mtbr member
    Nov 2011

New Trail in Moab (EKG)

This past fall (2011), there has been a new trail made in Moab, UT called EKG. It is in the Klondike Bluffs area about 15 miles north of Moab. This trail reminds me a little bit of Gooseberry Mesa in St. George. EKG is a must the next time you ride in Moab. The loop we did was about 15 miles. It will turn into a Moab classic. My father and I wrote a full description of the trail on a biking blog I have. It includes a detailed description and will have some photos. Check it out. You will enjoy it.

pedalfactor.wordpress.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Trail in Moab (EKG)-ekg-small-climb.jpg  

Last edited by maddogracer10; 11-30-2011 at 07:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Rode it last week....honestly, most of it felt like "forced" trail....not very flowy, as if it were routed without much thought to simply have a new trail where there was none before. Deadman's Ridge, Bar B, and Longbranch were routed way, WAY better, by comparison.

Just my opinion, though....it is nice to have more trails being put in! Glad you enjoyed it!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder View Post
    Rode it last week....honestly, most of it felt like "forced" trail....not very flowy, as if it were routed without much thought to simply have a new trail where there was none before. Deadman's Ridge, Bar B, and Longbranch were routed way, WAY better, by comparison.

Just my opinion, though....it is nice to have more trails being put in! Glad you enjoyed it!
    I like EKG. I could see how maybe there might be some anti flow, but IMO that's sort of the nature of the slickrock on the Klondike area. Not as smooth as the Navajo SS areas and not as chunky ledgy as the Kayenta - the latter be my person fave. Still worth a spin and a much more favorable route then any alternative. It's 99% rock and rides just a little better from N>S if you ask me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I rode EKG a couple weeks ago for the first time. We rode EKG up Mega Steps and then down Salt Wash (think it's called that". Salt Wash is just that a wash. It doesn't make fun for a downhill. Next time I would ride in the opposite direction and come down mega steps and ride back EKG. At the end of the day, it's one of the rides you check off on your list after you've done the handful of popular rides that give Moab it's epic reputation. I think it's great Moab has put in this new trail along with the newbies Pipe Dream and Mag 7,
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemtnbiking View Post
    I rode EKG a couple weeks ago for the first time. We rode EKG up Mega Steps and then down Salt Wash (think it's called that". Salt Wash is just that a wash. It doesn't make fun for a downhill. Next time I would ride in the opposite direction and come down mega steps and ride back EKG. At the end of the day, it's one of the rides you check off on your list after you've done the handful of popular rides that give Moab it's epic reputation. I think it's great Moab has put in this new trail along with the newbies Pipe Dream and Mag 7,
    You rode down "little salty" not "salt wash" run parallel to sovereign and is actually quite fun. As for little salt, the top 2/3rds is indeed a wash. Makes for a good route to the top of the bluff if needed but if you are headed down I will certainly choose either baby steps or megasteps are a whole lot better.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.587601,-109.565473

a dad
    Jan 2004
    rode pipe dream last week...

seems it was a pipe dream to think there would be a good trail in Moab that isn't porcupine.. what a flowless boring trail... oh well..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post

seems it was a pipe dream to think there would be a good trail in Moab that isn't porcupine.. what a flowless boring trail... oh well..
    You said it, the riding around here BLOWS!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post

What a totally inane thing to say. You should be happy just for the fact that there's a new trail there. So sorry that Mother Nature didn't make an exact replica of the terrain at Porcupine. You wouldn't have made that comment if you had taken the time to help build the trail.
    OVER the rocks, not around

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just my words, CanyonDad.

How about comparing apples to apples? Porky (or TWE) is an epic ride that people come from all over the world to do, while Pipe Dream is a fun little thing for locals to do on lunch break, or first day ride for visitors, and as such it more than satisfies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Agreed on PipeDream, just happy that there's new singletrack.
    OVER the rocks, not around

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Is there much vert out there? Any dedicated DH's or climbs or is EKG mostly short ups, short downs?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Is there much vert out there? Any dedicated DH's or climbs or is EKG mostly short ups, short downs?
    No, EKG just traverses the bluff and connects megasteps with the babysteps. What little vert it does have are short and steep. Certainly a good work out. Babysteps North and Megsteps are your major DH's or the bluff and are still nothing compared to PR, Amasa and many others...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Edit: jwind beat me to it.

EKG is rolling. It's a connector/alternative trail to get you back to the TH after climbing Baby Steps and descending Mega Steps or the other way around. Overall the Klondike area is not characterized by big climbs/DH's, but rather moderate to advanced XC single tracks, slickrock and jeep roads.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    No, EKG just traverses the bluff and connects megasteps with the babysteps. What little vert it does have are short and steep. Certainly a good work out. Babysteps North and Megsteps are your major DH's or the bluff and are still nothing compared to PR, Amasa and many others...
    copy that.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CanyonDad View Post
    What a totally inane thing to say. You should be happy just for the fact that there's a new trail there. So sorry that Mother Nature didn't make an exact replica of the terrain at Porcupine. You wouldn't have made that comment if you had taken the time to help build the trail.
    Just my opinion so that others get the true beta on it.. I have helped build many trails and I am sure you might ride them some day too, but I typically don't help build out of town trails, not many do...
    BBZ

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Maybe if the sign didn't make it sound like an epic technical adventure I wouldn't have been so disappointed.. but it does say "advanced, technical trail", which it is not..
    BBZ