mtbr member

One day, tomorrow in Park City...

I'm from the east coast and prefer flowy trails. I was thinking renting a bike from White Pines and going up Armstrong to MidMountain to Pinecone to Wasatch Crest (would like to see the spine) back down Pinecone to Mid and down Spiro.

Any thoughts on that or other suggestions? Would a hardtail be OK or should I rent a full squish?

Thanks!!!

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Ive ridden with plenty of people on full rigid single speeds, but id say the perfect crest bike is 5-6 in travel. Hope you are a strong rider, 3000 ft elevation gain is significant especially for someone not used to the air.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yes, the elevation is going to be tough. Armstrong begins around 6,850 feet, and the Crest trail tops out at 9,900 feet (twice). If you're flying in from sea level, and attempting to do that climb on the same day, you will need to have some significant aerobic fitness. The oxygen at that elevation range is 70-80% of what you're acclimated to.

If you could shuttle it up to Guardsman Pass, there is a short trail from there to the bottom of Puke Hill. The top of Puke Hill is where Pinecone meets up with the Crest trail. Then, ride out and back to the Spine, and get all of the flowy descent on Pinecone / Spiro. The shop could give you more information on shuttle companies on the PC side.
    Last edited by authalic; 08-30-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbobyjr View Post
    I'm from the east coast and prefer flowy trails. I was thinking renting a bike from White Pines and going up Armstrong to MidMountain to Pinecone to Wasatch Crest (would like to see the spine) back down Pinecone to Mid and down Spiro.

Any thoughts on that or other suggestions? Would a hardtail be OK or should I rent a full squish?

Thanks!!!
    Spiro down is a braking bump washboard, can't stand it. Two alternate routes down from the crest that don't use Spiro:

1. take pincecone down, R on MidMountain, go past Spiro, past where Cresent Mine joins in on the right, 200yrds more to L on Cresent Mine Grade, L on doubletrack back to Park City base.

2. take the crest double-track down for 1/4mile, L on the connector, R on Shadow Lake loop, straight on Keystone, L on Apex, L on double-track for 200yrds, R on Cresent Mine Grade, R on MidMountain for 200yrds, L on Cresent Mine Grade, L on doubletrack back to Park City base.

mtbr member
    To clarify...I have been in Utah since Saturday...so I figured I should be acclimated to the altitude. I was hiking in the Uintas and made it up Bald Mountain, 12,000 feet, with no isses...great hike BTW.

So I went for it today. I rented a Giant Avalanche hardtail and started to climb Armstrong. Lots of huffing and puffing but I got to Midmountain. It wasn't as bad as I thought it may be. Then came Pinecone, or as I call it, the seemingly never ending climb. More huffing and puffing and slow grinding almost made me turn around but another biker urged me to keep going and I'm glad I did. Great views and a welcomed rest I was rewarded with. I was tempted to go to the spine but another biker told me it was at least 1/2 of an hour longer. I was a bit spent so I decided to go back down Pinecone.

Wow...awesome fast descent through aspen and pine. Big smile on my face the whole way down. Mid to Spiro was fun too and yes, Spiro was quite the bumpy wasboard descent but it was quite challenging on the hardtail. I wish I had a full squish here.

All in all, a great ride and well worth the endless climbs. Pinecone is a beautiful trail and quite unlike anything in NJ.

I earned my dinner and full strength beers today...

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    Ive ridden with plenty of people on full rigid single speeds, but id say the perfect crest bike is 5-6 in travel. Hope you are a strong rider, 3000 ft elevation gain is significant especially for someone not used to the air.
    That's an awesome route. I'm going the go the other way though. I rode that loop on a 34lbs Nomad and it's way to much bike for that area - even the crest. Other then "the spine" there really isn't anything on it terribly technical.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbobyjr View Post
    ... Then came Pinecone, or as I call it, the seemingly never ending climb. .....

I earned my dinner and full strength beers today...

as a former flat-lander, I agree with the never ending climb sentiment. and those full strength beers ain't cheap here in the occupied territories!

El Chubasco is about the best post-ride meal I can think of in town, hopefully you made it there while you were in the area.