mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Park City advice needed....

Heading out to PC this summer for 6 days of MTB riding and aside from what I may read on here or in magazines, I don't have any idea where to go. I have a timeshare there and have been to PC 20 times but always for skiing and or snowboarding.

We generally ride cross country related 15-20 mile loops but have stretched it out to 26 on occasion. In the last year, we've been to Mammoth, Gooseberry twice, Durango and Sedona to ride. I ride a Tallboy but most in the group ride 5-6" travel bikes. The teenage sons also have full blown 8" DH bikes as well.

Sooooo....what are teh best trails in PC and for that matter, withing an hours drive? The only one I know about is Bobsled because a friend went to PC over New Years to snowboard and ended up MTB'ing. He said Bobsled was pretty damn awesome!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

www.utahmountainbiking.com

Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mid mountain trail.
    Wasatch Crest.
    Flying Dog.

Ride and Smile
    Fun trails:
    Arcylon (5-6 bike good here)
    Trailside (5-6 bike good here or dj)
    Canyons new stuff (dh bike is good here 5-6 fine)
    Newly redone jump park (park meadows )
    DV has some small improvements (dh bike good here 5-6 works)
    Empire trail (not on the map-but not to be missed)
    Moose house
    Bob's Basin
    Spin Cycle (put on the list begrudgingly the old one was better)
    xc trails: that would be the other 200 miles of single track
    Some of them are fun as well
    Anyone want to chime in for the one's I missed like Bender's Folly?

mtbr member
    Definitely do the Mid-mountain trail from Park City to Canyons, you can ride the chair up at Park City to skip the first major climb if the downhillers in your group aren't up to it...

mtbr member
    If you've got a time share in park city and have not been coming in the Summer with the mtbs, you've been missing out.

Like axolotl said there's 200 miles of great XC type trails in/around PC that are all accessible right from town. Way too many too list. But one of my favorites is to start at Park City Resort and climb Spiro to Thaynes to Wasatch Crest then descend the connector to the Mid Mountain trail and return to PC on Mid Mountain. Your Tall Boy will be perfect for the PC trails. Just enough suspension and rollover ability with the big wheels to smooth out the rocky and rooty sections but fast and efficient on the the miles of buff flow.

There is some lift assisted stuff for the teenagers at Deer Valley and at The Canyons. Axololtl's list are mostly ride-up-on-your-own DH or jump line trails that they may still enjoy if they don't mind some climbing.

Like pedalfaraway said, check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs and pick up a Trail Map from one of the shops and enjoy. Hard to get lost and hard to end up on a bad trail.

Ride and Smile
    Don't forget about the weekly rides with Jan's and White Pine Touring.....

Your Best Friend
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
    Mid mountain trail.
    Wasatch Crest.
    Flying Dog.
    Agree with these. Mid-mountain is a great XC ride, can be a several hour trip depending on where you start. I wouldn't like to ride it on an 8" bike. You can shuttle it starting from Deer Valley, or ride a loop coming back along the road from the Canyons.

Wasatch Crest is one of my favorite rides ever. It starts at the top of the pass between SLC and PC, and ends down in SLC if you do it on an even-numbered calendar day, so you can have a 26 mile nearly all downhill ride. Just fine on a big bike -- my brothers ride their DH bikes on it, and complain a bit on the flattish sections, but otherwise have a blast along with everyone else. A must-ride if you're in the area; I can ride it once a week and not get bored.

Lots of other rides around the Snyderville Basin area - get a map from one of the bike shops or spend some time on the previously referred to website and start pedaling.

Other DH/AM oriented trails include Road to Arcylon, Deer Valley, Canyons. I've only ridden Deer Valley of the 3, but I'm looking forward to hitting the other 2. I've had fun days at Sundance, too (fyi, the scenery of the back-side of Timpanogos is just incredible in the summer). Don't be afraid to give lift riding a shot on your Tallboy -- it can be a lot of fun, and there are plenty of fairly mellow trails at Deer Valley and Sundance that are great on an XC oriented bike like a Tallboy, and you can ride pretty much all of them on a 6" AM bike. You can always walk around the really tough spots on the harder trails. The lifts aren't just for crazies in full body armour.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for all the advice so far. I started riding MTB's when there was no such thing as full suspension and then transistioned to FS when 4" of travel was top of the line. I actually have a 6" travel Banshee Rune that hangs in the garage 99% of the time. I actually like the Tallboy that much better and ride it EVERYWHERE that my friends ride their Nomads and other 6" travel bikes. All these places sound great and I'm making a list. I guess I knew about the Mid-Mountain trail but that wasatch Crest ride sounds like a must do as well.

My personal opinion is that the bike companies (and magazine editors) have done an awesome job of convincing many of the riding public that you need an 8" travel DH bike to ride down Kamikaze (I do it on my Tallboy), 6" travel bikes for Northstar or Thunder Mtn and then a separate bike for CC...that doesn't include the 19-22 lb hardtail you need to actually race CC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    My personal opinion is that the bike companies (and magazine editors) have done an awesome job of convincing many of the riding public that you need an 8" travel DH bike to ride down Kamikaze (I do it on my Tallboy), 6" travel bikes for Northstar or Thunder Mtn and then a separate bike for CC...that doesn't include the 19-22 lb hardtail you need to actually race CC
    I definitely agree with you. I rode my 4.5" bike on everything from 30 mile flattish XC rides around lakes to black diamonds at resorts to mild drops, jumps and stunts at bike park areas, and had a great time doing all of it. Although I did rent a true DH bike last time I was at Northstar, and there was a difference, I have to admit.

My point was more one of encouragement not to send the kids off on their DH rides (you apparently did not need it ). I have some friends and relatives who see videos of people doing crazy things on DH runs and say no way, I can't ride there, I only ride [whatever style they normally ride]. When I've coaxed them out to a resort or bike park or something new, they've always ended up having a great time, and even learned a new thing or 2 about riding; that includes my 58 yr old uncle on his 15 yr old HT Stumpjumper on lifts at Sundance and having a blast!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Dont forget to look up the glenwild trail system. It is a great riding trail with a few fun cut off loops for some more swoopy banky jumpy type trail building.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    He said Bobsled was pretty damn awesome!!
    Hit the bobsled in SLC, pick up some beers from epic brewery, then eat at moochies.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    Hit the bobsled in SLC, pick up some beers from epic brewery, then eat at moochies.
    moooooooochies

Chumley for prez!
    Speaking of food...don't forget to eat at "the chub" while you're in PC. Get the costilla de puerco, or camarones a la diabla to be specific.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    Big yes to everything in this post.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?