Thread: Ogden area BST

mtbr member

Ogden area BST

Anyone ridden the Ogden area BST? Is it dry? How rideable is it?

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    There's still snow on the lower trails. I live by St. Josephs, and we still have snow in our yard; we got pounded pretty hard this year.

KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I road today from the North Ogden divide to 12 Ave and it's perfectly dry.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I've been up 12th St to the fire road, but other than that, I have never rode the North Ogden BST. How are the trails North of 12th. I know that Ogden Trails Network has built a new trails out that way. Is there much singletrack, or is it all fire roads? I may have to check it out either way.

KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    [QUOTE=wookie]I've been up 12th St to the fire road, but other than that, I have never rode the North Ogden BST. How are the trails North of 12th. I know that Ogden Trails Network has built a new trails out that way. Is there much singletrack, or is it all fire roads? I may have to check it out either way.[/QUOT

Besides that fire road, the rest north of 12th is all single track. I don't know what's north of the divide. I've only been up there once at night and lost the trail.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the info KAH, but could you tell me more about the BST North trail. How far is it from 12th ST to the divide. What percentage is singletrack vs. doubletrack, and how is the trail? Have you been on any of the newer trail? Thanks in advance!

KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've only lived here since last October so I don't know new vs. old trails. To me it's all new. From 12st to the divide is about 10 miles. The north BST has a few pretty techy rock sections, but pretty easy overall. It's about 95% single track.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by KAH
    I've only lived here since last October so I don't know new vs. old trails. To me it's all new. From 12st to the divide is about 10 miles. The north BST has a few pretty techy rock sections, but pretty easy overall. It's about 95% single track.
    What is the topo like? Where would you park to do an out and back? The North Ogden Divide side, or the 12th St. side?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've ridden the BST 4 days this past week. Everything from 20th-27th street is dry. You can ride up to the taylor canyon split (the higher one), but the trail down to 29th is still snowy. Above the taylor canyon split (heading to waterfall and strongs is too snowy as well.) Haven't ridden down to rainbow gardens yet, still looked snowy and didn't want to try. The trail from 36th-29th is also snowy, several long snow patches to walk through.
    It will be all rideable in a week or two.

I also road 12st north a week or two ago, dry, but too many goat-heads. Got flats. Have since gone to tubeless and no problems. Only ride the 12st north bst if you have tubeless or you will get thorns!

Also road Kaysville BST.... a little snowy in parts but mostly rideable until the end (north end). Ride from the south to north until you get to a snow patch too long to walk through, or just walk it.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by sessions22
    I also road 12st north a week or two ago, dry, but too many goat-heads. Got flats. Have since gone to tubeless and no problems. Only ride the 12st north bst if you have tubeless or you will get thorns!
    I'm tubeless, but with Mavic 819 and UST Nobby Nic tires. No sealant. I guess I'll need to put some sealant in there. I was just hoping to avoid the whole sealant mess.

KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    What is the topo like? Where would you park to do an out and back? The North Ogden Divide side, or the 12th St. side?
    I always start at 1100 St. That's the North Ogden Nature Preserve (or something like that) and start climbing and heading south towards 12th.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by KAH
    I always start at 1100 St. That's the North Ogden Nature Preserve (or something like that) and start climbing and heading south towards 12th.
    What about the section between 3100N (North Ogden Divide) and 1100N?