Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012

Park City - 1 week summer trip

2 buddies and I are coming out to Park City the week of the 4th of July from Colorado to check out the trails, we do a yearly trip and Park City is next on our list. I'm looking for some trail suggestions. We are all fit experienced riders and looking to get a good 5-6 days in consisting of some all day epics, steep long descents, chunky goodness, techy challenging cussing at my bike stuff, swoopy fun flowy stuff etc...obviously this all doesn't have to be in the same ride but that would be sweet. We'll probably hit up the lifts one day, but mostly looking to earn our turns. Looking at the trail maps there seems to be tons to ride and don't want to miss out on some must rides.

Thanks for the suggestions and hit me up anytime you guys are out on the Northern Front Range of CO and I'll point you to some good stuff.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Park City Trip Planner

Okay, I found this past thread. With the user conflict issues aside it seems like a lot of the trails are intermediate xc stuff so we shouldn't have a problem finding that...any sugguestions on the challenging techy stuff?

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I think everyone's hit list would include:
    -Wasatch Crest. Probably not really epic by CO standards but it's a solid 4 hour ride for a decent rider with amazing views and tons of fun singletrack.
    -MidMountain. This is not a "ride" for most people, it's just a big section of trail used to connect other stuff between Canyons and Deer Valley. There are lots, and lots, and lots of variations. Most of them are flowy/fast stuff. I would probably not do the whole MM trail as an out/back but use it to link stuff together. VERY crowded on weekends/some weekdays in the summer.
    -Flying Dog. Gonna be a little hot by the time you're out here, probably, so hit it in the morning or evening.
    -Deer Valley and Canyons for lift-served stuff. DV has more old-school chunky stuff (though not tons of it), Canyons is more flow-trail/hip/berm/table style in general. Canyons has the slowest lifts on the planet and IMO it's often more fun to just earn your turns there.
    -Shoreline/Bobsled. Hit this in the morning, it's down in the valley and will get hot later in the day. Absolutely amazing descent down a natural set of berms with a few steep/spicy bits at the start and a ton of flow. Shoreline and variations on Shoreline have some great technical challenges and super fun descending - but there's no signage and without local guidance it'll be hard to figure it out. Bobsled is easy to find, though.
    -Draper/Corner Canyon. Flowy, designed for bikes, but might be hot during the day. A bit of a drive, too.
    -Bald mountain loop. Climb Mormon Pioneer from the east side, then head south on the Great Western trail, then finish down super fun flowy stuff into Jeremy Ranch. More remote feeling and less manicured than a lot of stuff (including Wasatch Crest) and an overlooked gem, IMO.

As has been mentioned in other threads, there's not tons of technical riding in PC. With a few exceptions, there's not even much that (IMO) is any more fun on a full suspension bike. It's a great place for rigid bikes, singlespeeds, and flow. Not the best for shredding gnar.

Skidmap.com is your friend, plus buy the Mountain Trails map at any shop in town (supports the trail advocacy/building as well as being informative).

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Your Best Friend
    Don't forget the Heber area. Right around the corner from Park City. The Dutch Hollow trails are similar imo to Corner Canyon. The Coyote Canyon trail is a fun loop that may take a couple of hours. And just maybe, some of the WOW trail could be completed.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    I'd pretty much agree with Walt's list, although I'd put a little more emphasis on the Wasatch Crest. I've taken riders from all over the west on the shuttled ride from Guardsmans to the bottom of Mill Creek Canyon, and gotten rave reviews from everyone. Nice mix of rocks, wide-open, some trees/forests, etc., I love it every time. Plus, what's not to like about 5k ft descending over 22 miles or so (with about 1300 ft climbing mixed in)? I guess technically it might be considered a SLC ride, not a PC ride, but regardless, it is a lot of fun.

In PC, Midmountain is fun as a one-way from Deer Valley out to the Canyons -- one of my favorite PC rides. Nice single track in the Glenwild/Flying Dog area. In SLC, Corner Canyon is nice, but I wouldn't drive down from PC for it.

For lifts, the Canyons is, well, interesting. Pretty good flow trails that are smooth, have some interesting features, and are really, ridiculously short (like 3-5 minutes long). there are a couple top to bottom trails that are better than riding the lift back down, but ... I go there a few times a year, mostly to try to get ready for bigger resort rides, but I always have fun as long as I keep my expectations in check. Very disappointing to ride there after a few days at Northstar or Angelfire or somewhere like that, however. Deer Valley has less manicured, less flowy, rougher trails -- I don't go there very often. I personally think that Sundance is a bit under-rated -- a pretty legit downhill trail (well, a part of it, at least), some fun downhill-XC trails (is that a trail class?), a nice loop around the backside of the mountain where you get to pedal for a bit, and the best scenery in the Wasatch area IMO. And it is only like $15, you're there pretty much all by yourself, and you can ride it on any bike (they don't even rent a legit DH bike in the shop there). None of the lift-served stuff is destination quality IMO, but they make for fun options if you're here and want to try something different.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I once timed myself, and I can ride up the service road at the bike park, *on my DH bike* faster than the lift. I think the longest you could take to descend most of those trails is about 90 seconds unless you're riding way over your head and crash or are going as slow as you can.

I have high hopes that they'll improve things, though. CO resorts have really succeeded, to the point of making DH profitable. Canyons can get there with some work and I think they will pull it off.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it. Can't wait to get out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I once timed myself, and I can ride up the service road at the bike park, *on my DH bike* faster than the lift. I think the longest you could take to descend most of those trails is about 90 seconds unless you're riding way over your head and crash or are going as slow as you can.

