mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New question here. OT: Where to hike with Zion shut down.....?

Coming out to Gooseberry to ride but there are others in the group that had planned on hiking a couple days over in Zion Nat'l Park. With the gov't shutdown, I'm looking for some advice on where else they might be able to hike. I don't expect Zion quality views but want them to have a nice experience....I was thinking they could hike the JEM Trail from Virgin for a couple miles at least and maybe even some of Goose or Little Creek?

I'm sure there's other stuff out there, maybe some state parks that I know nothing about? I'm willing to listen to all advice and ideas

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Snow Canyon state park is nice. Northwest of St George. Also JEM to Hurricane has nice views. On Gooseberry, North rim tothe point would be good, as would the South rim. Endless possibilities with good views. Anywhere you ride around there would make an interesting hike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Happy Hiking

This guy’s web site has a bunch of hiking information and fantastic photos. Though it is based on hiking Zion Park there have got to be some of these hikes that start outside the park such as Coalpits Wash, Huber Wash, Eagle Crags Trail and the Water Canyon and Canaan Mountain can be some options. The wife and I did Water Canyon up to and a bit beyond the water fall features. You earn this one with a fair amount of vertical gain. Joe's Guide to Zion National Park - Hikes in the Desert Lowlands
    You might also check into Kolob Terrace. It can be accessed from the town of Virgin on a road that goes in and out of the Park on the way to Kolob Reservoir. I can’t imagine the road being closed since it provides access to private cabins in the area. Here is a simple map of what is in and out of the Park. Zion National Park Maps | Utah.com and there is a promo and video web site with hiking information. I know Red Cliffs Reserve Red Cliffs Desert Reserve » Trails & Trailhead Maps has some descent hikes, Cottonwood Canyon looks good. Check with some local guide shops in Springdale for the info on Kolob Terrace Trails. The drive up Kolob Terrace Road can be well worth the time. Might be cold at the Reservoir, it is at 8,000 foot plus elevation.
    Snow Canyon State Park has some good hikes and scenery. Might have to click on “Skip Ad” to start the video Snow Canyon State Park | Utah.com
    St.George Utah Golf | Red Rock Golf Trail - Utah Courses and Hotels

Bike Snob
    Just go hike Zion, nobody will stop you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I will second the Water Canyon hike on Canaan Mtn. My favorite hike in the area by far....even if Zion was open!