Thread: Ogden area?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Ogden area?

Thinking of making a move to Utah and Ogden is leading the thought process currently, the MTB scene looks strong so how is the rest of life there? Jobs (particularly in IT)? Housing? Things that are great? Things that are not so great? I am a native of southern AZ so I would freeze but am looking to set up in Utah while maintaining my place here in PHX for at least a while (currently a hired gun for IT consulting and sales spending my time in AZ/NM/CO so I have flexibility here). I am an Air Force reservist too so Hill immediately caught my attention, how is the base perceived in the area? Thanks to all input in advance.

nrdbomber
    I just moved here to Ogden about 3 months ago. For the last few years I had been living in Seattle and Portland. So far, I love Ogden! At first glance, it seems a bit ghetto to some people who are used to snobby fancy suburbs, but there's some great history to this town. There is the great historical 25th street filled with local shops and restaurants, some rad museums, holiday celebrations, a summer farmers market, cross country trails out your back door, MUP trails through town alongside the rivers, the state's premier indoor climbing gym, natural hot springs, VERY affordable housing, commuter trains to SLC... I could go on.

Cons would include the weather extremes (but that provides true 4 seasons and winter skiing 20 minutes away), some rundown or vacant storefront areas of town (what city doesn't have that?), and it can be a bit harder to find a wide selection of great ethnic foods and coffee shops (compared to say, Portland or Seattle).

Hill AFB has a great reputation, and in my opinion, one of the best aerospace museums in the country. They even have some incredible government surplus auctions staged from the base. I often see fighter jets flying low over Ogden on their way back to Hill AFB. I'm a US Army veteran myself, and have only heard good things about the base from a now civilian standpoint.

It would be worth a trip up here if you're seriously considering moving here. Maybe schedule it around some nice weather? It snows here throughout winter, but the sun definitely shines more than clouds obscure! There are many reasons why famous companies like Rossignol, Solomon, Atomic, Descente, Scott, Enve Composites, Quality Bicycle Products...etc. relocated here!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ogden area?-snowcommuteresize.jpg  

Last edited by nrdbomber; 12-20-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Snowbasin has great singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the detailed input NRD...... As omens go, my first love is motocross and I follow the sport religiously and it was just announced that Miller Motorsports Park is getting a National on August 17th 2013!! The park is just south of SLC but WELL within easy driving distance from Ogden area! I am also big into NASA and racing my Subaru so MMP was already on my radar! I am now having to hunt for negative reasons to disregard the area (other than snow and ice! I will be paying a visit this spring and if things keep going my way on this, I would look to put an offer on a house in the summer in time for the fall school year. Been looking and the home prices are really looking good. I am starting to focus on the South Ogden. Washington Terrance, and Riverdale area. What do you guys think of these areas, decent? To be avoided? Any better zip codes to look at?

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I live in Ogden & highly recommend living on the East bench, above Harrison. The neighborhood is adjacent to all of the trailheads. The homes and neighborhood are awesome; I can't imagine living anywhere else. You can squeeze a 10-20 mile bike ride in every day from your front door.

I am also on the Ogden Trails Network committee and administer their FB page here: http://www.facebook.com/OgdenTrailsNetwork If you have any questions, let me know.

I also work at HAFB. I currently work for the 75th CES as a civilian. I've worked for the 388th FS (active duty), 419th FS (reservist), and 309th AMXG, so I can help you with any questions about HAFB, so let me know.

Another nice thing about Ogden is it's diversity. It's full of different races, religions, and political affiliations-something you won't find in some of the other cities you mentioned. I'm originally from CT and miss good food, but Ogden has some good offerings. Utah people like their chain restaurants!

Good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
    Snowbasin has great singletrack.
    My favorite Utah ski resort...great boarding in the Strawberry Bowl area

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I also live in Ogden and can recommend the east bench area. I love being able to hop on the trails without having to load my bike on the car. I went for a great ride this morning and despite the cold temps, the trails were great.The food scene may not be on par with other places but it is getting better.

nrdbomber
    I "third" the east bench area. My friends recommended that's where I move, and I'm glad that I listened. Trails out my back door, close to ski resorts, great views, and it's just up the way from historic 25th street!
    We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

@trailgrinder
    I live a little in Layton and always ride the BST in spring and fall. Basin is one if my favorite paces to ride in the state. No crowds, great singletrack and close. Not to mention southern skyline and Ben lomond. You also are close to pine view for the summer water sports I have lived in utah my whole life and the Solomon Center has really cleaned up the area.