I have high hopes that they'll improve things, though. CO resorts have really succeeded, to the point of making DH profitable. Canyons can get there with some work and I think they will pull it off.

-Walt
    Well, I've never timed it, but the Dark Hollow trail seems like it takes at least a couple minutes to get down! But yeah, the Canyons is pretty much in fledgling status right now, and I think it will get better. At least I hope so, and it isn't in about-to-die mode.

Like I've mentioned before, I would never recommend the Canyons (or any other lift-accessed riding in PC) for a destination-type resort. But it is plenty of fun if you're in the area and want a change of pace or try something new for an afternoon.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Check out this ride in North Ogden. Its a little ways from PC but well worth it IMO. This writeup I found on TGR made it look awesome, and it was...

TR: Point A to Point Rad

Here is my writeup from the day I did it. Trip Report - More Utah awesomeness (pic heavy)

You can piece the ride together with info from utahmountainbiking.com. That site has good info but they don't do a great job of explaining how various segments can be linked together into longer rides. I wouldn't have known of this ride had it not been for that TGR writeup. I'm sure there are other great rides that can be put together. Need to do some more research I guess...

The other ride I did in the area was a big Wasatch Crest loop. That one was pretty good as well, though I was going against traffic on WC. Still fun though!

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Those are some great trip reports!

-W
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    That is awesome Evdog, particularly the Ben Lomond peak ride. I need to do more of that type of riding, I think.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Doing same thing and looking for house suggestions. We use vrbo but what part of town is mellow? Stand alone house, mountain, what section should I look in? There are so many to choose from! Any suggestions? Up In deer valley? Is it like crested butte? We could not find a bad place on the mountain!

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    There is really no "bad" place in the whole basin for mountain bike access. If you want nightlife/food/booze try to be relatively close to old town PC. Your other vacation rental options will mostly probably be at the Canyons, which has a bit less riding access (though still great) and basically no nightlife.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    There is really no "bad" place in the whole basin for mountain bike access. If you want nightlife/food/booze try to be relatively close to old town PC. Your other vacation rental options will mostly probably be at the Canyons, which has a bit less riding access (though still great) and basically no nightlife.

-Walt
    Look for a place to stay that has AC, and/or does not have a big west exposure. Many condos in PC were built in the 70s and designed for the winter - they don't ventilate well, and even though the weather up there is perfect, it can be stuffy inside. you should be able to get a pretty good deal, there is a glut of rooms in the summer time. ( as Walt said, can't go too far wrong, PC is 10 min end to end - make sure you're close to old town, and not out at kimball junction, if you want to be able to walk to stuff and have that "old tyme mining town" feel )

Avoid the Crest trail on the weekends and evenings, otherwise you'll be dodging Tystevens and all his buddies ( and a million others ) that drove up/shuttled to the top. Certainly avoid it on EVEN weekend days ( you can't ride into Millcreek on ODD days ) when it can be particularly crowded with everyone from lycra-clad-XC-strava-racing-weenies, jean wearing beginners, crazy mountain runners, the family with grandma out walking the dog, and enduro wannabes pushing their 35lb bikes up puke hill with their full face helmets strapped to their backs so they can rip "the spine" and get sick gopro footy for youtube... Yes, I still ride the crest too, because its sweet ... but its harder and harder to ignore your fellow humans out there. Its just too damn easy to drive to the top, and everyone seems to love easy. ( can't claim to be immune to liking easy... )

Look in American Fork, around Ogden, or even Payson + Diamond Fork ( if you come across route 6 ) for some slightly less trodden paths. Post up a report, it would be interesting to get feedback ... CO ( not the front range ) seems like it has so much big riding away from the crowds, but maybe I've got a little "grass is greener" thing going on.

check out skidmap.org - that locates the trails nicely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Avoid the Crest trail on the weekends and evenings, otherwise you'll be dodging Tystevens and all his buddies ( and a million others ) that drove up/shuttled to the top.
    Well, if everyone would only ride DOWN the trail like the good Lord intended, me and my 11 closest buddies from the shuttle van wouldn't have to do so much dodging! I mean, why'd they build a road up to the top if you weren't supposed to use it?
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Well, if everyone would only ride DOWN the trail like the good Lord intended, me and my 11 closest buddies from the shuttle van wouldn't have to do so much dodging! I mean, why'd they build a road up to the top if you weren't supposed to use it?
    lol .. sorry, i couldn't resist. very good question.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    so....the canyons is quieter in the summer and you need to drive to town? The old town houses are walking distance (clearly) and not too busy/loud? seems like the houses are big and right on top of each other in old town. IN the canyons are they like that too? none of the houses seem to have a "yard" to speak of and im guessing no firepits due to "fire danger"? Not being snippy- i get the fire danger thing....just asking. We usually rent places with a bit of space to relax indoors and out.....have a bead on a bunch of places through VRBO but want to be educated before i rent them. Lots of nice stuff there!

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I don't think you'll find fire pits without renting a mansion, but I could be wrong. Canyons is newer/resorty-er/more generic. PC has more (for UT) "funk" and stuff going on. Also better riding access. If it were me I'd stay in PC proper rather than at the Canyons, unless Canyons had a smoking deal of some kind.

Canyons does have the better lift-served riding if you're going for gravity stuff one day.

This is all nitpicking, really. The locations we're discussing are only ~3 miles apart.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    PC proper it is.