Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011

One CLOSE call with a porcupine!

I was on a night ride tonight, about 10-11 and while on some single track in tall grass i nearly hit a 3-4 ft porcupine up on the BST/Ensign peak trail. After nearly sh**ting my chamois i quickly dodged it on the trail and watched it from about 20-30 ft away. I was within 1 inch of the thing and i was extremely lucky i didnt pedal strike the damn porcupine, and then end up in ER pulling needles out of my legs. I did not realize how huge they got!

I then realized i have no idea what to do if i see some more serious utah wildlife on the trail, since 99% of the time i ride solo.

I've been here for 2 years and i've seen a decent amount of stuff, most of which just runs away, lizards, mule deer, coyote. What im wondering about is the bigger stuff like elk, moose, bears, bobcats, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was riding PCMR at dusk a few years ago, on a section that crossed through the ski runs then the woods a few times, and during one of the short woods sections I stopped because I saw this huge mass of brown moving just below the trail to my right. "Oh wow, moose calf" I said and looked on. Then I saw a much larger brown mass stand up to my left and I thought "OH SH_T I'M BETWEEN A MOTHER AND IT'S CALF!!!!" and took off and didn't look back. I don't think it charged me but I didn't stick around to find out.

In another story, one of my ski instructor friends had a kid who got sick after eating lunch at a mid-mountain restaurant (not PCMR) and went outside to puke. When my friend found the kid a porcupine was sitting on his lap and eating the puke next to him. He asked if the kid was ok, he said yup, so he asked if he could get up and the kid pushed to porcupine off of him and walked away. Pretty funny. I have never heard of a porcupine as big as you said though, would have been freaky.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Moose 12 inches (felt its breath)
    Bobcats 4 feet
    Bald Eagle 2 feet
    rattlesnakes 2 feet (1 midget)
    skunks 3 feet
    Elk 20 feet
    lynx 25 feet
    Bear 100 feet
    Owls 20 feet

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    I've actually been inside a cougar. She ate me alive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^^^ This guy is awesome!

Mtn Biker Machinist

Skunk Spray

I was riding the Bonneville Shoreline Trail in Ogden and came around a corner and a baby skunk was right in the trail. It backed up, and turned tail to run (bad news!).

Thought I had missed getting sprayed. Nope, it got my front fork and wheel, and a tiny bit on my pants. Garage sure smelled bad, & I had to air out my clothes and wash the bike with tomatoe juice.

I have recently been running and riding early (starting around 5:15 am) and have seen much more wildlife, fox, deer, skunk, etc, recently.

frog

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    I was riding the Bonneville Shoreline Trail in Ogden and came around a corner and a baby skunk was right in the trail. It backed up, and turned tail to run (bad news!).

Thought I had missed getting sprayed. Nope, it got my front fork and wheel, and a tiny bit on my pants. Garage sure smelled bad, & I had to air out my clothes and wash the bike with tomatoe juice.

I have recently been running and riding early (starting around 5:15 am) and have seen much more wildlife, fox, deer, skunk, etc, recently.

frog
    A very large rattler struck at me yesterday; fortunately it missed. They like to hang out above the 36th street water tank (I've seen them there before). I also saw a wild turkey there a couple of weeks ago.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Wow!

Thanks for the heads up! That is the way I usually access the Shoreline, and not far from where the skunk got me.

frog

alien exchange student

Brush with a cougar

Was in a local eatery/bar a few years back when I had a scary encounter with a cougar. In the end, she just tried to toy with me a bit and went on her way. Still, I felt lucky to get out alive.
    More riding tips than the Kama Sutra!

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider Mel View Post
    Was in a local eatery/bar a few years back when I had a scary encounter with a cougar. In the end, she just tried to toy with me a bit and went on her way. Still, I felt lucky to get out alive.
    Was it liquid Joes? I think there is a cougar den around there.