New Amassa Back Trail??

Printable View

  • 02-01-2013
    neilether
    New Amassa Back Trail??
    I ran across this video over on utahmountainbiking.com :

    http://vimeo.com/58279268

    Anybody know where this is going to be?
  • 02-01-2013
    Jwind
    I don't know specifics, but evidently is going to be on top of the rim that jacksons skirts. Not sure where the trail head will start but I would imagine somewhere after Cliff Hanger and near the junction of RS/Jacksons/Amasa
  • 02-01-2013
    wasea04
    Hmm, looks cool. I'd love to skip the hike out of Rock Stacker!
  • 02-01-2013
    Jwind
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wasea04 View Post
    Hmm, looks cool. I'd love to skip the hike out of Rock Stacker!

    Well that's easy, just go down Jacksons :)

    But seriously, I don't think this trail well help with that.
  • 02-02-2013
    jan_nikolajsen
    the trail in the video will start in the vicinity of the false summit and go south and east, to rejoin the amasa back jeep road near the bottom. it is being talked about as predominantly a difficult downhill course, although not impossible to enjoy going up.
  • 02-03-2013
    KRob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    ... it is being talked about as predominantly a difficult downhill course, although not impossible to enjoy going up.

    Awesome!
  • 02-03-2013
    sidehiller1
    Great planning and trailbuilding going on in Moab area. Cant wait to get back there and ride the new trails. Thanks Moab folks.
  • 02-03-2013
    slimat99
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Awesome!

    What he said.
  • 02-04-2013
    neilether
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    the trail in the video will start in the vicinity of the false summit and go south and west, to rejoin the amasa back jeep road near the bottom. it is being talked about as predominantly a difficult downhill course, although not impossible to enjoy going up.

    I'm being a little bit directionally challenged here. Are you talking the false summit on the climb up Amasa Back jeep road (before the cliff hanger section)? If it is this section, south and west would put you directly off the cliff. I'm sure that I am reading your info. incorrectly. Can you elaborate a little bit?
  • 02-04-2013
    jan_nikolajsen
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    I'm being a little bit directionally challenged here. Are you talking the false summit on the climb up Amasa Back jeep road (before the cliff hanger section)? If it is this section, south and west would put you directly off the cliff. I'm sure that I am reading your info. incorrectly. Can you elaborate a little bit?

    Correct. My wrong. That would be south and EAST. Also edited original post.
  • 02-04-2013
    neilether
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    Correct. My wrong. That would be south and EAST. Also edited original post.

    Ahh, makes much more sense. Thanks for the clarification. I look forward to seeing it.
  • 02-06-2013
    evasive
    Yeah, this will be a great option for a quick loop. Thanks to everyone involved.
  • 02-07-2013
    neilether
    Any idea of when this will be ready to go? Planning a Mid-April trip and would like to check it out if possible.
  • 02-14-2013
    bykerider
    That vid is surprisingly awesomeo. I like seeing the huge rock inch around. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting trail builders!
  • 02-16-2013
    hfly
    Walked through the completed sections today. This will be a total game changer for Amasa. Beautiful, flowy ST.

    hfly
  • 02-16-2013
    slimat99
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hfly View Post
    Walked through the completed sections today. This will be a total game changer for Amasa. Beautiful, flowy ST.

    hfly


    Nothing beats a new trail! Do you think it will melt fast and not hold snow like Jackson's?
  • 02-16-2013
    hfly
    Almost the exact opposite exposure of Jackson's. Therefore, little held snow, just like the main Amasa climb a Kayenta ledge level or two above it.

    As I said, this trail is game changer for Amasa, like UPS and LPS were for Porc, or Pothole and Rockstacker were for Amasa years ago. It will be very popular.

    hfly
  • 02-20-2013
    princelee1019
    Thanks to everyone involved.
  • 02-20-2013
    albertdc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Any idea of when this will be ready to go? Planning a Mid-April trip and would like to check it out if possible.

    I'm planning a trip around the same time - I'm excited for this trail. Any idea what the estimated time to completion is?!?
  • 02-22-2013
    JMH
    Worked/raked/broke rocks for a few hours on this trail on Thursday and hope to go out again next week. The lower half should be rideable and lap-able from Amasa Back very soon. Very soon.

