New to St. George

Printable View

• 08-19-2012
    thmslilly
    New to St. George
    Hello St. George area riders,

I'm in day three of my time here in St. George. I just relocated here from the midwest to take up an internship with the BLM. Just wondering if anyone would like to ride some trails? I'm very new to the desert riding (obviously) but think that I can handle much of it, except maybe this heat :madmax: .. I'd like to find some people to ride with and show me around town and around all these great trails.

Happy riding,
    Tom
  • 08-19-2012
    can't get right
    Welcome Tom, what cyclist doesn't enjoy having a friend in the BLM office?

Get used to getting up early in the summer and riding before it gets hot. The other 8 months you can pretty much ride whenever you want.

I mostly ride pavement in the summer but come October I will look you up.
  • 08-19-2012
    Hurkinite
    I usually ride Church Rocks a few times a week about 6:30 - 6:45 AM. It's just a quick hour or less ride before work but its nice and cool.

Friday and Saturday mornings I ride the mesas above Hurricane for a few hours. If I feel like braving the evening heat I ride Jem and Gould's on weeknights.

Over The Edge bike shop in Hurricane usually puts together a group ride on Saturdays that starts at 8:00 AM. The next one won't be until September but there's usually a decent group that shows up. The ride is usually posted on their facebook page.

I'm kinda slow and usually ride alone but send me a PM if you want to ride. I'm on the trails almost every day.
  • 08-19-2012
    Moosey
    When I was in St. George visiting family I hit Bearclaw Poppy trail. I'm a DH/FR guy, but it was still tons of fun. I sent the big drops, and my dad went around all that on his janky old XC bike. We both had tons of funs. There's a lot of different line choices to spice things up. Definitely worth checking out. Just google it. it's easy to find.

It's pretty busy out there so finding someone to ride with is easy.
  • 08-20-2012
    Pedalfaraway
    Rrbc
    Red Rock Bicycles does group rides as well. They announce them on facebook, and maybe on thier website. You could just stop in and ask when the nest group ride is.
  • 08-20-2012
    QuenteK25
    I'm down to ride when I get out of my cast.
  • 08-20-2012
    thmslilly
    Thanks for all the replies people! I'd enjoy riding with any of you! Currently I'm settling into the new job and the getting used to the heat, but let me know if some rides are happening and I'll try to join.

Tom
  • 08-21-2012
    IrideBikes801
    I just moved to St. George as well, but for schooling. I like DH/FR. I went in to Red Rock they other day and they said they usually put a group together for those types of rides on Sundays. Not sure what type of riding you are into, but if its DH/FR then PM me because I need people to go with other then on sundays!
  • 08-21-2012
    thmslilly
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IrideBikes801 View Post
    I just moved to St. George as well, but for schooling. I like DH/FR. I went in to Red Rock they other day and they said they usually put a group together for those types of rides on Sundays. Not sure what type of riding you are into, but if its DH/FR then PM me because I need people to go with other then on sundays!

Well I'm not much into freeride, but I try to ride DH a bit.. I own a SC Blur as my only bike so I obviously can't ride pure DH at high speed, but I try to get goin pretty good depending on what the track is like. So yea, if my bike and my abilities can handle the track, I'm up for some aggressive terrain riding!
  • 08-21-2012
    IrideBikes801
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thmslilly View Post
    Well I'm not much into freeride, but I try to ride DH a bit.. I own a SC Blur as my only bike so I obviously can't ride pure DH at high speed, but I try to get goin pretty good depending on what the track is like. So yea, if my bike and my abilities can handle the track, I'm up for some aggressive terrain riding!

I'm on a Demo 7, but considering as I've only been riding for a few months now, I'm pretty sure you could keep up pretty well (if not be faster)! I'm want to head out this weekend... Are you/anyone else interested???
  • 08-23-2012
    QuenteK25
    Once this cast comes off my right arm I'm game. Been working on improving my DH/FR skills and can show you some trails.
  • 08-23-2012
    thmslilly
    I'm working on fixing my bike right now, if it's fixed then I'm definitely up to ride this weekend.
    My cell is (616) 914-1156 and the name is Tom.
  • 08-23-2012
    QuenteK25
    Guessing from your username, full name Thomas Lilly?

Went to school with a Thomas Lilly in Sacramento....
  • 08-23-2012
    thmslilly
    Quote:

Originally Posted by QuenteK25 View Post
    Guessing from your username, full name Thomas Lilly?

Went to school with a Thomas Lilly in Sacramento....

Yep, That's my name but I'm afraid I'm not from Sacramento. Just moved out here from Michigan..
  • 08-25-2012
    thmslilly
    Anyone want to ride tomorrow (Sunday) Let me know. (616) 914-1156
  • 01-13-2013
    thmslilly
    Hello everyone. I'm trying to re-ignite this thread. I'm finally healthy after fighting a knee injury this fall. If anyone would like to ride, XC, AM, light freeride, or cruise bike paths, I'm down to ride! Message me or respond here. I'd love to get in contact with some riders around here. Riding solo has gotten old!

Thanks,
    Tom
  • 02-03-2013
    Velvetnewbie
    I ride most weekends and once it stays light long enough a few week nights. I like to mix it up. Guacamole/Gooseberry/Little Creek some Saturdays. Grafton/C-Trail/Barrels type stuff other Saturdays. Usually a quick loop on Paradise/Owens Loop/Church Rocks on week nights. Anyone ever wants to ride let me know.
  • 02-04-2013
    thmslilly
    Velvet, I'd love to ride some time.. I'm finally pretty healthy and have a functioning bike so I've been riding 4-6 times a week lately. I'm in the same boat too.. Up for anything on the weekends, around town after work during the week (Paradise typically). Message me if you'd like to schedule a ride!