mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Park City area easy stuff?

You guys were great when I asked about your favorite PC trails, now I need to know about some of the easier stuff please....we are staying in Prospector Square in PC.

1) Need some places to take my 20 year old daughter out in some dirt. She will be riding an Air 9 hardtail and has plenty of experience on dirt bikes but just started riding last summer while home from college. Very limited experience but brave and willing to push herself. Last thing I want to do is get here in over her head where she isn't having fun. Doesn't matter if it's lift served or not....

2) My wife is coming along and she doesn't possess any skill or desire to ride on any dirt trails. We've been to PC 10-12 times but always in winter. I assume there are some paved trails that I could take my wife out on to kill a few hours?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    You guys were great when I asked about your favorite PC trails, now I need to know about some of the easier stuff please....we are staying in Prospector Square in PC.

1) Need some places to take my 20 year old daughter out in some dirt. She will be riding an Air 9 hardtail and has plenty of experience on dirt bikes but just started riding last summer while home from college. Very limited experience but brave and willing to push herself. Last thing I want to do is get here in over her head where she isn't having fun. Doesn't matter if it's lift served or not....

2) My wife is coming along and she doesn't possess any skill or desire to ride on any dirt trails. We've been to PC 10-12 times but always in winter. I assume there are some paved trails that I could take my wife out on to kill a few hours?
    The Rail Trail is a paved and gravel bike path that runs through town. There are also paved trails all along the highway back towards Kimbal Junction that cut into natural areas and would be quite pleasant for the 'non-MTB-inclined'

Just about all the primary trails above Park City are Beginner to Intermediate. The top of Sweeney's Switchbacks (intermediate rocky) is about as difficult as it gets on a main trail. That's not to say there aren't some steep, rowdy trails... But the only way to really get in trouble is to randomly turn down on unmarked tracks.

There is a great map available in all the bike shops and some of the coffee shops. Suggested donation of a few bucks and it has trails marked by skill level.

JMH

Bored Carp
    1. With a few exceptions, most PC trails are pretty easy in a technical sense. It is usually the aerobic effort that gets to folks. You could ride the MidMountain from the Upper Deer Valley parking lot and eliminate most climbing. Descend back to town on Spiro or, do an out and back. You could ride the lower trail systems, such as Glenwild or Round Valley, but they aren't any different in a technical sense.

2. There is a very nice rail-trail. It is paved and pretty. If you head toward/past Deer Valley you get some pretty views. She may also enjoy taking the lift up to the top of DV and hiking.

The Mountain Trails Foundation sells a great map with both the paved and unpaved trails on it. Totally worth the 2 dollars. There are hundreds of green/blue trail combos your daughter might enjoy.

Summer | Mountain Trails Foundation

Cheers,
    C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Your daughter will enjoy the Armstrong trail which starts right near the spiro trail. It's an uphill only trail and not too steep. It climbs for three or four miles. At the top you can go left on the mid man trail and go back down via spiro trail to make a nice loop.
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky View Post
    1. With a few exceptions, most PC trails are pretty easy in a technical sense. It is usually the aerobic effort that gets to folks.
    Agreed, most of the trails in/near PC are pretty "easy." I define them by how hard/long the climbs are, not the difficult of the trail! Mid-mountain is a beautiful ride, a little up and down, nothing too tough on the trail that I recall. The climb up the Spiro trail is not an easy one in my book, however -- about 40 minutes of climbing and climbing some more (although not super steep at any point, I guess). Better to start from Silver Lake at Deer Valley.

There is also the Round Valley and Glenwild trails that can be accessed not too far from Prospector Square which I used to ride for exercise after work. Just smooth single track through the valley more or less.

I'd even say that some of the more 'epic' trails like Wasatch Crest are fine for an adventurous beginner. 90% of the trail is just nice, fairly smooth singletrack. There will be a few tricky spots, but she can always walk, and the experience and scenery is pretty exceptional. I've taken several novice riders on the Crest, they did fine and had a blast. The only downside is there is no short way out, so she has to be fairly committed to doing the ride, where the trails mentioned in PC have some bail out spots if things aren't going well.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road