Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Freeride trail in SLC/PC area

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  KRob 
#1 ·
Just wanted to post up an FYI that the Road to Arcylon freeride trail is now open. The trail is located near the top of Parley's Summit on the south side of I-80. Details on the trail, directions, and even a couple of short videos are posted here -> https://basinrecreation.org/north_basin.html

I mentioned this trail in another thread but it's buried in pages of discussion and feel it deserves its own thread. WAFTA has been working with Basin Recreation, notably Bob Radke of Bob's Basin has been instrumental in working with us on bringing this trail to life. It's the first of its kind in the area, machine built, hand shaped, approximately 5' wide and full of jumps and berms. All gaps and larger stunts are optional so no need to stay away if you prefer to keep your tires on the ground, you can still enjoy railing berms and pumping rollers. The trail is best on on a long travel trail bike but we've had people up there on everything from hardtails to full DH bikes having a good time. The trail is accessed by pedaling up from a lower trail head and then making loops, sort of a lollipop. The climb is fairly mellow and I've seen plenty of big bikes come up it but it is about a 20 minute climb.

Please note that we are still working on tuning certain sections so keep an eye out for construction on the trail, particularly on Wednesday nights during our normal scheduled digs (6 PM to dark). It is also best practice to take it a bit easy on your first lap each time you're out and note any changes. We hope to continue to fill the trail with features and optional jumps/stunts throughout this season.

One more thing, I'd just like to throw out a huge thanks to all the volunteers who've shown up and made this trail possible. All of the evenings and weekends you guys (and gals) gave up is much appreciated!

Come out and ride!

A few pics courtesy of Adam Riser -

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice vid Summit! Always did love that song, fitting...

We had a huge crew turn out for our dig last night (THANKS to everyone that showed) and made some major revisions to one of the slower sections of the trail. It should be pinner now.

#15 ·
Was good to see you guys up there Sunday night Toni, hopefully one of these nights I can actually get out there to contribute with some digging now that my work schedule will allow for it. You asked that I let you know what I think about the trail after putting in some laps so here goes....

The trail is freaking awesome! I'm admittedly pretty shoddy when it comes to hitting drops/jumps so I didn't really know what to expect. First lap down I started out mellow and was using all the ride arounds but after skipping the ladder drop I got kinda pissed at myself and stopped. Took a quick hike back up to check it out and came to the conclusion that I needed loosen the fock up, relax, hit it with some speed and enjoy. After that point all was well, hit most the features coming down (all be it with too little speed, no style, and casing the hell out of everything) and had a blast. The trail is so cool because from the perspective of a relative novice to this kind of riding you can feel yourself progressing each and every run and even during the run from top to bottom. 2nd lap I held a little more speed and hit a couple more features and 3rd lap was even better where I actually managed to clear a few of the tables and only skipped a couple of the biggest features. All in all, the trail has fantastic flow and I could tell a lot of thought was put in to making it appropriate for nearly any skill level. I really can't wait to get up there again soon to make some more laps and work on what I've always felt is the weakest part of my riding.

Huge thanks to the folks that have been putting in the work to get this trail approved and built, hopefully I'll make it up there for one of the Wednesday night digs in the next few weeks.

#16 ·
MOST FUN TRAIL I HAVE HIT IN A LONG TIME!

The uphill isn't bad either..and makes you feel like you have accomplished something after riding it.... for some reason chairlifts never make you feel that good.. although, if Canyons bike park has runs that are anything like this..i will buy a summer pass...because some days you just have to ride lifts.

#19 ·
good to meet you two dudes as well. i am in love with that trail. still am not comfortable hitting every feature, but did surprise myself with what i was hitting in some instances. The nice thing about the trail is that I am comfortable hitting some stuff, but still feel like I can progress. The trail is really flowy and you can hold your speed well around most of the berms.

neilether ... what bike did you have, i likely saw you?

also... i had a run in with a moose on the way back, luckily my bake has been squeaking lately (elixer 5), so he got scared.

#20 ·
Heads up, we'll be working on the big 180 deg berm tonight from about 6:30 ish until dark. There's a hole developing in it. Going to fix it up and stack it taller before it's just too dry to work up there any more.

Thanks for all the comments guys/gals. While the rest of WAFTA hasn't necessarily been posting in this thread, most are aware of and appreciate the support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.