eliminated any thoughts I had of 'upgrading' to 2x10.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    I'm from Texas, so my perceptions are biased, but it's hard for me to call any ride that starts with 9 solid miles of climbing painless. It's reasonable, and better than some of the other approaches to the Crest - but it's still 9 freaking miles of solid climbing.

I'm from Texas and skipped the climbs. Have your wife drop you off near empire lodge, mid mountain starts right there. I took it all the way to the canyons and then down ambush, best ride ive ever had.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

HAHA....I'm from Texas as well. Grew up in Dallas, came out here once for vacation and have never been back to Texas (other than for work) for 25 yrs. The trail network in PC is great as well as a bunch of other places in or around the Salt Lake Valley...

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
    I'm from Texas and skipped the climbs. Have your wife drop you off near empire lodge, mid mountain starts right there. I took it all the way to the canyons and then down ambush, best ride ive ever had.
    OR...for an even better version of that ride, hitch a ride to guardsman's pass and take scott's connector over to the base of puke hill, ride the crest over to the mill creek split, and drop back into the canyons (or ride back to PC on midmountain if you want more miles). Boosh.

mtbr member
    Touche'

mtbr member

A moderate climb, with the world's easiest switchbacks, and never reaching 10,000 feet ... sounds pretty pain-free to me.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I agree it's not a killer, and hopefully after a few more times up it, I'll be more aligned to calling it painless. I'm just not used to a climb that extended.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Armstrong/Pinecone

If you like climbing, go up Armstrong (one way bike traffic - up only) for 5 miles to Mid-Mountain then head south on Mid-Mounatin to the new Pinecone trail ( about .5 miles) trail forks off of Mid Mountin to the right, 5 miles to the top of Scotts. Rode Pinecone about a week after it open a month ago and for a new trail it was in go shape.