mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A new RECORD !!!!!!!!

Jan, 1 2012 at 12:01 am wil be the earliest the Bobseld (and the rest of the north BST) (and lots of other trails)) have ever been open. We owe this great accomplisment to BP, Exxon Mobil, the United States Goverment, George Bush, everyone who drives a dodge Ram, and all the other great people and companies who have been tireless supporters of big oil and global warming. I would also like to thank General Motors and Goodyear tires for buying and closing Salt Lake Citys trolley system in the 1950's and replacing it with GM manfactured buses that burn lots of gasoline and use goodyear tires.

On a serious note the BST trail is in amazing shape. rode from Memory to bobsled today and conditions could not be better. Hit it this week it can't last much longer.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Jan, 1 2012 at 12:01 am wil be the earliest the Bobseld (and the rest of the north BST) (and lots of other trails)) have ever been open. We owe this great accomplisment to BP, Exxon Mobil, the United States Goverment, George Bush, everyone who drives a dodge Ram, and all the other great people and companies who have been tireless supporters of big oil and global warming. I would also like to thank General Motors and Goodyear tires for buying and closing Salt Lake Citys trolley system in the 1950's and replacing it with GM manfactured buses that burn lots of gasoline and use goodyear tires.

On a serious note the BST trail is in amazing shape. rode from Memory to bobsled today and conditions could not be better. Hit it this week it can't last much longer.
    How come my SUV doesn't count? I'm doing my part! I use heat in the winter, hot water, burn coal to light my house, talk on the internet and various other activities.

Paste eater
    well, at least it helps my recreation habit. Almost stripped down to a tshirt today in Moab...

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    I hit it 2 weeks ago and where the spring hits it there was about a 100 ft ice slab down the center of the trail. Ill have to give it another go today.

Ride and Smile
    I was thinking that he was kidding about bobsled, let us know...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Not at all kidding about bobsled.

I rode it yesterday 12-31-11 and it was in great shape. I took the Old entrance and had to walk one 20 foot section that was wet. It looked like the newer entrance was ugly. Going to ride ot again here in a few minutes. Honestly it's in the best shape that it has been in since spring 2009 when it got all rutted.

PM me

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    I rode it yesterday 12-31-11 and it was in great shape. I took the Old entrance and had to walk one 20 foot section that was wet. It looked like the newer entrance was ugly. Going to ride ot again here in a few minutes. Honestly it's in the best shape that it has been in since spring 2009 when it got all rutted.
    I'll echo this, old entrance down was great yesterday. Some of the berms lower down are even getting a little loose, I had some interesting, unexpected front wheel drifts on a couple of them.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Just rode it yesterday, great condition if u dont start @ the bench.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Does it seem problematic to anyone else that whenever the weather patterns do not meet peoples expectations that they assume it is global warming? Perhaps the propaganda has reached new levels. I am not saying that global warming is not happening, I am just saying that people buy into global warming like it is a religion. And by the way do you really think there is anything that any of us can do about it? Yes, I know you will say drive less, get an electric car (by the way electric cars have to be charged by coal combustion, get over it Prius owners) etc. But all of the conservation efforts any of us as a combined people make to reduce carbon emissions will be wiped out by the growth of China and other developing countries and any time a volcano goes off. So there you have it . . . drive your car to you local trailhead and enjoy a bike ride, because that snow is coming and it is just a matter of time before the forums turn to biatching about nowhere to ride due to the cold and snow. Happy new year.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos View Post
    Does it seem problematic to anyone else that whenever the weather patterns do not meet peoples expectations that they assume it is global warming? Perhaps the propaganda has reached new levels. I am not saying that global warming is not happening, I am just saying that people buy into global warming like it is a religion. And by the way do you really think there is anything that any of us can do about it? Yes, I know you will say drive less, get an electric car (by the way electric cars have to be charged by coal combustion, get over it Prius owners) etc. But all of the conservation efforts any of us as a combined people make to reduce carbon emissions will be wiped out by the growth of China and other developing countries and any time a volcano goes off. So there you have it . . . drive your car to you local trailhead and enjoy a bike ride, because that snow is coming and it is just a matter of time before the forums turn to biatching about nowhere to ride due to the cold and snow. Happy new year.
    No, but it often worries me to hear the words propaganda and global warming used in the same sentence. I hear you on the coal and electricity. Happy new year back at ya.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I dont think the trails being dry has anything to do with George Bush, government, or global warming, but the fact it has been the driest December due to shifting weather patterns and lack of snow is the key

there have been plenty of cold days this winter but the storms have been going north and south leaving us high and dry...Southern Utah has gotten a couple big snow dumps this year, Jackson just recently got a big dump, looks like Whistler is getting some big snow dumps as well...

anyways Im glad to be able to Mountain bike while we are waiting to shred the pow pow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    I dont think the trails being dry has anything to do with George Bush, government, or global warming, but the fact it has been the driest December due to shifting weather patterns and lack of snow is the key
    This theory gets my vote. Global warming, not so much. Note that I'm not saying it isn't happening, but I don't think that a 1-2* increase in overall global temps is the reason I went to lunch today without a jacket. So in that light, I'm loving it! Great snow free and fairly warm rides last week and yesterday, can't beat it.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Guess I should have used the green scarcasm face

Just wanted to share how great it it to ride in a light jacket and sweat in jan 3.

PM me

mtbr member
    Well, you should know how sensitive us Utahn's are about our big trucks and accusations of contributions to global warming!

I'm with you on the riding conditions this week, however!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Well, you should know how sensitive us Utahn's are about our big trucks and accusations of contributions to global warming!
    And we Utahns believe in over populating the planet, even if the planet can't handle it.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    When I was cruising the perfect singletrack on the the Ogden BST, I didn't care why the weather was so warm, all I cared about was RIDING on dry trails Jan 2nd! Best day of riding since late summer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A new RECORD !!!!!!!!-100_0580.jpg  

A new RECORD !!!!!!!!-100_0588.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just got into mountain biking this last year and figured I'd be screwed with cabin fever this winter. I can't believe how great this weather has been for biking. I ride at Lambert Park and try to get out there 1-2 times per week. I just bought a new Stumpjumper 29er in November (end of year closeout) so I'm glad I get a chance to use it!

Assuming we eventually get snow, when do you usually start riding again? March? April?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

the previous 2 years were the earliest our ski resort here in Boise opened up. Now this year
    is the opposite. It is just weather, always changing, never predicable. Oh ya, the last 2 years of the Bush administration had a majority rule of democrats in the house and senate. Just for information purposes.