Flaccid Member

North Rim Grand Canyon

Anyone been there lately, and if so, is it dry, passable by car, and rideable yet with the snow pack melted? Posting in the UTAH section because I'd have to do St George or Hurricane to get there via Kanab.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Is this open yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Critical Backcountry Updates: Including Trail Closures and Restrictions - Grand Canyon National Park

Report from the North Rim
    date posted Apr 11, 2012

The North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park will reopen for the summer season on May 15, 2012.

Locations near the 8,000 foot level such as Pt. Sublime, high elevation access to Nankoweap, and the North Bass Trailhead will not be accessible until road beds have dried and downed trees have been removed.

Road Conditions for Remote Trailheads
    date posted Apr 5, 2012

In general remote backcountry roads in the 5,000 to 7,000 foot range are now passable. This includes roads leading to Tuweep, Indian Hollow, Kanab Creek Wilderness, Lower Nankoweap Trailhead (access via Highway 89A), and South Bass Trailhead. Monument Point/Bill Hall Trailhead still had sizable drifts blocking access as of last week, but conditions are expected to improve quickly.

Remote backcountry trailheads in the 8,000 foot range located on the North Rim are not currently accessible by vehicle. This includes North Bass/Swamp Point, Point Sublime, Widforss Trail, Cape Final, and the Upper Nankoweap Trailhead (access via Highway 67). During wet years these locations are often not accessible until mid-June due to mud and down trees over the roads. But if the current weather pattern holds, and we do not receive significant snow in April or May, it is possible that some or all of these areas could open to vehicles by mid-May.

The North Rim proper, accessed via Highway 67 will not open until mid-May (usually May 15th). Please check with the Backcountry Information Center prior to departure to inquire about conditions.

Hikers considering traveling dirt roads to remote trailheads should contact the North Kaibab Ranger District of the Kaibab National Forest at 928-643-7395 for the North Rim, the Tusayan Ranger District of the Kaibab National Forest at 928-635-4061 for the South Rim or the Backcountry Information Center for current conditions.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Bike Snob
    Thanks Brodie.

They had very little snow this year, I am planning a Rainbow Rim excursion on June 9.

Flaccid Member
    Thanks for that, very helpful... +rep for ya.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Im hitting it on Jun 4th.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Im hitting it on Jun 4th.
    Oooh goody, a guinea pig. Let me know how that goes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    Oooh goody, a guinea pig. Let me know how that goes.

I'm going to ride it like a prom date....that's pretty much it.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr dismember

Open

The guys in the Arizona forum say it is open. I was going to do it May 26 but they say the AZT East View Trail is better. I've done RR twice already. Certainly a great ride.