mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Overnight trips in STG / Cedar area

I'm looking to take an overnight (or 2 day) trip in STG. I've rode Bear Claw Poppy, Zen Trail, and any other trail out in green valley. I don't know of any rides that would have a water source or that would take more than a few hours. Is there anything like this in the STG or Cedar area?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Head up towards Cedar Pockets up above the Virgin River Gorge. Also, there is stuff out by Pine Valley but thats summer riding.

You could do a "big ass" loop. Start in Virgin and go JEM/Hurricane Rim/Goulds then up to Little Creek and then over to Gooseberry and down Grafton to Rockville and back to where you started in Virgin. That's keep ya busy for two days.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What time of year are you thinking??

Google the Transutah route put together by dave harris. He did alot of reasearch into exactly what you are looking for and published GPS files. Also the brainchild of dave harris you could look into the Dixie 311 or the Dixie lite which are routes in the brianhead area north of cedar city and both are multi-day trips. However these options are both under snow right now.

If you are looking for something to ride now or early spring check out the arizona strip area between st george and the grand canyon. I am not really familiar with that area but I have been told that its about 150 miles from SG to the north rim of the grand canyon. Depending on the terrain that might be a liitle to far to ride in 2 days but I have always wanted to explore that area.

A final suggestion is the Honeymoon trail. Its basically the pioneer road into st george from smaller communites in arizona. You could find some segments of that that are a distance to your liking and there were established campsites at springs along the way
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Toroweep (North Rim of Grand Canyon) is less than 90 miles. A good ride might be St George to Mt Trumball and then onto Toroweep and back to your start point.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be going through these in the next couple days and formulating something. When I get going I'll make sure to post a journal or blog, or whatever its called.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd be real careful with Jem trail and Gooseberry if you are riding the next couple of days. It has rained like crazy down here and they take a long time to dry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffbucc View Post
    I'd be real careful with Jem trail and Gooseberry if you are riding the next couple of days. It has rained like crazy down here and they take a long time to dry.
    Indeed, its raining as I sit here now. I won't be trying this for a few weeks, atleast until I can get everything planned.