    The flow is great! It's not a techstravaganza like Rock Stacker or the Jackson's switchbacks, but it's not as mellow as Mag 7. The routing is smooth and the optional lines are beauties with some solid ledge drops to reasonable transitions.

    JMH
  • 02-22-2013
    evasive
    Awesome! Thanks for the update and the sweat, JMH. I'm really looking forward to checking it out in April.
  • 02-23-2013
    pat656
    Will you have a .gpx file on it?
  • 02-23-2013
    albertdc
    Re: New Amassa Back Trail??
    Awesome to hear that!
    Do you think it will be considered a one way downhill trail or will it be fun to do as an out and back, essentially bypassing part of the main Amasa back trail?
    Is it pretty easy to find?

    Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
  • 02-25-2013
    neilether
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pat656 View Post
    Will you have a .gpx file on it?

    I am also interested in this GPS file if anybody has one.
  • 02-25-2013
    JMH
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the update and the sweat, JMH. I'm really looking forward to checking it out in April.

    It's been a year long dream of a few dedicated folks and I was only out there for a couple of hours, so I wont take any credit. I am looking forward to it as well!
  • 02-27-2013
    JMH
    It's going to be recommended downhill only. Unsure about the schedule for the upper portion which is mostly paint on rock, but the lower portion is easy to find if you head out the Minesweeper jeep road at the Step Up jump. You will see the tire tracks. It comes out at the very first switchback of the traditional Amasa climb, a few hundred yards up from the wash.

    It's still not officially open and I don't have any say-so, so please respect the diggers and go ask at Poison Spider if it's ready to go. Thumbs up!
  • 02-27-2013
    albertdc
    Re: New Amassa Back Trail??
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    It's going to be recommended downhill only. Unsure about the schedule for the upper portion which is mostly paint on rock, but the lower portion is easy to find if you head out the Minesweeper jeep road at the Step Up jump. You will see the tire tracks. It comes out at the very first switchback of the traditional Amasa climb, a few hundred yards up from the wash.

    It's still not officially open and I don't have any say-so, so please respect the diggers and go ask at Poison Spider if it's ready to go. Thumbs up!

    :thumbup:

    Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
  • 03-01-2013
    JMH
    Lower Ahab is signed, painted and officially open.
  • 03-01-2013
    evasive
    New Amassa Back Trail??
    Awesome. Very excited to check this out.
  • 03-02-2013
    NoahColorado
    It is sick. Rode it today. A+
  • 03-03-2013
    Salt Cycles
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    It is sick. Rode it today. A+


    I second this post. Just rode it Friday and Saturday and it really brings a new flavor to Amasa Back. Trail conditions were perfect this last weekend - can't get much better than 60 degrees and dry packed trails.

    Hats off to the builders - thank you so much.

    More techie than at first and then moves into fast and flowey.

    All around a good time.

    The enterance is marked but it is a little ways off Amasa Back proper - they will be fixing this with a sign soon from what I was told.

    Have fun.
  • 03-07-2013
    slimat99
    I rode the 2 or so miles that's signed and open. Well done trail builders! Fun and flowy. I can't wait to see the upper section. I hope this new trail trend continues!
  • 03-07-2013
    neilether
    1 Attachment(s)
    I did some sleuthing and found a .gpx track for this trail (attached).
  • 03-08-2013
    84532
    went up yesterday and rode the lower section from "mid-point". freakin' brilliant! signage is up and easy to follow. basically, the trail heads down the shelf/ledge system that is right underneath the amasa back road. i'm hoping it will be rideable at least part way into summer since a lot of the trail was shaded in the afternoon.

    i shot some gopro footage, can't post it directly since this is my first post, but here's the youtube link...

    /watch?v=u2Ac3lAbj_A
  • 03-08-2013
    OpenLight
    Thanks for the video and the gpx files. Those added a lot of context for the new trail. We are headed down there in a month and I am excited to give it a try.
  • 03-08-2013
    KRob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 84532 View Post
    i shot some gopro footage, can't post it directly since this is my first post, but here's the youtube link...

