mtbr member

one week in Utah. help me fill it.

My family rented a cabin in Kanab next week. my brother and I are hoping to sneak away a day or two and a few of the morning and get some of the best riding your wonderful state has to offer.

We passed through Moab last year and only had time to ride slick rock. I would love to make the drive up for a day and hit up porcupine rim. Do you think that would be worth it?

I have heard some great things about gooseberry mesa an hurricane. Can you direct me toward some of the better trails so we dont waste any time. The rest of the family was thinking of renting mountain bikes for a day to do some easy rides.(none of them ride mountain bikes)

I will be bringing my Ti 29er hardtail. Will i be able to enjoy the trails as much as if I was on a full sus? Coming from PA so im used to rocks and roots but not so much the larger drops.

Thanks in advance. see yall in a few days.
    count your blessings

I'd rather be biking...
    The Rainbow Rim and Arizona trail will be just over an hour drive from kanab and is aweomse singletrack up in the trees looking down into the grand canyon. You could spend two days there and not ride everything.

Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek would be a good bet also being about an hour away.

You could venture to Moab for the whole enchilada but that's gotta be 6 hours or so from there and hey there is a lot of awesome trails just outside of Kanab that will be worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15 View Post
    The Rainbow Rim and Arizona trail will be just over an hour drive from kanab and is aweomse singletrack up in the trees looking down into the grand canyon. You could spend two days there and not ride everything.

Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek would be a good bet also being about an hour away.
    I would also check out thunder mountain trail outside Bryce canyon. All fun rides on a hardtail. There is also some possibly easier riding for the family (paved trail up red canyon, casto canyon atv trail, losee trail).

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    You're also only an hour and half away from Page and the Rimview Trail. It's not well known (I recently rode "fresh tracks" on the trail a couple weeks ago), but it's something different and the views over Lake Powell are spectacular. It's a total of 11 miles and might be more fun as an extended out and back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_adk View Post
    You're also only an hour and half away from Page and the Rimview Trail. It's not well known (I recently rode "fresh tracks" on the trail a couple weeks ago), but it's something different and the views over Lake Powell are spectacular. It's a total of 11 miles and might be more fun as an extended out and back.
    I've only ridden that once but it was a fun trail. Stellar views for sure. The only downer is riding back thru town I ran into a serious patch of goat heads - 2 flats. Gee, thinking about it, I guess Kanab is pretty well situated around some amazing terrain. Have fun.

mtbr member
    thanks for the feedback. that trail overlooking powell sounds great as we will be spending a day in the area and im not much for boating.
    count your blessings