Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

park city camping/riding

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  zebrahum 
#1 ·
Hey,
We'll be coming thru the area on our way to Moab/Fruita/Creasted butte and was thinking of stopping in Park City for a couple of days. Looking for info on where to camp and what to ride. Intermediate + type trails, x/c, don't mind climbing. Both of us will be on full squish rides. We will be in our truck with two dogs and self supported. Away from the masses is good. Oh, we'll be there in about a week.
Thanks!

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Camping- not a whole lot of options that I know of- I couldn't find decent blm land to just park the truck on while out there last weekend.

Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica

This provides reservations for Utah state park camping spots- I stayed out in Jordanelle state park- a quick 10-15 minutes drive to park city base. It's mostly RV camping which can be loud, but it works. Kind of spendy for camping ($16-20/night) but it's convenient.

The weirdest/worst thing about UT state parks is that they actually close the gates at 10:00 pm and you can't get in till 6:00 am in the morning- so late nights can be problematic.

Trails- I was out there to pre-ride for the point-to-point- some good maps of various legs of that race here: Park City Point To Point » COURSE & MAPS

Round valley area has a whole network of trails (see leg 1 on the link above) but there not as "interesting" as the trails up by the resorts (in my opinion). Mid mountain trail is pretty fun. I also liked lost prospector. I've only ridden there 3 days so others will likely have more input.

#5 ·
Unfortunately there is no good primative camping right in PC, you need to go about 30 minutes south of town to Uinta National Forest (American Fork area), or about 30 minutes east to the Uinta Mountains. If you camp near Jordenelle, you will probably need to drive to the trails unless you don't mind riding on road to get there. American Fork has good mountain biking that you could hit from camp (depending on where you find), here is a link:

Utah - American Fork Canyon Bike Trails

#6 ·
I usually camp at the Park City RV Park near Kimball Junction....not primitive, and you'll see plenty of other people there, but it's close to all the trails and they have nice tent sites.

Oh, and Road to Arcylon is a sick trail! Maybe more of a freeride course, but even the "ride-arounds" that bypass the features flow really well, and the climb is good getting to the top of it.

#7 ·
It just keeps coming! Thanks for all the info. Looks like a couple good spots to camp at, doesn't need to be primitive camping, just a wish. The Timpooneke camp looks like a good spot, lots o trails right there. May have to spend more than a couple days and sample more of the goods!

#8 ·
Man I never even thought about it but its true -- the camping situation in Park City is awful!

Look near Brighton ski resort in the Big Cottonwood Canyon. There are lots of campgrounds in that area, and a lot of bike trails. I grew up riding AF Canyon and its good but not as good as Park City, in my opinion. I doubt too many people would argue with that. If you camp near Brighton (maybe up on Guardsman, anybody know if camping is allowed up there?) you'd have quick, easy access to the Wasatch Crest, one of the best trails around. The drive into Park City is quick too and there are hundreds of miles of great trails over there. Mill D, just west of Solitude Ski Resort, is also a great ride. Solitude itself also has a recently-improved trail system that is a lot of fun. If I were you that's where I'd go if I was planning on camping. I live in SLC right at the end of the Big Cottonwood so I know the area pretty well.

#10 ·
I'm not a DH/Freerider myself, but having worked for all three resorts at one point or another the one I've heard is the best is Deer Valley. Canyons is putting together some Freeride-ish trails but PC hasn't really latched onto the whole Freeride scene. They are trying, so you should visit the new Trailside Park out past Kimball Junction. Its not a lot but its probably the best freeriding the state has to offer, except maybe in Brian Head...

#11 ·
Not sure if you made this trip yet, but I just spent a few nights camping at Rock Cliff campground at Jordanelle. The campgrounds were nice and in a beautiful area, but mosquitoes were terrible and it was a 35min highway drive to the trails. Other end of the res should be good (less grasses), as well as a bit closer to the trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.