    /watch?v=u2Ac3lAbj_A

    Thanks for the video. Can't wait to ride the Cap'n.
    I'll try and embed it for you.

    capt ahab - YouTube

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u2Ac3lAbj_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 03-09-2013
    84532
    thanks KRob.

    the video doesn't really do the trail justice. i should've gotten some third person shots of the terrain but i was having too much fun to get off the bike and dick around with the gopro.
  • 03-09-2013
    rideit
    Can anyone give a rundown on the history of this trail?
    Curious about how it came to be 'official'....
  • 03-09-2013
    Jwind
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Can anyone give a rundown on the history of this trail?
    Curious about how it came to be 'official'....

    If you are insinuating that an illegal trail is now a legal trail, that is not the case. You may be thinking of a near by trail that IS still illegal. CA was built with blood sweat and tears ;). Seriously though, this trail is mega fun. It's somewhat akin to some of the newish type trails at the Lunch Loops up in Junction. Tough enough but still fast and uber flowy.
  • 03-09-2013
    rideit
    H
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    If you are insinuating that an illegal trail is now a legal trail, that is not the case. You may be thinking of a near by trail that IS still illegal. CA was built with blood sweat and tears ;). Seriously though, this trail is mega fun. It's somewhat akin to some of the newish type trails at the Lunch Loops up in Junction. Tough enough but still fast and uber flowy.

    No, I wasn't really hinting at that. Just curious who flagged it, and how it was presented as a legitimate project.
  • 03-11-2013
    Penny
    Any idea on the length of the entire trail when it's completed?
  • 03-16-2013
    Breakable
    Mega Props to the design and build team of Captain Ahab. I'm not sure I'll ever do the two track down or Jackson's again. This is the kind of trail we need much more of everywhere. It is just an excellent addition to Amasa! Thank you!
  • 03-21-2013
    pat656
    New Amassa Back Trail??
    This is an amazing trail! Rode it yesterday, upper still not finished but lower is awesome!! Tons of flow, and probably my new favorite trail in the area.
  • 03-22-2013
    xcguy
    Are there signs at the bottom recommending "Downhill only, Do Not Enter" or is it just left to the discretion of all the riders who see new trail and want to go up it? Like I would :)
  • 03-22-2013
    Jwind
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Are there signs at the bottom recommending "Downhill only, Do Not Enter" or is it just left to the discretion of all the riders who see new trail and want to go up it? Like I would :)

    There is a sign. It really wouldn't be much fun to ride up. Maybe not as 'not fun' as riding up Rockstacker or Jacksons - but almost that 'not fun'...
  • 03-22-2013
    albertdc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    There is a sign. It really wouldn't be much fun to ride up. Maybe not as 'not fun' as riding up Rockstacker or Jacksons - but almost that 'not fun'...

    So how are people hitting the trail now? I though the upper part wasn't complete. Is there another entrance further up that is open to allow for riding now, or are people currently doing it as an out-and-back regardless. I'm going in 4 weeks, and I look forward to riding this trail... :)
  • 03-22-2013
    Jwind
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    So how are people hitting the trail now? I though the upper part wasn't complete. Is there another entrance further up that is open to allow for riding now, or are people currently doing it as an out-and-back regardless. I'm going in 4 weeks, and I look forward to riding this trail... :)

    There is a signed spin of from Amasa right before the Super 8. It's a maybe 1/2 a mile out the jeep road before you'll hit low Ahab.
  • 03-22-2013
    albertdc
    Re: New Amassa Back Trail??
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    There is a signed spin of from Amasa right before the Super 8. It's a maybe 1/2 a mile out the jeep road before you'll hit low Ahab.

    "Before" super 8 - is that above or below? In other words, while climbing or descending Amasa? I was thinking of climbing Amasa and going to pothole arch, then hitting the new trail on the way down. I've never ridden it with people who knew it well, so I'm now sure what Super 8 is, but I do know the entrance to Rockstacker. Does this start in that area as well? Which side of the Amassa trail is it on while descending back down?
    Thanks again - don't want to miss it! :thumbup:

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • 03-22-2013
    Jwind
    It's the big drop that doubles back on it self - before cliffhanger. Well before Rockstacker or even Jackson. Maybe 2 miles in? It's well marked and it peels of to the left.
  • 03-22-2013
    albertdc
    Re: New Amassa Back Trail??
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    It's the big drop that doubles back on it self - before cliffhanger. Well before Rockstacker or even Jackson. Maybe 2 miles in? It's well marked and it peels of to the left.

    Thanks

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2