@trailgrinder
    Look at south Ogden too. I don't know what your price range is but it can vary from affordable to the million dollar mansions. You also get great medical facilities near by and a university to mix it up

@trailgrinder
    If you like motor cross you can ride out west of I-15 at the park right by smith and Edwards. Or you can head to north salt lake just off of 215 and redwood at that motocross park. Plenty of riding for the dirt bike and they will even permit motos on some nice trails around here.

Quote Originally Posted by cjaghblb View Post
    Thanks for the detailed input NRD...... As omens go, my first love is motocross and I follow the sport religiously and it was just announced that Miller Motorsports Park is getting a National on August 17th 2013!! The park is just south of SLC but WELL within easy driving distance from Ogden area! I am also big into NASA and racing my Subaru so MMP was already on my radar! I am now having to hunt for negative reasons to disregard the area (other than snow and ice! I will be paying a visit this spring and if things keep going my way on this, I would look to put an offer on a house in the summer in time for the fall school year. Been looking and the home prices are really looking good. I am starting to focus on the South Ogden. Washington Terrance, and Riverdale area. What do you guys think of these areas, decent? To be avoided? Any better zip codes to look at?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Dirt bikes are also allowed on some of the really great single track around north ogden with good access from the North Ogden Divide. The mountain bike/hike trail system in the area is really big and relatively low traffic compared to the Park City area. I would recommend housing on the East bench in Ogden as well. Other housing areas to consider are the layton/fruit heights/kaysville east benches as well as the towns just south of 84 for nicely priced housing with easy access to both Ogden and SLC.

@trailgrinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownni View Post
    Dirt bikes are also allowed on some of the really great single track around north ogden with good access from the North Ogden Divide. The mountain bike/hike trail system in the area is really big and relatively low traffic compared to the Park City area. I would recommend housing on the East bench in Ogden as well. Other housing areas to consider are the layton/fruit heights/kaysville east benches as well as the towns just south of 84 for nicely priced housing with easy access to both Ogden and SLC.
    Agree 100% trails up here are dead compared to slc and PC. Plus within an hour drive you have access to lc and PC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Continues to get better

I really like living up here in the Ogden area. I live near south ogden close to the university and the neighborhood is great and it is about 8 minutes to the trail head grinding up the old hills. East Bench is great, but south ogden is great as well. Ogden itself is becoming more and more an outdoor venue with many awesome companies moving here and some pretty cool events choosing this as their home. Xterra National Championship runs right out the backdoor at snowbasin for example.
    I have lived in ogden for nearly 18 years and can say it has changed a lot. More trails are being put in and a lot of good people are working on making Ogden an awesome outdoor hub. It has been pretty neat to watch it's development and I can only see it getting better from here.
    Good luck on the search!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you're looking for a bike central spot might I suggest Draper - utterly amazing trail network (all types of riding, DH/XC etc...), plus great Moto shop right at the bottom of the hill, easy and quick access to 5 Mile Pass for riding your moto, and right in the middle of Utah's IT Mecca.

Ogden's nice, I work up here and even bike commute - lunch rides are great, but there's nothing in Utah that compares to the quality of trails right out your front door in Draper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've got to agree with the Draper recommendation. The same folks -- Alpine Trails -- who built most of the Park City area trails (including Mid-Mountain, Flying Dog, Armstrong, Pinecone, etc.), also built many of the Draper trails (Ghost Falls, Clark's, Ann's, BST parts, the bike park and the DH), and they are great to ride.

I've been going to Moab with a moto (and MTB) for years -- it's less than a four hour drive, and there are endless trails, with endless variety. It's a great place to go during mud season in the north. Cooler temps, plenty of places to stay, and great riding.

I've also been racing at Miller for a few years now, so if you need an intro to the place, PM me for details. One of the shops out there recently acquired a CART car and a former Damon Hill F1 car, which they are preparing to run this spring. Should be a pretty interesting season! (I was just out there today, and saw a Lexus LFA parked in the lot -- always some interesting stuff there.)