mtbr member
    Feb 2008

OT: two seperate questions for SLC newbie: ski shop and camping

I know this is a mountain bike site, but it is my community and you all do other things than biking. So I have 2 questions for someone who is knew to the SLC area and doesn't know anything.

1. Tomorrow is most likely my last day of skiing for the season. I need a good SLC ski shop that can tune my skis and storage wax em so I'm ready for next season. Good quality work and not overly expensive are the two qualities I'm looking for.

2. My girlfriend and her dog are coming to visit over memorial day weekend and we want to go camping. She's already driving 6 hours, so we'd prefer not to drive too crazy far. Maybe within 2 hours of SLC.
    Looking for camping, dog friendly, some decent hiking options. We prefer woods and mountains over desert, but I'm not sure where it will be dry and warm enough for us. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance

mtbr member
    1. I generally tune my own skis and never wax, but REI is at least reliable when it comes to service and due to high volume, experienced.
    2. If it has dried up - not a guarantee - and she wants a short hike to camp, Long Lake (opposite side of lake from trail going by it) in the Uintah Range is about a mile in, beautiful, water available, firewood available, great view, flat surface to camp on. Anything local will be crazy busy that weekend, so get there early. It is high altitude, so cold at night. Lots of camping along the Highline Trail, but again YMMV based on how warm we get. Lots of car camping in The Uintahs and Timponogas. If you drive out past Francis, near Kamas there's a reservoir that may not be busy that has car camping, but I can't remember the name. If you're willing to drive up toward Hoback Junction near Jackson Wyoming, there's an obscure and very nice car camping opportunity with a hot spring...PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bump

Thatsgood info, thanks a lot

Anyone else?