Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

We the people ... The NEW Draper DH dig thread

Ok... maybe it's me but I'm getting tired of scrolling through all the posts on the other thread so I thought I'd kick off another one!

First off, thanks to everybody who has been showing up and digging, sawing, and shaping this trail. We have done so much work in just a short time that I'm completely blown away. I think the trail is shaping up really well, thanks to all of you.

The plan is to work most Wednesday evenings until it's done. I can usually get there around 4:30 and there generally isn't an issue with tools (and yes, we should be getting our own soon) so I will have them there each Wednesday. Of course, it doesn't hurt to bring your own if you have them. We work until 7 - 7:30 or so.

We'll probably also have some weekend digging coming up. Not doing any this weekend due to the Memorial Day holiday, so take a break and go ride! The next weekend (May 31st) we'll be back out.

Cheers -

(Don't forget the 'Seasons' show at Brewvies this Thursday either!)

mtbr member
    To be clear, will there be a dig session tonight? Your email implies there is not. Not that I care much, I just want to know if there'll be tools available.

oootard

Yes. We will be digging tonight from about 4 to dark. See you guys out there.

mtbr member
    Cool, i'll hold buying my own tools for another day then. See you there!

oootard

Wednesday May 28. 400 pm. Next scheduled build day...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How did the work go last night? Any more pics? I will be there next wed. for sure.

oootard

Work went well. The trail is fast approaching its entry into the maples towards the bottom of the canyon. I will be up there tomorrow working on the trail, and Saturday morning there should be a rather large contingent.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    what time you going up tomorrow? maybe i can come dig for a few hours.

oootard

I will be there about 530.

mtbr member
    If it's raining, and it's Wednesday, well.... it must be time to be digging on trails at Draper!

Please pass the word - unless there is wicked rain, lightning, snow, or otherwise horrible conditions we'll still be digging tonight (a little rain doesn't hurt!). I'll be there with tools around 4:30, parked at the top. Err will be parking at the bottom with his truck. We'll dig until 7:30, walk DOWN the trail to the shuttle truck, and load tools and sweaty builders into his rig and ride back to the top! Should be back at your rig on top around 8pm.

We'll probably do the shuttle thing for a bit since we're pretty close to the middle of the trail.

See you out there tonight!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Thanks for all the hard work on this. With the late spring slowing things down a bit, we might have a DH trail to ride all summer.

Will try to make it out again next week. I have been selfishly wasting my dig time on my pumptrack. I know it's wrong, but it feels so right.

JMH

mtbr member
    Unless I hear differently I am going to show up Wednesday around 5pm with chains, come-alongs and a high-lift jack. If anyone else can bring pry bars, car jacks etc, that could be really useful. First one to move the rock gets to take it home as a souvenir.

If anyone has a better idea, or has got it rolling already, let me know so I don't have to drag this stuff down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleWhiteCaveman
    Unless I hear differently I am going to show up Wednesday around 5pm with chains, come-alongs and a high-lift jack. If anyone else can bring pry bars, car jacks etc, that could be really useful. First one to move the rock gets to take it home as a souvenir.

If anyone has a better idea, or has got it rolling already, let me know so I don't have to drag this stuff down.
    It was still there saturday afternoon... I think if we dig out the downhill side a bit, and perhaps a jack and pry bar or two, we should get this thing out of the way. I think it would be cool to see if we can move it just enough to get by, then possibly we can use it as an alternate line as people have suggested. I'll bring my come-along and some chains as well. Once we get this rock moved (and we will) it would be good to try the come-alongs again for stump removal.

And, two other thoughts: 1) Let's not have people further down that gully in case the thing starts really rolling well, and 2) steel toe boots (thanks to Chuky for the reminder)

oootard

and 3) banana slings (cross post from other thread)

You know you wear them...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    and 3) banana slings (cross post from other thread)

You know you wear them...
    Right, just make sure you roll slings strapped with steel. Safety first.

mtbr member
    Update; i have only one chain, 10-15' long. If anyone else has got on it would be a big help.

Just roll it......
    Yo,

My better half is in town this week and will be coming out to the Draper build day tomorrow, so put that woman to work!!

Less talking = more digging.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Where does everyone meet at? I could maybe come. I only live like .5 mile from the trail.

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Did the rock get moved? Sorry I missed yesterday - I'll be out saturday...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    Did the rock get moved? Sorry I missed yesterday - I'll be out saturday...
    Me too.

mtbr member
    Hell yeah it got moved. Come-alongs, chains, a high-jack lift, a pry bar, some rocks and a few stout scrub oaks was all it took. I even managed to not decapitate myself with the jack.

I was actually disappointed. I was hoping we'd have just cause to go to Phase II.

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    let me guess phase 3 was going to involve about 2 pounds of c-4 exlposives

mtbr member
    Not quite, though it would have been fun. The old timers used to drill holes then pound wet wooden pegs in. The expansion would split the rock. These days you can use some nifty expanding clays; expensive but cool.

Wow....i guess i just like to break stuff.

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    sounds like my last job -R&D engineer- break things for a living

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Is anyone going up to work on it this week?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast