Thread: Orem/Provo

More than somewhat.

Orem/Provo

I'll be around for a few days late April (graduation). I really don't want to hang around the Mormon scene... Would it be worth bringing my mountain bike?

It seems that there is a huge DH/FR crowd around there, but I'm more of a XC climber weenie.

Post pics!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Most trails in April are gonna be pretty muddy. There is some nice singletrack up the canyon that you can climb up and bomb down. But it may be muddy. Also the Bonneville shoreline trail is a nice xc ride which will probably be dry. Im more into the DH/FR scene though. I dont know much about xc rides around here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm a XC guy, so I can relate! With all of the snow we had this winter, most of the higher stuff will still be muddy and wet, if not snowy. AF Canyon, Nebo Loop, Provo Canyo, and even the SLC, Ogden and Park City trails are still pretty socked in. The ones that look promising are the previously mentioned Bonneville Shoreline Trail, Five Mile Pass (Lehi / Eagle Mountain), Lambert Park (Alpine), Corner Canyon (Draper) and possibly Yellow Fork (Bluffdale / Herriman). If you don't mind a bit of a drive (about an hour or so), you could check out Antelope Island or Stansbury Island out around the Great Salt Lake.

Still a bit early to tell, so post back a week or two before your trip and you should get something more than just speculation.

More than somewhat.
    Danke!

More than somewhat.
    So, any word on the conditions?

Here in Bozeman we still have 3.5-12 feet of snow covering our trails with more on the way this weekend. Hopefully, you haven't been getting hit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    About the same. We had snow last week, this week, and they're forecasting more for next week. It's not sticking in the valleys, but it's still accumulating on the higher benches and in the mountains. You're still looking at the lower trails.

Lambert Park's open and pretty dry, so that's always an option.

More than somewhat.
    If you lived in Bozeman, Montana would you bring your bike? I've been riding the same 6 mile loop since February, and that loop is an hour from my house.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    If you lived in Bozeman, Montana would you bring your bike? I've been riding the same 6 mile loop since February, and that loop is an hour from my house.
    To answer your question, mabe. Will you be down here for a day or a week? South facing areas like Lambert park should be good, but this is a touch-and-go time of year. Snow today, ride day-after-tomorrow type of thing. I'm sure you know what I'm talkin about, being from a snowy state an all.
    If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to bring my bike, the opportunity to get some strange trail is always enticing, but you can't let the trails back home find out, you know what they say, "Hell hath no fury like a jealous trail's scorn."

More than somewhat.
    I just checked the weather for Orem.... The bike is coming.

Our high today in Bozeman was 17F, with 3 inches of snow. It could be 45 in Orem, and I'd still consider it awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I will be in the 60's on average during the days I figure unless there is a freak cold spell.. I would bring your bike personally...

More than somewhat.
    Are there any trails hitable from town? I don't mind riding 3-5 miles to get there.

I'll be available for riding on Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday all day.

More than somewhat.
    Yellow fork looks like something I want to do...

Does anybody have information on trail conditions around there??

Grizzly
    My favorite loop in the area, that is dry right now is the BST/Frank loops above Timpanogos Park just up Provo Canon. There are several loop options, you could ride for an hour, you could ride for four hours.

www.utahmountainbiking.com

Go to the Utah county section for maps, pictures and other ideas.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    Yellow fork looks like something I want to do...

Does anybody have information on trail conditions around there??
    I haven't been out there this year, but that may be an option. Yellow Fork's at a lower elevation than a lot of trails, and quite a bit of it is South facing, so the snow should melt sooner than later. Rather than driving all the way out there and being disappointed, call the guys over at Infinite Cycles. They're the closest shop to the trail, so they should have a pretty good idea of the trail's condition. I'm also hearing that 5 Mile Pass out in Eagle Mountain is ready to ride. It's a drive out there, and you'll probably end up contending for space with 2 and 4 wheelers, but when desperate...

Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    My favorite loop in the area, that is dry right now is the BST/Frank loops above Timpanogos Park just up Provo Canon.
    Is that the same trail that's also referred to as the "old Provo Canyon race course"? If so, I'd agree. That may be dry by now. Especially since we're supposed to have a significant warm-up begining Thursday.

DISCLAIMER: I neither work or have any financial interest in Infinite Cycles. I've been in there twice, and bought two water bottles, but that's it. They're just the closest shop that I can think of to the Yellow Fork trailhead.

Grizzly
    Quote Originally Posted by PG_Gary
    Is that the same trail that's also referred to as the "old Provo Canyon race course"? If so, I'd agree. That may be dry by now. Especially since we're supposed to have a significant warm-up begining Thursday.
    Yes. It is absolutely dry. I rode it every day last week. The trails above and around the race course are also very dry, and rideable.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

More than somewhat.
    I called I.F. and they told me Lambert Park was the only dry thing around after the snow that fell. LP was fun. I spent 3+ hours riding out there somehow... I rode by myself for half the time getting the "rabbit" out of my system, then hooked up with two diferent groups.

I'm pretty sure I rode every inch of singletrack out there, and then doubled up on most of it. Fun stuff.