Thread: New Trail

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

New Trail

Anyone know what the new trail on Mid Mountain between Armstrong and Spiro is and where it goes? Looks like it might head up to the Crest. It had a do not enter sign on it but know it look open.

mtbr member
    I believe the name of it is Pinecone. It will extend up to the crest and top out right after puke hill. Should be awesome!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    That is correct. Exciting year, finally a really nice climb to the crest from the PC side (no offense to anyone who enjoyed the Powerline/gravel road climb to Scott's).

mtbr member
    From the Mountain Trails Foundation FB page on 6/12/12:
    --
    The New Pinecone Trail project, funding and management by Snyderville Basin Special Recreation District, is nearing completion. Construction team, Alpine Trails, states that the current target opening is LATE JUNE! For those not in the know, the new Pinecone trail will leave from Mid-Mountain Trail just south of where Armstrong Trail comes up. The trail will continue up to the top of Puke-Hill (or the beginning of the Crest Trail). It is destined to quickly become a Park City Classic - stay tuned for details on a Grand Opening celebration.
    --

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, it's the new Pinecone trail. We've just finished our final clean-up, and the trail is pretty much ready to go. Basin Recreation is the managing entity, and it's up to them to decide when they want to do a formal "grand opening." Until then, since we're no longer rolling rocks or dropping trees, it's safe to check it out.

Alpine Trails

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Nine mile dh

Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    That is correct. Exciting year, finally a really nice climb to the crest from the PC side (no offense to anyone who enjoyed the Powerline/gravel road climb to Scott's).
    I think it might be better to look at it the other direction. Now there is a nine mile downhill run from the top of guardsman's. Maybe we need to do some work on spiro so it will be more fun at speed? I'm not sure this is a good way to do things, but if enough people start bombing it, maybe we can start seeing a couple more downhill bike only trails.

mtbr member
    Sweet!

mtbr member
    Climbed Pine Cone yesterday. It's still a tad soft (compared to Armstrong) and will be until we get some rain, but it's getting some traffic and packing in nicely. I was surprised by how packed down it already was.

Kudos to Alpine Trails for building a great trail. Nice work guys!

mtbr member
    Yes, it's a nice addition and a great way to get up to the ridge without having to deal with Puke Hill.

Team Sanchez
    I rode Pinecone on Saturday. From Park City resort, I logged 9.1 miles to the top of Puke Hill with 4000 ft. of climbing. We then proceeded along the Crest, dropped down Ambush, back across Mid Mountain trail back to PC resort. 32 total miles with 5200 ft. of climbing. We didn't go up and over Iron Man, we went around it. Epic ride, and that initial climb up Armstrong and Pinecone was so nice.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon View Post
    I rode Pinecone on Saturday. From Park City resort, I logged 9.1 miles to the top of Puke Hill with 4000 ft. of climbing. We then proceeded along the Crest, dropped down Ambush, back across Mid Mountain trail back to PC resort. 32 total miles with 5200 ft. of climbing. We didn't go up and over Iron Man, we went around it. Epic ride, and that initial climb up Armstrong and Pinecone was so nice.
    Agreed man, that up route was fantastic, can't wait to try it again since the rain. Even when it was powdery it wasn't bad on a 35 lb trailbike. I ended up riding out to the spine then turning back and riding the crest in the other direction because Pinecone seemed like it was going to be too much fun to miss heading the other direction. As expected it was a blast. No idea on total milage or vert, maybe 28ish miles and 4800ish vert? All smiles all the way regardless.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa